Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was wondering if anyone here hunts with thier M1 and if so could they leave some info on how well it does and maybe a photo of thier M1 set up to hunt

thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
not to burst your bubble but most states limit you to a five round magazine for hunt with a semi auto the m1 uses an 8 round magazine.but there may be some one im not awhere of that makes magazines that would pass.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
there are 5 rnd clips available if required. i have hunted with my M1, and i have killed with my M1. my M1 no longer hunts with me, because having only iron sights cost me a shot at the biggest buck ive ever seen( plenty of light to see the deer, and legal shooting hours to boot, but was still to dark to see that dang black sight). the M1 works just fine as long as you dont mind losing the first 10-15 minutes of shooting.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
I hunt here in TN with my M1 Garand -- nothing special straight from CMP on the setup all you need to have is the necessary clip for the specific state you are hunting. When in TN I use the 8 rd when in Oregon I use a 5. I will be using my m1D next season

·
Registered
92 Posts
You probably need hollow points to hunt, check your laws. I use Remington Core Lokts 150 grain. Never jammed, slamfired, or damaged my gun 300 rounds later. I use my M1 in Iowa to hunt coyote. It is standard model: no scope, 8 round clip, with a new barrel. Never seen a coyote to kill with it, but it turned a bunny into pudding at 50 yards, standing, with iron sights. My record is hitting a popcan at 100 yards but I had to go prone and it took 2 tries. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Depends on the hunting you do. It's powerful enough and accurate enough but it's a little heavy for my liking. By the end of the day you might be wishing for something else.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I'm pretty sure a standard 150-grain core lokt Remington cartridge will work with the M1...I could swear seeing someone shooting them at the range to sight in for deer season...

As for FMJ's, it's widely believed that FMJ's are illegal for deer use. This is not true, most states allow FMJ's to be used, but it really isn't considered ethical. I've heard of people taking deer with FMJ's with little to no problems though.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't know if I would shoot a hunting round through a garand, maybe a good reload could be worked up form some one that knows what he's/she's doing?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Commercial hunting ammunition will not blow up a Garand. The pressure generated by huting ammunition may be too much for the gas system, and can cause damage to the operating rod. This is annoying, and expensive, but not dangerous. As mentioned above, handloads with hunting bullets can be made. In my opinion, there are better rifles for hunting than the M1.

·
Registered
667 Posts
You can pick up 5 round clips at Cheaper than Dirt.

Where I live in Indiana, they don't allow high power rifles, this year they allowed rifles that shot certain pistol rounds for deer hunting. Hunters around me faired pretty well with their cowboy lever guns, I would imagine Garand would do well if we could use it here. It just depends on what your options are.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Do not use Commercial ammo of any kind in a Garand unless you use a adjustable gas cylinder. What can happen is a bent Op Rod or worse a cracked reciever from the bolt slamming into it from increased pressures. It has less to do with bullett weight but the burn rate of commercial powders. You may shoot thousands of rds with no problems or maybe one rd and have a failure. Is it really worth it, do ya feel lucky? You can always pull the bullet out of surplus 30.06 and replace with huntinhg bullet

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Orlando I beg to differ I have had my garand for many years now and when I made up my ammunition I was using current powders and 150 to 165 grain bullets. Part has to do with the load not being in the hot range and the second has to do with bullet size.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Like I said before you are living on borrowed time. It may happen on the first shot or thousands later. Since you don'yt believe me here is a quote from a man who has forgot more about Garands than all of us know all togther. He was a US Armoer and knows Garands
From Gus Fisher:
Hunting ammo not only can cause damage to the op rod, but more importantly it will cause damage to the heel of the receiver where the bolt is going to smack it too hard and that will deform, then crack, then bust chunks off the receiver. Sometimes it goes straight to busting off chunks of the receiver before it does anything else. This all because powders are being used that are not in the correct pressure range for the rifle.

OK, so what do you do if you want to HUNT with a Garand? You HAVE to handload. You use bullets in the 110 to 175 grain area (no matter the style of bullet) and use the powder and amount of powder that is equivalent for the military loadings with those bullets in each weight. For deer, many guys use the 150 to 165 grain soft point or hollow point bullets, BUT of course, load it with the powder and in the amount of the pressure curve for the Garand.

If you do it this way, you don't need adjustable gas plugs. Or, if you do use hunting ammo in the Garand with the adjustable gas plug, you start with the largest hole insert and if that still allows the rifle to function, you STOP with that one. If it doesn't allow the rifle to function, go to the second largest size. However, be aware that if you get the really hot zinger ammo, even with the largest hole, you are probably still battering the heel of the receiver too hard and are setting the receiver up for failure.

If you want to continue using commercial ammo thats fine its your chioce but please don't tell others to do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lefty-O: you brought out a good point, as long as the background is light it is useless to try to use the aperture...best have open sights, like a 30-30.. hard to use the peep with brush or haze...I agree with you...

Orlando: I shot M1 on target but I handloaded with what the Speer book rec. and didnt have problems, but I used the book rec. I used 168 gn, with IMR 4064 powder and the book rec. for gas operated rifles...

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
Marylandgunner, I've taken my Garand hunting...once. After trekking the mountains of Oregon for a day, the shooter gets real heavy real fast.
Two rd and 5 rd clips are available Northridge International (M1, M1 Carbine Parts).
Go for it, it's accurate enough but take a gun-bearer with you. It will give you a whole new aspect and respect for the military guys that carried them every day.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Gunparts has 2, 5 and 8 round clips too. The 5 rounders aren't cheap though. $5.50 each.
Long before there was an Internet, M1 Rifles were fired, up here, with factory hunting ammo with no fuss. There was no (and still isn't) milsurp(not that you'd hunt with it). 165 grain hunting bullets, 168 and 175 grain match bullets work just fine. However, like oldjarhead says, the rifle gets really heavy by the end of the day, but if it shoots well enough it'll do nicely. Wouldn't think twice about hunting with mine. Blew a ground hog into a mass of goo with a 220 grain Silvertip, long ago. They didn't bother the rifle either.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts