i am considering buying an nef

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by bob, Mar 25, 2002.

1. bob

bob G&G Newbie

your input would be appreciated. i know they make several different models, what i want is one of the lightweight ones with a short barrel and a short kids stock, in 223 or 243, then add an adult stock, since i want useable iron sights in addition to a scope. i have heard the triggers need help, that there are home fixes as well as factory fixes. comments????

2. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

the stocks are standard length but you can change the recoil pads to get and inch off if needed. They have good open sights but if you wanted the see through rings you could. The triggers aren't bad in all my conversions, they are not able to be adjusted so you get what you get. As to caliber it depends on the use many states want .24 or better for big game if its target/varmint get the .223

3. 6string

6string G&G Newbie

Before you spend $200.00+ on a .223 or .243 Try getting the .22 sporster Youth model [$105.95 at Wal Mart] Thay come with a weaver type scope rail and a syn, stock. This way you can check out the trigger and feel of the guns.The only NEF's that I know of that come with iron sights is the 22H,
    30-30,357mag,44mag,45/70. You can put a scope rail on the barrels with iron sights but NEF says you can't use with iron sights. NEF will put iron sights on a barrel for $10.S&H and $40. For the sights. At the same time thay will ajust your trigger. You have to send them your rifle and it can take up to 8 weeks. I have got my trigger down to about 1-1/2 lbs but I had to weld some extra material to the part that lifts the Transfer bar up. Not easy. NEF's are great rifles and you will ether love them or hate them. Good luck

4. bolden

bolden G&G Newbie

The NEF can be accessoried if you want. What you need is a new one on the SB2 frame. Any of the new SB2's with frame serial # prefixes of NN, NP,NR and NS can be fitted with any available barrel except rimfire and 10 guage. Irregardless of what stock configuration you get, you can fit any other available stock to it. NEF makes a youth stock with a 12 1/2" for instance. As far as the trigger goes, if the pull exceeds 5 1/2 lbs., NEF will reduce it for free; they will also reduce it for free if you send the receiver/buttstock in for a new barrel. If the pull is less than 5 1/2 lbs and you want it reduced, the charge is $25.00. If you want a steel trigger guard and fore end iron they have those also, at around $30.00 apiece. Its the same as the ones on the Buffalo Classic rifle. Two sites you can look at are:
    http://www.marlinfirearms.com Click on H&R firearms button to view a catalog. There's also a NEF/H&R forum there. Click on the Marlin Talk button. A second link is:http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/nef-singleshot/ This is a group of over 600 NEF/H&R users, not affiliated with Marlin/NEF. Its a yahoo.group, which ****s, and you have to register before you access it(it can be up to 24 hours before you get your password), but it's worth it.

5. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

great info Joel -- Thanks

6. bob

bob G&G Newbie

Gents, i appreciate the info; i live in an area where shots at the local blacktail can vary from 3 feet to 300 yards. in the past, i've taken many with a handloaded 222 remington, see no reason why a 223 wouldn't work as well, but then, the 243 will add some bullet weight. you've heard the arguments i am sure. like the styleing of their plastic stocks over the wood and having a lightweight single shot to toss behind the seat of the pickup would work well too. will be going to the city this weekend, i'm gonna see what's in the racks!