Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On its way from the seller, a 1953 Husqvarna Mauser in exceptional condition. Dammit, why does every gun I happen to like turn out to be a 30.06? Shooting them does not "hurt so good". The heart wants what the heart wants so I see more light loads in my future if I'm going to enjoy shooting the 30.06 at the range.

I believe this one is referred to as a "Crown Model" in the Husqvarna nomenclature. It's as old as me but in way better shape lol. According to the seller, it has very minimal marks on the stock and metal. I'm not crazy about the recoil pad as the lower edge doesn't follow the toe of the stock. It appears to have been added on without shortening the stock. I will probably install a black Husqvarna butt plate (reproduction) and an aged white spacer. I have a slip-on recoil pad I use at the range.

It looks like a true classic and I really like the European-style cheekpiece on it. I can't say I'm crazy about the contrasting wood diamond inlays on the stock though. I believe they were a prior owner's embellishment and not original to the rifle. They're OK and are classic looking but I may take a shot at staining them ebony black if my research says they are not original. I'll follow up with in-hand pics when it arrives.

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Line

·
The outer edge of civilization
15,738 Posts
Congratulations! If you ever get bored with it, it can come live with me. 😊

I fell in love with Husqvarna quality and workmanship years ago when I had an older Husqvarna sewing machine. Don't laugh. It was the first sewing machine that took me more than 20 years to kill!

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Looks like you are doing OK in the more vintage hunting rifle catagory. Fan of the walnut deep bluing guns myself. Still got my old 700 and yes in 30/06. Sometimes I wish it were in .243 Win. as I would shoot target more often. Still think they still offer that "reduced recoil" ammo which should prove more forgiving plus OK for some hunting situations I would guess.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah, my sweet spot is old school rifles. Something about wood and blued steel and simplicity of design. I just dig them.

I have some bulk 100 gr 30 cal “plinker” bullets that I am going to load for shooting at the range. I am thinking they should recoil like a .243 and make my .06’s a lot easier on the old body.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I grew up wanting a Husqvarna rifle, for the simple reason that I spent hours in the woods, with my dad, cutting firewood, using a Husqvarna Chainsaw. Simplicity!
I remember they made a very good 2 stroke motocross motorcycle back in the late 60’s too. Husqvarna, Maico (Germany), Bultaco (Spain) and Hodaka (Japan) were all serious race bikes only rich kids’ parents could afford!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heck ya I recall subscribing to CYCLE magazine back in the late 60s. Almost forgot about some of those bikes. Seem to disappear quick when Honda, Suzuki, and Kawasaki came on strong.
I was at a buddy's house in 1974 and his kid had a Suzuki RM 125 motocross bike he had bought him. He asked if I wanted to ride it and I asked his kid if it was ok with him. He said sure. My buddy started to explain how it was a race bike and not to be too agressive with the clutch and throttle. I just said "Come on, it's 125cc, I've ridden faster bikes than this (Honda Cl 305 and Honda SL350 "scramblers")'. I gave it a little gas and slipped the clutch and up went the front end. I caught it and then headed to the street. I twisted the throttle in first and up came the front wheel again so I short-shifted to second and rolled easy into the throttle ... up came the front wheel, same with third and same with fourth. I think it would have wheelied in 5th and 6th but I didn't want to try. That thing had an explosive power band. I can't imagine what the bigger RM's were like to ride. Maybe with wheelspin on the dirt they weren't so completely out of control.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Ha those old 2 strokes had some balls. My first ride was a 100 CC Yamaha Twin Jet Electra. Had that Injection system to mix gas and oil. Loved spark plugs and would smoke like hell. Not my bike but my friends. No helmet so I painted a World War 2 helmet white and stuck a Bell sticker on the back. Fooled the cops for a while.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ha those old 2 strokes had some balls. My first ride was a 100 CC Yamaha Twin Jet Electra. Had that Injection system to mix gas and oil. Loved spark plugs and would smoke like hell. Not my bike but my friends. No helmet so I painted a World War 2 helmet white and stuck a Bell sticker on the back. Fooled the cops for a while.
I got that beat ... I had a Honda Super 90 I bought at 15 before getting my license. For whatever reason, a buddy need a lift somewhere so I gave him a ride. I had only my helmet and there was a helmet law, Not wanting to attract undue attention from the cops, I ran into the house and grabbed my mom's red Pyrex mixing bowl and told my buddy to put it on his head. Imagine 2 kids flying down the highway on a little motorbike with the passenger's hand on his head holding down a mixing bowl. People were driving by, pointing and laughing. We thought we were smart.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
Can't wait to hear more! Pretty expensive if bought new these days!! They sure look very custom. My old 700 bought new in 84 for $330 looks very good compared to some offerings these days even though it was jus a run of the mill gun back then. Prices these days can scare a very mature man like myself. LOL

·
Registered
6,945 Posts
Now that is a sweet acquisition 😃 . I'm a milsurp junkie but I've also been a fan of anything made by Husqvarna from Firearms to weed eaters, lawn mowers, sewing, machines, chainsaws and 2 stroke dirt bikes. I grew up in the saddle and I've owned more bikes than I have cars and trucks put together tenfold and have ridden countless others and then some including the bultaco 650 as well as the Hodaka Ace and swamp rat. With that being said the biggest fastest nastiest two-stroke dirt bike I've ever had the pleasure o riding that actually had the power to scare the hell out of me was my 85' Husqvarna CR 500 desert trace bike. It was bored .30 over w/ a wiseco piston, boysen power reeds & a kerker exhaust. To top that off it had a left side Kickstart w/ a 3-speed automatic transmission. Oh how I miss that bike, on the flip side of that coin one thing I've always wanted that I have yet to add to my collection is a nice Husky' rifle. As a matter of fact the last thing I added to my collection was a Turkish Ankara 8mm Mauser and that was a while ago so I definitely need to do something to change that 😃 ..

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That left side kick start was always odd, I remeber starting them by standing alongside the bike while holding the bars and kiking them through with your right leg. I never got the hand of using of left leg to do it. lol

Something tells me you are a muscle car enthusiast ... me too! '71 Pontiac GTO here. I've owned it and continued to pour money in it since 1985!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
35,211 Posts
It looks like a true classic and I really like the European-style cheekpiece on it. I can't say I'm crazy about the contrasting wood diamond inlays on the stock though. I believe they were a prior owner's embellishment and not original to the rifle. They're OK and are classic looking but I may take a shot at staining them ebony black if my research says they are not original. I'll follow up with in-hand pics when it arrives.

View attachment 171637
Those inlaid lozenges on the stock were the In Thing during the 1950s. I believe they started out on English custom rifles before World War II, and after the war people who could afford to buy a brand new hunting rifle (as opposed to a milsurp they might restock with a civilian stock themselves) saw it as a classy addition that signified they had arrived, if you see what I mean. Originally, those lozenges were made of elephant ivory. By the 1950s, they were being made of Micarta, a synthetic substance which when made with high cotton content paper produces a respectable imitation of ivory. It's still used today in pistol grips and knife grips. The hairline white behind the ebony tip of the forearm is made of the same material. Tough stuff; it was used as a heat shield in the first generation of ICBMs. You can still get it if you want to use it for projects.

I like Micarta personally, but only in white, as synthetic ivory. Hey, you like what you like. Ivory is not longer available for use, but Micarta is a reasonable substitute.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Ta
Yeah, my sweet spot is old school rifles. Something about wood and blued steel and simplicity of design. I just dig them.

I have some bulk 100 gr 30 cal “plinker” bullets that I am going to load for shooting at the range. I am thinking they should recoil like a .243 and make my .06’s a lot easier on the old body.
That is a really nice looking gun. I own a bunch, the newer ones have plastic stocks but I still have decent wood stocks in Winchester, and Remington, Ruger and one Weatheryby Mark V with a pretty nice stock. I have played with those 30 carbine bullets int 308 and 30-06. They are great. If you load them to say 2,500 fps, they are even great for hogs. I loaded some for a friends kid to shoot, I thought at targets. They came back and wanted more after he killed 2 hogs at 200 yards. Here is what the look like ballistically. They still have 589 foot pounds at 200 yards, that is about the same as a 10mm handgun. And sighted 1.57 high at 100 yards, the are only 4.35 low at 200 yards. I had no clue they would be that good and very low recoil. Like you said, about like a 243. I also shoot those speer 110 grain pointed soft points int the 30-06. You can crank them on up and still not have too much recoil. Let us know how that good looking gun shoots.

500.91-1.74-0.510.651.230.360.0612222237
751.49-1.89-0.551.441.830.530.1010892111
1001.57-1.50-0.442.612.480.720.139671990
1251.10-0.84-0.254.173.180.920.178571873
1500.02-0.010.006.163.921.140.227571761
175-1.770.960.288.624.701.370.266681654
200-4.352.080.6011.585.521.610.315891552

1 - 20 of 22 Posts