Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After checking some cartridge specs, it seems like 308 might chamber in a Mosin. Question is, what if some dumbo dumbarse shoved a 308 in the Mosin and pulled the friggin trigger? Just curious, have no intention of trying this... Unless it's behind a barrier and it's Dale's new carved-to-heck M44.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It won't work. I just tried it to verify. The .308 will push way up into the chamber well past the point that the firing pin will not touch it. If you loaded them extremely long, you might be able to by having the bullet proper control the headspace. What you'd get is a very blown out case, and likely a gas blow-by into your face. I know you're going to try it; you are certainly not a dummy. I just posted this for the information value.

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm very glad for the info and never consider it an insult to learn a lot of stuff. I was at some point going to try an empty case but certainly not in a million years a live one... Unless it was behind a barrier in Dale's crappy M44.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Could the barrel be changed out...like a mauser? of course after all that..might be cheaper to just buy a off the rack 308 :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, You could use an adapter and fire .308 out of it. I use an adapter for the 7.62x54 that allows me to use .32ACP. It's slow firing, but it's a lot of fun. And I use it to train younger kids shooting with an MN rather than just a .22.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
I know they make 7.62x39 inserts for 308's....chamber adapters ...would that work on a MN? Seems like the rimmed case extractor would be the big problem. Then to maybe a chamber adapter would solve the problems and let you shoot 308 in a MN but still and extraction problem...rimed to rimless.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I Know Of A Incident When Somebody Unintentionaly Place A 308 In A Hungarian M44.
Cartridge Denotated, No Ill Effects[Except Embarassed Shooter]. Spent 308 Casing,
Of Course, Was Way-Oversized. Process Was Never Repeated!!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
owwww you silly guys
You are reinventing the wheel again.
a .32acp insert that sounds interesting
who made it? how much?
do you have 5 and load them in the magazine and cycle the bolt normally
pushing out the spent .32acp cases from the front
interesting.
a .308 insert would have to be a single shot affair
extracting the entire insert like a cartrige reload the insert and then the insert in to the gun.
MMMMMMMMMMM

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,029 Posts
Firing .308 Win in a Mosin is a BIG NO-NO! Think of it - at least 30% too much pressure for what it was designed to handle, too small for the chamber and major head-space problems.
Please don't do this . . . :hmmm:

·
Registered
123 Posts
My dad's best friend works at a GM and is a huge gun nut. He told a customer that the 91/30 would take 308 bullets...he of course was talking about bullets and the guy thought he was talking about cartridges....the guy came back a few days later to return the gun! He said it blew up in his face, he was not to pleased!

·
Registered
6,914 Posts
We had a guy on here last Summer who asked this question because he had just gotten his first Mosin. He said the place where he bought it had .308 ammo that was cheaper than 7.62X54R and he wanted to try it. He was told it was a bad idea but he sure seemed determined to try it.

To the best of my knowledge he wasn't heard from after that so I don't know what happened. Hopefully he never did it, I know this was posed as a hypothetical question but it made me think of him.

·
Registered
854 Posts
How about a .22 adapter so you can shoot all day for $2.

JUST KIDDING!!!! It's a major blasphamy to shoot anything other than 7.62X54R from a MN.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Remember, BRG's question was a hypothetical one.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
A guy in the Mauser forum said his rifle said 30-06 on the barrel and wanted to know since he had 308 cartridges if they would work,everyone said no,then the guy that said his 8mm Mauser would'nt chamber a 8mm round so he fired a 7mm in it,said it was loud and no recoil,had been told to take it to a gunsmith.These people dont need guns period.And think about it next time you go to the range,dont hurt to take time to see what someone is stuffing in their rifle so you are not injured also.:ugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts