Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
552 Posts
shooting game with FMJ is not inhumane, but it is dangerous in 2 parts. while it doesn't expand, cavatation of the bullet will cause a good enough wound channel to kill anything if you hit the vitals. PROPER SHOT PLACEMENT is most important, something that allot of US hunters lack according to professional hunters in Africa, who relied on FMJ's for years before modern bullet tech caught up with the demands of punching threw heavy hide, sinue and bone with military calibers like the .303 brit.

more times then not, a shot placed to high would pizz the bajebeses out of large, toothy critters with FMJ's, where bones would have shattered and more trauma would have been inflicted by an alloy or soft tip bullet, leading to bad juju for the guy behind the trigger! that's what led them to be banned for dangerous game up here in Ak anyways.

what is most dangerous is where that bullet ends up after exiting the game. while even some soft tip, core bonded, super bullets will pass threw game, they've either spent a good chunk of there energy coming out, or will on the nearest tree if you miss. FMJ's will zip threw the woods for quite a distance before running out of steam

· Registered
552 Posts
Shooting the game animals in teh lowers U.S. is inhumane because it wounds many more animals than it kills out right they suffer a long and lingering death from a wounnd that meerly passed through them with out hitting anything that will kill them quickly and they get the infection and all the the suffering that goes with it. SO i absolutley disagree with you H-BAR., and we are not hunting african game here that is a whole different conversation.
Steve
i don't see it as any different then missing the engine room with an arrow, but i doubt to many would consider bowhunting inhumane. it all goes back to my 1st paragraph, most US hunters aren't practiced enough to put the metal to the meat, rush shots, and wound game with any bullet. i find moose and sheep left to the bears every year from poor shooting, even with FMJ's banned. do i use them? no, only in my .45 ACP, i wouldn't hunt anything with them, but to me it's more of a worry where my shot ends up then if it will kill, FMJ's will do that just fine if you do your part, just like an arrow.

· Registered
552 Posts
i'm sorry if i angered you, i was just adressing why FMJ's are not good for any offhand shots at game, the OP seemed a little confused as to why everyone was on him for considering them for filling a stew pot! lol!

· Registered
552 Posts
The point you are missing is, the FMJ bullets pass through an animal without expanding therefore they do not kill efficently and you are going to wound a lot of animals who then die a very slow and horrible death which is what I tried my best to explain in an earlier post. They were not designed to hunt with period.
Steve
and my point that you missed completely, is that if you hit the animal in the heart, spine, or brain, it doesn't matter if it's an FMJ or SP/HP/BT. it will die just as fast! if your hunting small game for hide, head shots should be the norm weather you use a .22 or a varmint rifle, since body shots with each ruin pelts, and fragmenting bullets wreck meat. it's funny to be arguing about something i disagree with, but in all actuality, some designs of FMJ rifle ammunition inflict more destructive wound channels than others since not all FMJ bullets contain a simple lead filling.

case in point, the brit mark 7 .303 ammunition was compliant with the terms of the Hague convention and one of the more available surplus rounds. it creates more destructive wound channel than standard HP bullets due to its internal design. the centre of gravity of the Mark 7 bullet is deliberately shifted towards the rear by constructing the front third of the interior of the bullet from a lighter material such as aluminium or wood pulp. the result is a tail-heavy FMJ bullet which yaws violently after hitting the target ripping things up pretty good. the brits screamed when they went to the 7.62 NATO

the 5.56 NATO is another good example of this, it's not called the meat ax for nothing. the only people that condem it are people that shoot short barreled carbines, or people that have never seen what it can do to a human being out of a standard length M16. both rounds i'd feel comfortable with for taking game of any size if i had no choice to, or any for that matter. as i stated before, with FMJ ammo, i'm more worried about whats behind my target, then if i'll kill it.

· Registered
552 Posts
i guess you haven't been reading my posts, or what i've been saying! LOL! i'm not condoning taking game with FMJ's. HOWEVER there only not allowed for LARGE and dangerous game in the majority of north america. as far as i know there are no laws that prevent there use on varmints and small game, there totally legal for 'yotes, P-dogs, and other small game that is allowed to be taken by rifle . IF YOU READ MY 1ST POST THREW......you would have seen why i think that there a dangerous choice, but somewhere you took it to being a big game post only, not about the dangers of ground shooting with hi powered rifle using FMJ's.

i for one am not a big fan of the double lung shot, and don't think putting bullets were you want should be a hit and miss thing (not to use a bad pun! lol!). it's something you should be able to guarantee if your a responsible hunter, not rushing shots, taking ones out of your comfort zone, or not ranging properly. the lungs are the biggest target, but not the least stressful on the animal by far. IMHO, if this is your only shot choice, then in my mind you've given up on all the things that makes hunting hunting, like cutting sign for the big ones, stalking, and getting close enough to make a positive ID on the critter you want. instead they are content with launching bullets over bait from a pill box at the first critter that comes close to range with an inedible rack of any size, not caring if it's a prime breeder.

the double lung shot is also pretty useless on small game. when you look at the meat on rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs, and anything else you'd want to eat, bullets to the center mass can hit the lungs, along with the intestines, stomach, and all things that lead to foul tasting meat. not to mention wreck a good portion of it punching threw. my dad used to whoop us if we brought back hides with holes in them, or spit out shot or frags at the dinner table. that's why the base of the ear or between the ear and eye is the 10 ring on anything i hunt for food, or pelt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts