close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hunters feeding the needy

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by grizcty, Mar 19, 2017.

1. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

I am glad to see this. :D

[​IMG]

jwrauch, Kmcdowell, Cyrano and 11 others like this.
  2. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

But the greenies would rather ban hunting, causing more hunger among the needy at the same time causing the wildlife herds to grow to the point they cannot sustain themselves causing them to decline due to disease and starvation. Liberal logic is illogical.

jwrauch, austinjoe13, TACAV and 6 others like this.

3. When we were struggling a couple of years ago I got 3 deer gifted to me through NC Hunters for Hungry. Seems the program has disappeared, which is too bad, because I wanted to give back next season. The program was terrific.

Those in need and those who wanted to help signed up on the site, and if a hunter in your area had more than they could use, or just wanted to bag their limit, they'd reach out to someone on the receiving list, met up, gifted the critter along with their hunting license info, and the recipient could dress it out themselves or take it to a processor who'd do it for free.

I've always been an advocate for sharing the wealth because it gives most hunters the chance to enjoy their sport while helping others.

4. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

This is a great thing. I'm surprised the USDA hasn't gotten involved in this to stop it. Not to get political but it looks like the liberal Dem. states do very little. East and West Coast in particular. Could it be because of their gun laws? I've heard first hand stories of people from NYC shooting cows thinking they were deer.

PAPA G, grizcty and ncnascarlady like this.
  5. We always donate at least one every year !.............

6. Seems the Human race has been doing that to the
    Worlds population for centurys.
    They are having a tough time of it,but still trying:)

Keep the country beautiful...plant a Greenie.

ncnascarlady and PAPA G like this.
  7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Well the Green area on the map accounts for only 1% of donated venison. No telling why, but its a shame any way.

ncnascarlady likes this.
  8. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

clapping audience.gif clapping audience.gif clapping audience.gif clapping audience.gif

PAPA G likes this.
  9. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

It's not just the East and West Coast leftists. It doesn't have a lot to do with the gun laws, either, NYC excepted. To own a longarm there, you have to get police permission (!) and get pre-approved before you can buy it. In the rest of the region, longarms don't require permission, just a NICS check. It has more to do with the urban mindset, from what I can tell. NYC is no different from Boston, Philly, Chicago, Cleveland, or any other city within easy driving distance of good deer hunting habitat.

Her Imperial Majesty's mother lives in a small town in Wisconsin that has a number of dairy farms, and H.I.M. graduated high school there. They mostly run Holsteins. During hunting season, the herds are kept in the pastures nearest the barns and milking parlors; but just to be safe, the farmers paint "COW" on the sides of their beasts. Even at that, the Dowager Empress says the farmers lose a couple of cows every year to "hunters" from Chicago who come up to Wisconsin looking to shoot a deer, can't find one, get drunked up and decide to shoot them a cow. Sometimes the farmers can catch the moron with the rifle, sometimes not. When they do, the city boy is usually given the choice of paying for the cow or going to jail. Most pay up and never come back.

The attitude seems to be that since they have come all this way, they ain't a-gonna go home without killin' somepin. You know the type; the ones who go through about 20 cartridges a year, mostly to make sure their rifles are zeroed.

PAPA G likes this.
  10. I've never used a formal organization, but I have filled quite a few doe tags for folks I knew wanted/needed the meat.

11. Pronsias

Pronsias G&G Addict

NV
    I can only speak for my experience, but tags are harder to get than what I understand whitetail hunters go through. Mule terrritory is rougher and harvest is sometimes harder. So any meat is for my own freezer.

PAPA G likes this.
  12. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist

Omaha NE
    likes load.jpg

PAPA G likes this.
  13. Rambo

Rambo I just shot your dog in this fight Forum Contributor

The USDA is invloved. Any donated deer has to be processed in a USDA inspected facility, to USDA standards. That's why I give whole deer to certain families that know how to process it themselves.

PAPA G, Kmcdowell and ncnascarlady like this.
  14. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The western states (Green area) has such low venison donation numbers for one simple reason and it has nothing to do with politics or generosity.

There aren't any deer out there to hunt let alone donate lol. ;)

[​IMG]

And the North Eastern states while having alot of deer are also multiple of times smaller than the southern and midwestern state geograpghical regions and thus less deer and hunters by default.

As for NY, there are plenty of hunters in every other place other than NYC lol. So the rest of the state.

All of my extended family members (who didn't live in or near the city) in upstate NY all were hunters and one of my friends who I work with now in MD who is also from upstate NY is a huge life long hunter. He used to go back up to NY to hunt with his dad every season but now (since his dad died) and he has his own son he hunts here in MD more often but still makes trips back up north to NY or farther north east as well.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 1:17 PM
    PAPA G and ncnascarlady like this.
  15. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

You beat me to it. :D THANK YOU for pointing that out.

I spent 7 years "hunting deer" in commiefornia, and I lived where folks came to hunt. I would see, maybe, a half dozen does (which we weren't allowed to shoot - the state needed to save them for automobile destruction) during the whole season, in the areas allowed to hunt. In my town of 2,500 population, there were a couple dozen "serious" deer hunters, and I never heard of more than three getting a deer during the season.

Meanwhile, the deer were overrunning the populated areas around the town, because the idiot libtards would feed them!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    PAPA G and TACAV like this.
  16. Pronsias

Pronsias G&G Addict

NV
    Your premise is right, but I'm poking around and that looks like a whitetail map. We don't have them West of Colorado or so, so there aren't any to donate! And where they do exist, they are usually called something else (like Coues deer in AZ).

TACAV likes this.
  17. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

So you're breaking the law. lol

18. Rambo

Rambo I just shot your dog in this fight Forum Contributor

Nah, it has to be processed. I give away unprocessed deer meat.

19. blue fox

blue fox G&G Evangelist

we used to (and probably still do) get them in Vt and NH from NYC doing the same thing. Folks would actually take their deer statues off the front lawn for that very reason. There were stories of "hunters" showing up at tag stations with goats thinking they had a small buck. :mad:

20. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I know the guys at one of the local clubs donate pretty much all their meat to shelters.

ncnascarlady likes this.