Gun and Game Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

· Registered
552 Posts
i guess you haven't been reading my posts, or what i've been saying! LOL! i'm not condoning taking game with FMJ's. HOWEVER there only not allowed for LARGE and dangerous game in the majority of north america. as far as i know there are no laws that prevent there use on varmints and small game, there totally legal for 'yotes, P-dogs, and other small game that is allowed to be taken by rifle . IF YOU READ MY 1ST POST THREW......you would have seen why i think that there a dangerous choice, but somewhere you took it to being a big game post only, not about the dangers of ground shooting with hi powered rifle using FMJ's.

i for one am not a big fan of the double lung shot, and don't think putting bullets were you want should be a hit and miss thing (not to use a bad pun! lol!). it's something you should be able to guarantee if your a responsible hunter, not rushing shots, taking ones out of your comfort zone, or not ranging properly. the lungs are the biggest target, but not the least stressful on the animal by far. IMHO, if this is your only shot choice, then in my mind you've given up on all the things that makes hunting hunting, like cutting sign for the big ones, stalking, and getting close enough to make a positive ID on the critter you want. instead they are content with launching bullets over bait from a pill box at the first critter that comes close to range with an inedible rack of any size, not caring if it's a prime breeder.

the double lung shot is also pretty useless on small game. when you look at the meat on rabbits, squirrels, groundhogs, and anything else you'd want to eat, bullets to the center mass can hit the lungs, along with the intestines, stomach, and all things that lead to foul tasting meat. not to mention wreck a good portion of it punching threw. my dad used to whoop us if we brought back hides with holes in them, or spit out shot or frags at the dinner table. that's why the base of the ear or between the ear and eye is the 10 ring on anything i hunt for food, or pelt.

· Registered
2,288 Posts
ill second that. my $85 dollar beaters can flip playing cards from laying flat to about another foot away at 100yds with a chitty airgun scope

· Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I'd go for a Marlin Model 60
I need a bolt action because it is Illegal to hunt with a semi-auto where I live, the Marlin model 60 isn't. is it?

Savage is hard to beat.
The only savage .22 (Mark II) I have seen around where I live was about 200 dollars that is a little more than I would like to pay I'm thinking about a hundred dollars, are there any savage .22's in that price range?

· Registered
2,288 Posts
The only savage .22 (Mark II) I have seen around where I live was about 200 dollars that is a little more than I would like to pay I'm thinking about a hundred dollars, are there any savage .22's in that price range?
look for used ones at the lgs

· Registered
6,089 Posts
Good Luck in your endeavor, but try a used Marlin Bolt gun in 22 LR of some shape or description. I've never in my life seen a Marlin that wasn't accurate, though I've not dealt with the ones made by Remington and from the reviews I've seen, won't

· Registered
1,712 Posts
I need a bolt action because it is Illegal to hunt with a semi-auto where I live, the Marlin model 60 isn't. is it?

Go to Walmart and get a Savage Mark II F .22lr. They sell for about $127. I had one that was super accurate but it didn't feed well all the time. Probably just a lemon as I have heard others have had good luck with them.

Are you sure you aren't allowed to hunt small game with a semi auto .22? That seems weird.

· Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Okay so I guess the place I was looking is way over priced, that is good to know.

Yes it is rather strange that you cannot hunt in PA with a semi auto .22 especially because they let you hunt with a semi auto shotgun as long as it only has 3 shot shells in it.

Do any of you know anything about the Romanian training .22? I think they are rather inexpensive so I would be interested in one. Does anyone know what they were a training rifle for? a mosin?

41 - 60 of 63 Posts