Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow...this is unusual....https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/hunter-killed-by-deer-hed-shot-that-got-back-up-and-attacked-him/

Authorities and wildlife officials with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission have reported the death of 66-year-old Thomas Alexander, who shot a buck near Yellville with a muzzleloader.

“I’ve worked for the Game and Fish Commission for 20 years, and it’s one of the stranger things that’s happened,” said Keith Stephens, the Chief of Communications with the agency, according to KY3.com....

·
Registered
24,835 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Here in Maine, it is legal to carry a handgun when hunting during firearm, muzzleloader, archery, or night hunting seasons (racoon or coyote only at night).
That can be concealed carry as well. You just can't use the handgun to hunt with, nor to finish off an animal, except where legal to also use a long gun.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
This is why after I shoot a deer with a rifle I load a round and then walk up to the deer and stick the muzzle on it eyeball. Nothing can stand having something touch its eyeball, if it quivers or moves in any way, I pull the trigger. Bow season I use a long stick so I'm not as close and can get out of the way. So far I've not had any issues

·
Premium Member
11,339 Posts
Yellville is 22 miles west of Mountain home , our town. Pretty close to home.
A few years back we had a young man gored by a buck on a bike trail during the rut. Game and Fish shot it , removed the horns and gave them to the boy.
Not Disney's variety I guess!
Timely post.

There’s a new childcare place in town that sits on the grounds of a former elementary school.

The other day, the maintenance guy told me they have a bunch of does and a couple bucks that live in the nearby woods and eat the grass on the playground daily. Whistlepigs, too.

The deer are used to people and usually only move a few feet away when the munchkins are on the playground.

Long story short, the school ‘administration’ thinks it’s a great idea to have the deer and groundhogs around for the chaps to appreciate nature.

We’re getting ready to hit rut here. I have serious concerns for the kids’ safety around those bucks, let alone the dangers of deer ticks and fleas.

·
Premium Member
12,387 Posts
Never thought of that Jay. Fun with squirrels too!

I usually walk up an step on his testicle. NOBODY can take that!
...but, in order to step on him, you have to be dangerously close.... just sayin'

·
Premium Member
6,611 Posts
Some years ago a friend was nearly killed. He shot a large Mule Buck near a deep mountain stream.
He went to retrieve the deer. It reared up sticking an antler into his thigh. Both deer and man fell in to the creek.
He was unable to get the antler from his leg. The large deer was holding him under water. He got to his belt knife and began stabbing the deer.
He would remain in a hospital for several days.

·
Registered
10,480 Posts
This is why after I shoot a deer with a rifle I load a round and then walk up to the deer and stick the muzzle on it eyeball. Nothing can stand having something touch its eyeball, if it quivers or moves in any way, I pull the trigger. Bow season I use a long stick so I'm not as close and can get out of the way. So far I've not had any issues
that is exactly what I do too.

·
Registered
24,835 Posts
That's why it is important to approach your kill from the back with a round in the chamber safety off, gun up ready to shoot.
Good advice for "self defense" shootings, too. THEN, call 911. Just sayin'.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
37,468 Posts
The two deer I shot had their throats and spines blown out, they bled out before I got out of the box stand and to them. No way they were getting up!

Reactions: 60942 and jwrauch
1 - 20 of 31 Posts