Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,712 Posts
again i ask. why is it inhumane to kill an animal with an FMJ yet its perfectly humane to kill a human with one?
If you're talking about carrying a gun loaded with FMJs for self defense, then that is not okay. Hollow points should always be used for that.

If you're talking about FMJs being used in war, that is because it is illegal to use anything but FMJs.

· Registered
1,712 Posts
Why are you so dang set on using FMJ bullets for hunting???? For varmints like coyotes use a ballistic tip or soft point bullet that will fragment inside the animal. For deer use a good soft point bullet of that will expand and retain as much weight as possible. For small game like squirrels and rabbits, just use a .22.

· Registered
1,712 Posts
sure leave out the scatter guns, for one dont shoot into the air at any animal unless you got a shotgun they dont travel far with bird shot. or use .22 birt shot. at thirty yards its like using sand paper on your target lol
Shotguns work great for squirrels and rabbits. But that .22 bird shot is only meant to be used on snakes at point blank range. That stuff doesn't even kill a bird at 5 yards. I can't imagine you would even hit a 10 foot target at 30 yards with it.

· Registered
1,712 Posts
I need a bolt action because it is Illegal to hunt with a semi-auto where I live, the Marlin model 60 isn't. is it?

The only savage .22 (Mark II) I have seen around where I live was about 200 dollars that is a little more than I would like to pay I'm thinking about a hundred dollars, are there any savage .22's in that price range?
Go to Walmart and get a Savage Mark II F .22lr. They sell for about $127. I had one that was super accurate but it didn't feed well all the time. Probably just a lemon as I have heard others have had good luck with them.

Are you sure you aren't allowed to hunt small game with a semi auto .22? That seems weird.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts