Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be a good idea to hunt small game with a mosin nagant loaded with mil surp full metal jacket ammo? I know if I used soft point ammo that would blast too big a hole through them and ruin much of the meat, but what about full metal jacket?

· Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all of your input, I was simply wondering if I could use my Mosin to hunt small game with if I loaded fmj bullets in it. I guess I'll just stick with head shots. By the way the only ammo I own for my mosin is soft point and I thought since the mil surp fmj's are so cheap and I need a gun for hunting small game and predators maybe I should get some fmj's, that way I would not have to buy a whole new gun and would be able to use cheaper ammo to boot. But according to you guys that was a bad idea.

· Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, I probably will be getting a bolt action .22 for hunting small game. I found out that it is Illegal to hunt small game in PA with anything larger than .23 so .17, .22 Lr., .22 mag, .22-250 and .223 would be my only options. However I cannot find anywhere that says you cannot hunt predators with fmj so I am considering that. I cannot find a single reason (other than a ricochet possibility but I always make certain of a good backstop behind where i will be shooting) that it would be any better to hunt predators with a .223 which only expands to about the size of a 7.62x54r fmj, maybe even slightly larger but the mosin has more powder and probably as much or at least almost as much knockdown power. If I am missing anything please point them out.

· Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Why are you so dang set on using FMJ bullets for hunting???? For varmints like coyotes use a ballistic tip or soft point bullet that will fragment inside the animal. For deer use a good soft point bullet of that will expand and retain as much weight as possible. For small game like squirrels and rabbits, just use a .22.
Do you know anywhere that I could get some 7.62x54r fragmenting bullets? Sorry for being so difficult.

· Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I already have some Prvi Partizan ammo and am planning to hunt deer with either that or some Brown Bear sp that I own. Both of those however are a little big (damage the pelts is what I mean) for furbearers, are they not? If I start reloading (which I hope and plan on doing) I will probably get some Barnes RRLP Bullets. Thanks for all of your trouble in answering my questions.

· Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I'd go for a Marlin Model 60
I need a bolt action because it is Illegal to hunt with a semi-auto where I live, the Marlin model 60 isn't. is it?

Savage is hard to beat.
The only savage .22 (Mark II) I have seen around where I live was about 200 dollars that is a little more than I would like to pay I'm thinking about a hundred dollars, are there any savage .22's in that price range?

· Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Okay so I guess the place I was looking is way over priced, that is good to know.

Yes it is rather strange that you cannot hunt in PA with a semi auto .22 especially because they let you hunt with a semi auto shotgun as long as it only has 3 shot shells in it.

Do any of you know anything about the Romanian training .22? I think they are rather inexpensive so I would be interested in one. Does anyone know what they were a training rifle for? a mosin?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts