Hungarian AMD-65 AK-47

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Bravo, May 17, 2008.

1. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Hungarian AMD-65 AK-47 rifle with side folding stock.

AK lovers / Experts, when you see this gun, what comes to mind?

I like the look, I like the price.

Reversing the pistol grip and putting it as a front grip seems weird, but maybe it works.

Should I avoid this like the plague, or do you folks think it's a decent rifle?

2. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Honestly, it would probably be a decent AK (not sure on the quality, as I haven't looked into it), but I've always not liked it's design:
    1. Don't like the front grip at all. It looks like it doesn't know if it's coming or going.
    2. Don't like the side folding stock. I like the Romanian better if you're going to get one.
    3. Don't like the muzzle break. I've never liked the look of most muzzle breaks with very few exception; I prefer flash hiders or the slant break.

That's just my opinion, though. It could very well be a darn good AK.

3. Personally, I've always found them to be the ugly red headed stepchild of AK's.
    That being said, they are fine rifles just as good as any other Euro AK. (milled & Chinese being the exception). It would depend on who did the build. Being that it's being offered from J&G I can only assume these are Century built rifles which makes me very leery to purchase one unless I could check it out first hand. Century has a reputation of letting drunken monkeys do most of their AK building (quality control is almost non-existant). Once in a while they do happen to get one put together correctly.
    Although they usually will take one back for repair or replacement.
    Just my .02.

4. If I had the cash I'd jump on it. I've always loved the AMD design. It looks like a fun toy.

5. Reverse the forward grip and put a Romanian wire stock on it and I'd buy it.

6. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Not sure how well the stock would work...seems like you'd have difficulty getting a good stock cheek weld. That being said, I would just on it if I had the money! I like the gas tube that way and the foregrip doesn't seem that bad. I'm sure it could be flipped around if you want it. The muzzle break would be a screw on I'd think, and as such you can easily replace it with a slant if need be. The stock is easy to change if you want to do that. I'd say get it. The reviews on it are good also.

7. Rumbek

Rumbek Guest

AMD 65

I train Afghan Police on the Hungarian AMD 65 which is one of the most prevalent AKs in this country at the time.

The weapon is a very good weapon for what it was designed for.

When the average shooter fires it compared to a standard AKM it is much easier to control in full auto mode due to fore grip and flash suppressor design.

It is AK reliable.

The stock was not designed for any type of cheek stock weld.

The biggest problem with the gun is the tube stock which can and does break if handled like a club which is also common here

One of the better compact AKs out there.