Hunting and Mossberg 590A1

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by ajrunke, Aug 21, 2010.

1. ajrunke

ajrunke G&G Newbie

I'm currently in the market for a home defense shotgun. I am set for the most part on the Mossberg 590A1, but I'm curious if it can be used for a bird gun too. Can I swap barrels on this model? I know some have interchangeable barrels and I'd like a longer one for hunting birds. If a barrel swap is attainable with this gun, then it's a for sure buy for me. If not, could someone recommend a nice home defense/field gun? I looked at the 500, but I like the speed feed ability and the 9 shell capability of the 590A1.

Thank you.

2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Yepper,barrels interchange.The one big difference in the M500 and M590 is the M590 has metal parts (such as safety) where they might be plastic on the M500. ,,,sam.

3. You know I dought you can put a 500 barrel on a 590 because of the 9 round extended magazine the 590 has. A 500's part with the thread bolt you screw into the end of the magazine would need to be located more towards the muzzel on a 500 barrel to work on a 590's 9 round magazine.

So it appears you can't put a 500 barrel on a 590 with extended 9 round magazine.

Apparently the Mossberg 590 shotgun's with 20" barrels and 9 round magazines have to stay what they are.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Answer - Chosen by Asker
    Nopers, as Fate said. The mag tube on the 590a1 is too long. The 835 barrel will fit an 18.5" 590a1, though. It will also fit the new tactical breacher etc.

The Mossy 500 system is a basic shotgun action that allows you to mix and match parts to build any finished, purpose-designed gun you want. You can take a 500 receiver and add wood furniture and a high rib skeet barrel etc....or the receiver, synthetic stock, and add an 8 shot mag tube (the 7+1 Persuader) for home security....or the 500 receiver and an even longer/stronger barrel/tube with a bayonet lug for a combat weapon as in the 590a1 etc. Your 590a1 is a finished design built for one purpose only, combat. You won't find any extra barrels for it.

Now here's where we get creative: You can, however, convert your gun back to a lower, lesser purpose-designed gun and add a slug barrel. That means you can remove the 590a1 mag tube that won't fit anything, add a 500 mag tube instead, and use all 500 barrels you can find.

Get yourself a parkerized 5+1 mag tube (park to match your gun, or blue to match the barrel) from gunbroker.com or Numrich (approx $25 plus $8 for a new mag spring) and you'll be able to use *all* 500 barrels. You can then switch back and forth from each in approx two minutes. I've got guns here that I switch four and five barrels on sometimes. I can always make just the right gun to suit my purpose. ,,,Part right,part wrong.
    ,,,sam.

5. alaskanhunter

alaskanhunter G&G Newbie

Mossberg 590 is a great gun, used by the military. I have the moss 500 and I love it

6. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

NO! The models with the longer magazine tube DO NOT accept the long barrels because the ring that attaches the barrel to the tube is too far back!

Now, you CAN swap the tube too, but by the time you buy a $150 barrel and a $90 tube, you may as well buy another shotgun.

The only difference between the 500 and the 590 is that the 590 has a metal trigger gaurd, and a bayonet lug. 590A1 also comes with AR15 style sites.

I have a 500, and would kill for a bayonet lug, but the 500 will never fail me.

Get whichever one you want for home defense and get an 88 maverick (it's a 500 with no flash or frills or options of any kind) for birds.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  7. ajrunke

ajrunke G&G Newbie

Thanks for all the replies.