Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandfather is getting on in years ( soon to be 88), and has decided to sell off the remaining cattle on his farm. That said there is this one bull who seems to have gone rogue and won't come in to the lot where we feed the cattle, or anywhere near the loading area. We are considering a tranquilizer gun, but if that doesn't work we are going to have to do the bull in ourselves. My question is which of the following options will do the job cleanest, perhaps from 30- 50 yards

1. Mosin Nagant
2. Enfield .303
3. .410 slug gun
4. Black Powder .50 cal

I'm looking for honest opinions here. Feel free to suggest type of ammo for your choice as well. It's kind of a dirty job, I want it to be as smooth as possible.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
7.62x54r in a heavy steal-core bullet to the brain-bucket...

·
Super Moderator
4,556 Posts
I agree with Swede cattle have some thick skulls go with a 7.62x54r

·
Registered
24 Posts
When we slaughter a steer a .22 long rifle does the trick.Draw an imaginary line between the eyes go about 1 inch + or - above that and bingo 1 dead critter be aware I am talking about a range of 25 yards or less.If you can't get within that range any large caliber round in the head will also do the trick perferably right below the ear.Cattle skulls are not that thick and the danger of ricochets is very small ELMO

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,122 Posts
When you care enough to send the very best...

Go to the gun shop and get yourself a box of Selliers & Beloit 203 grain softpoints in 7.62x54R. That cartridge will drop any game animal in North America up to and including a grizzly bear. It will "git 'r done" for your rogue bull.

With that load, the Mosin Nagant is definitely the right gun for this mission.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Its between the mosin and the enfield, but I would take the mosin because the 7.62x54R packs a bit more punch. I probably use either heavy ball milsurplus or some SilverBear 203gr soft points. That'll do the job. A .410 slug is far too weak, and you only get one shot with a muzzleloader.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I agree with the others, out of the list you gave the Mosin Nagant.

·
Registered
6,283 Posts
Or the Barnul 203's I like those... but I agree with the above the Mosin would be the way to go

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
pay someone to get the bull, there are people that do that kinda thing for a living. Unless you just want to shoot him than you have your answer already.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
pay someone to get the bull, there are people that do that kinda thing for a living. Unless you just want to shoot him than you have your answer already.
I agree with the above. If you don't want that bull in your freezer then there are a lot of people who will come get that bull for you. Even auction houses have cowboys they can send out to get that bull to auction.

If you shoot that bull, then you will have to deal with butchering a 1000 pound plus animal by yourself. There are easier ways.

But, as stated above...if you just want to shoot the bull....at the range you are talking even a 38 special would work.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Why pay someone to get it to the slaughter- house ?? Do you have the equipment ??

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Try a personal communication (letter,e-mail,telephone,and negotiate with him first.)Possibly a short course on negotiation would help. How to Negotiate: Negotiation Skills for any Situation ,,,Try the chain of command from your local animal control right on through to the United Nations.Whatever happens,"DO NOT" take the law in your own hands or resort to violence.It is no longer politically correct.You can talk this over with the bull,just like they negotiate with the radical moslims.

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
a wild bull will be easier to negotiate with then a Islamofacist. the bull also won't lie to trick you later.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I wouldn't try n shoot him when he is faceing you. Aim for right behind the ear for a side shot. Or the base of the skull start of the spine when shooting from behind. I've seen several cow skulls, you'd be surprized how thick the front is. There is very little in comparison in the rear.

but anything larger then a 22mag will do the job, with the right ammo and shot placement.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
The title of this thread, "Hunting Feral Cattle" caught my attention. I'm not aware of having feral cattle in this part of the country. Also, there's no hunting involved. Maybe the thread could have been How to slaughter a bull.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts