Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

· Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, I probably will be getting a bolt action .22 for hunting small game. I found out that it is Illegal to hunt small game in PA with anything larger than .23 so .17, .22 Lr., .22 mag, .22-250 and .223 would be my only options. However I cannot find anywhere that says you cannot hunt predators with fmj so I am considering that. I cannot find a single reason (other than a ricochet possibility but I always make certain of a good backstop behind where i will be shooting) that it would be any better to hunt predators with a .223 which only expands to about the size of a 7.62x54r fmj, maybe even slightly larger but the mosin has more powder and probably as much or at least almost as much knockdown power. If I am missing anything please point them out.

· Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
The point you are missing is, the FMJ bullets pass through an animal without expanding therefore they do not kill efficently and you are going to wound a lot of animals who then die a very slow and horrible death which is what I tried my best to explain in an earlier post. They were not designed to hunt with period.
Steve

· Premium Member
26,919 Posts
Russian Rifle a 7.62 bullet of any type construction will travel several miles. With FMJ bullets they will pass thru trees of substantial diameter and proceed on unimpeded. They will richocet off of rocks, trees, soil, water and deflect at erratic tangents and still proceed for miles. Myself and a friend were in a boat 2 miles out in a lake once and had bullets buzzing by us. A local LEO was called due to some other peoples complaints and it turned out that some people were target shooting with an M1A almost a mile from the water. Their FMJ bullets were passing thru their target richocheting off of and over the berm that they thought would stop the bullets then traveling nearly 3 miles over land and water before buzzing by us. We fired up the boat and got as low as we could while heading for shore.

A 7.62 with any bullet and especially with FMJs is not the proper tool for what you want to do sir.

· Registered
743 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that generally even sp bullets went all the way through the animal. Am I wrong?
You are correct about sp bullets, but the difference like some have stated is that the fmj will not expand, which when a bullet expands it also displaces most of its energy into the animal that is hit. Even though the bullet passes through you will have a quicker kill than with fmj.
rob

· Registered
1,712 Posts
Why are you so dang set on using FMJ bullets for hunting???? For varmints like coyotes use a ballistic tip or soft point bullet that will fragment inside the animal. For deer use a good soft point bullet of that will expand and retain as much weight as possible. For small game like squirrels and rabbits, just use a .22.

· Registered
2,288 Posts
You are correct about sp bullets, but the difference like some have stated is that the fmj will not expand, which when a bullet expands it also displaces most of its energy into the animal that is hit. Even though the bullet passes through you will have a quicker kill than with fmj.
rob
you left out the details man. sp for the most part expand (ive seen some barely expand) loosing alot of the energy. some expand to well and are found in lil pieces throught the animal, much like a hp. but sp are meant for stoppin power and to creat big enough wound to mame or a quick death.

· Registered
2,288 Posts
Why are you so dang set on using FMJ bullets for hunting???? For varmints like coyotes use a ballistic tip or soft point bullet that will fragment inside the animal. For deer use a good soft point bullet of that will expand and retain as much weight as possible. For small game like squirrels and rabbits, just use a .22.
sure leave out the scatter guns, for one dont shoot into the air at any animal unless you got a shotgun they dont travel far with bird shot. or use .22 birt shot. at thirty yards its like using sand paper on your target lol

· Registered
1,712 Posts
sure leave out the scatter guns, for one dont shoot into the air at any animal unless you got a shotgun they dont travel far with bird shot. or use .22 birt shot. at thirty yards its like using sand paper on your target lol
Shotguns work great for squirrels and rabbits. But that .22 bird shot is only meant to be used on snakes at point blank range. That stuff doesn't even kill a bird at 5 yards. I can't imagine you would even hit a 10 foot target at 30 yards with it.

· Registered
2,288 Posts
i shot aregular sized target at 30 yds its like someone wiped it with sandpaper one time. their good for rats and squirrels in the attick

· Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Do you know anywhere that I could get some 7.62x54r fragmenting bullets? Sorry for being so difficult.

· Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I already have some Prvi Partizan ammo and am planning to hunt deer with either that or some Brown Bear sp that I own. Both of those however are a little big (damage the pelts is what I mean) for furbearers, are they not? If I start reloading (which I hope and plan on doing) I will probably get some Barnes RRLP Bullets. Thanks for all of your trouble in answering my questions.

· Registered
552 Posts
The point you are missing is, the FMJ bullets pass through an animal without expanding therefore they do not kill efficently and you are going to wound a lot of animals who then die a very slow and horrible death which is what I tried my best to explain in an earlier post. They were not designed to hunt with period.
Steve
and my point that you missed completely, is that if you hit the animal in the heart, spine, or brain, it doesn't matter if it's an FMJ or SP/HP/BT. it will die just as fast! if your hunting small game for hide, head shots should be the norm weather you use a .22 or a varmint rifle, since body shots with each ruin pelts, and fragmenting bullets wreck meat. it's funny to be arguing about something i disagree with, but in all actuality, some designs of FMJ rifle ammunition inflict more destructive wound channels than others since not all FMJ bullets contain a simple lead filling.

case in point, the brit mark 7 .303 ammunition was compliant with the terms of the Hague convention and one of the more available surplus rounds. it creates more destructive wound channel than standard HP bullets due to its internal design. the centre of gravity of the Mark 7 bullet is deliberately shifted towards the rear by constructing the front third of the interior of the bullet from a lighter material such as aluminium or wood pulp. the result is a tail-heavy FMJ bullet which yaws violently after hitting the target ripping things up pretty good. the brits screamed when they went to the 7.62 NATO

the 5.56 NATO is another good example of this, it's not called the meat ax for nothing. the only people that condem it are people that shoot short barreled carbines, or people that have never seen what it can do to a human being out of a standard length M16. both rounds i'd feel comfortable with for taking game of any size if i had no choice to, or any for that matter. as i stated before, with FMJ ammo, i'm more worried about whats behind my target, then if i'll kill it.

· Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
H=Bar whether you want to believe it or not FMJ bullets were not and have never been made for hunting any northamerican game and we are talking about small game so as far as i know they are prohibited in all states for hunting therefore you are condoning breaking the law which is one of the no no's on this forum. You can not garrantee that you will hit a vital spot everytime you shoot and buy the way the most used shot on deer is the double lung shot and a FMJ for that is usless.

Steve

21 - 40 of 63 Posts