Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be a good idea to hunt small game with a mosin nagant loaded with mil surp full metal jacket ammo? I know if I used soft point ammo that would blast too big a hole through them and ruin much of the meat, but what about full metal jacket?

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
Cheap is not what is important what is important to remember is that you are supposed to be a sportsman and men that care about the sport of hunting also care about the animals that they harvest and FMJ is not a hunting buller and it will wound more than it will kill. Get a 22 if you want to shoot cheap and get the proper ammo for your mosin if you want to hunt with it, that is the right thing to do.
Steve.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
One must ask oneself with a 22 LR having a range of over a mile what is the range of a 7.62X54R. If you were to shoot a squirrel in a tree with a Mosin, where is your bullet gonna go, how far??? You'd be better served with a properly sighted in 22 and be picky about your shots.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
again i ask. why is it inhumane to kill an animal with an FMJ yet its perfectly humane to kill a human with one?
If you're talking about carrying a gun loaded with FMJs for self defense, then that is not okay. Hollow points should always be used for that.

If you're talking about FMJs being used in war, that is because it is illegal to use anything but FMJs.

·
Registered
552 Posts
shooting game with FMJ is not inhumane, but it is dangerous in 2 parts. while it doesn't expand, cavatation of the bullet will cause a good enough wound channel to kill anything if you hit the vitals. PROPER SHOT PLACEMENT is most important, something that allot of US hunters lack according to professional hunters in Africa, who relied on FMJ's for years before modern bullet tech caught up with the demands of punching threw heavy hide, sinue and bone with military calibers like the .303 brit.

more times then not, a shot placed to high would pizz the bajebeses out of large, toothy critters with FMJ's, where bones would have shattered and more trauma would have been inflicted by an alloy or soft tip bullet, leading to bad juju for the guy behind the trigger! that's what led them to be banned for dangerous game up here in Ak anyways.

what is most dangerous is where that bullet ends up after exiting the game. while even some soft tip, core bonded, super bullets will pass threw game, they've either spent a good chunk of there energy coming out, or will on the nearest tree if you miss. FMJ's will zip threw the woods for quite a distance before running out of steam

·
Premium Member
26,919 Posts
again i ask. why is it inhumane to kill an animal with an FMJ yet its perfectly humane to kill a human with one?

Probably the biggest advantage of the FMJ on the battlefield is the number of combatants who were not killed outright by the shot, but seriously wounded requiring quick removal from the front lines. That requires medics, a number of rifleman pulled off of the line to act as stretcher bearers, transportation by jeeps, trucks, helos, etc. If you couple that then with the economics involved with rehabilitation, prosthetics, wheel chairs, therapy, etc for a disabled combatant you will understand the political reasoning behind a FMJ bullet on the battlefield. A much more lethal H/P or S/P bullet could never inflict that much of a financial toll on your adversaries for decades to come. War is essentially a rich mans game with political undercurrents.

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
shooting game with FMJ is not inhumane, but it is dangerous in 2 parts. while it doesn't expand, cavatation of the bullet will cause a good enough wound channel to kill anything if you hit the vitals. PROPER SHOT PLACEMENT is most important, something that allot of US hunters lack according to professional hunters in Africa, who relied on FMJ's for years before modern bullet tech caught up with the demands of punching threw heavy hide, sinue and bone with military calibers like the .303 brit.

more times then not, a shot placed to high would pizz the bajebeses out of large, toothy critters with FMJ's, where bones would have shattered and more trauma would have been inflicted by an alloy or soft tip bullet, leading to bad juju for the guy behind the trigger! that's what led them to be banned for dangerous game up here in Ak anyways.

what is most dangerous is where that bullet ends up after exiting the game. while even some soft tip, core bonded, super bullets will pass threw game, they've either spent a good chunk of there energy coming out, or will on the nearest tree if you miss. FMJ's will zip threw the woods for quite a distance before running out of steam
Shooting the game animals in teh lowers U.S. is inhumane because it wounds many more animals than it kills out right they suffer a long and lingering death from a wounnd that meerly passed through them with out hitting anything that will kill them quickly and they get the infection and all the the suffering that goes with it. SO i absolutley disagree with you H-BAR., and we are not hunting african game here that is a whole different conversation.
Steve

·
Registered
552 Posts
Shooting the game animals in teh lowers U.S. is inhumane because it wounds many more animals than it kills out right they suffer a long and lingering death from a wounnd that meerly passed through them with out hitting anything that will kill them quickly and they get the infection and all the the suffering that goes with it. SO i absolutley disagree with you H-BAR., and we are not hunting african game here that is a whole different conversation.
Steve
i don't see it as any different then missing the engine room with an arrow, but i doubt to many would consider bowhunting inhumane. it all goes back to my 1st paragraph, most US hunters aren't practiced enough to put the metal to the meat, rush shots, and wound game with any bullet. i find moose and sheep left to the bears every year from poor shooting, even with FMJ's banned. do i use them? no, only in my .45 ACP, i wouldn't hunt anything with them, but to me it's more of a worry where my shot ends up then if it will kill, FMJ's will do that just fine if you do your part, just like an arrow.

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
Apparently you did not read the name of this forum it is SMALL GAME HUNTING. Now tell me some more about FMJ.
Steve

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree with sbowers5 on this one. Back when I got my M44 Mosin I shot a groundhog end for end with whatever the yellow tipped fmj ammo is and I know I hit it because when I walked down there there was intestines laying in the yard and the groundhog wasn't smart enough to know he was dead because it made it back to the hole. Never again did I shoot any animals with fmj ammo lesson learned,

·
Registered
552 Posts
i'm sorry if i angered you, i was just adressing why FMJ's are not good for any offhand shots at game, the OP seemed a little confused as to why everyone was on him for considering them for filling a stew pot! lol!

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all of your input, I was simply wondering if I could use my Mosin to hunt small game with if I loaded fmj bullets in it. I guess I'll just stick with head shots. By the way the only ammo I own for my mosin is soft point and I thought since the mil surp fmj's are so cheap and I need a gun for hunting small game and predators maybe I should get some fmj's, that way I would not have to buy a whole new gun and would be able to use cheaper ammo to boot. But according to you guys that was a bad idea.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts