Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
He was a fool. He made a bad mistake.

That right there is a perfect example of why I use my my BRAIN when hunting, regardless of the weapon I am carrying.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
36,196 Posts
Here in Maine, it is legal to carry a handgun when hunting during firearm, muzzleloader, archery, or night hunting seasons (racoon or coyote only at night).
That can be concealed carry as well. You just can't use the handgun to hunt with, nor to finish off an animal, except where legal to also use a long gun.
Even in the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York, the state game laws allow hunters to carry a pistol for defense against animals. We do get black bears here. .44 Magnums are popular for that mission.

That was how I got to fire a S&W Model 29, BTW. I was at the range practicing with my Model 57 Yugo Tokarev, and a hunter who was practicing with his Model 29 came over to find out whatinhell I was shooting that was louder than his Dirty Harry gun. He wanted to try it, and I wanted to try his Model 29 with the 6 inch barrel, so we swapped for one magazine of 7.62 Tok and one cylinder of standard .44 Magnum.

He enjoyed shooting that Tok, and I told him where he could find one and about what he should expect to pay. (And yes, he later went and bought one.)

I kept all six rounds on target, about a 6 inch group at 10 yards, not bad for my first time shooting a .44 Magnum, I think; good enough to put down a goblin. The BANG of the big Model 29 did not affect me, nor the size of the pistol, because I own a S&W Model 25 target pistol in .45 ACP and I didn't notice a weight difference. But six rounds of factory standard .44 Magnum made my wrist ache for three hours. I guess it's a little too much gun for me. Still want to own one, though, a Model 29-2 with the six inch barrel. Collector mania, you know.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
22,888 Posts
Timely post.

There’s a new childcare place in town that sits on the grounds of a former elementary school.

The other day, the maintenance guy told me they have a bunch of does and a couple bucks that live in the nearby woods and eat the grass on the playground daily. Whistlepigs, too.

The deer are used to people and usually only move a few feet away when the munchkins are on the playground.

Long story short, the school ‘administration’ thinks it’s a great idea to have the deer and groundhogs around for the chaps to appreciate nature.

We’re getting ready to hit rut here. I have serious concerns for the kids’ safety around those bucks, let alone the dangers of deer ticks and fleas.
It'll probably be fine, but the tykes may start asking questions about why that buck is losing a game of leapfrog.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts