I call it Recycling...

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by 338RUM, Aug 23, 2010.

1. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I have a 1938 Izzy round receiver that has a shot out barrel on it, when I say shot out I mean it will not hold 5 inches at 100 yards where my other Mosin will hold an inch with almost any ammo I feed it. Anyway I am making a 6.5 Vostok which was used in some Swiss Biathlon, it is basically just a 7.62x54R necked down to accept 6.5mm bullets and will be almost Identical to the 260 Rem and 6.5x55 Swede, I will be trying to find a barrel that will work for my purpose and put peep sights on the rifle like these:
    Pictures - Biathlon rifle - Oklahoma City firearms | Examiner.com

Scroll through the pictures to see what I am trying to make and tell me what you think, I am hoping that I can make a good shooter out to 300 yards or so...

2. Looks to be an interesting project, either way you go it will be a heck of a lot cheaper than an M28-76.

3. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

NC
    Does your project require a new barrel or a liner that is 6.5mm to be installed in the factory barrel?

4. Looks interesting, are you going to shorten the barrel?? Also is there the possibility that there are bedding issues with the rifle as it is now causing it to shoot poorly?? What does the bore look like?? The last two questions are just out of curiosity. I'm not going to try and sway your decision, though I will say you wouldn't have to worry about people trying to bum ammo from ya at deer camp.

5. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

jmeck, the project requires a new barrel I am not sure which brand I will go with yet. Got any suggestions?

Mouser, As far as I can tell the bedding in the rifle is fine there is NO movement and it is a very tight fit into the stock, the barrel I slugged a .316 and there is very shallow rifling through the barrel with some loose spots. And I am not sure if I am going to shorten the barrel yet, it really all depends on the price.

6. franchi

franchi Guest

have you thought of a barrel liner? they are popular with 22 rifles that are shot out. gunsmiths around here charge 40 to cut and crown a barrel

7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Just please tell me you aren't going to make it a bullpup like that other idiot.

8. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

K-80 I am not sure about barrel liners... I really want it for a semi match rifle and a bet winner at the range. And Gandog look at the link and tell me if it looks like a bullpup rifle! LOL It was a match rifle made in the 50's on a Mosin action!

9. Ken in Iowa

Ken in Iowa G&G Evangelist

Liners aren't generally used on high power barrels. Reboring to a larger caliber is the best option for a worn out barrel if one doesn't use it for a tomato stake. :)

I wouldn't even dream of putting any effort into a .316" groove barrel.

10. Mouser, As far as I can tell the bedding in the rifle is fine there is NO movement and it is a very tight fit into the stock, the barrel I slugged a .316 and there is very shallow rifling through the barrel with some loose spots. And I am not sure if I am going to shorten the barrel yet, it really all depends on the price.[/QUOTE]

So are you going to take on this project yourself, or have it done?? And I see what you mean about the barrel being shot out. Have you any idea whose barrel blank you're going to use as far as brand??

11. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

NC
    Maybe E.R. Shaw could make you a barrel, you may have to go with a 6.5mm barrel blank and have a machinist thread and shoulder it to fit your action, if thats the case you would also need to have the chamber reamed to fit the Mosin Nagant shell case. I'd try to find a barrel thats fully machined so all you would need to get done is the head spacing. I don't know of anyone who has done this. Shop around a bit and let us know what you find. It would be interesting to know what options and prices are out there.

12. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Mouser, I will be having the barrel installed on the action but nothing else, the rest I will be doing myself, if I can not find a reamer I will have PacNor make one for me, since I will be replacing the stock I will be able to make it in any weight/style I want probably a light varmint barrel with a (hopefully) maple stock. The smith I am taking it to will be able to turn the threads on the barrel to fit the Mosin action and install the front sight but the rest is up to me to make... including the stock. I knew this gun shot bad but I did not know the extent until I slugged it and it came out .316 then I knew that there was no hope for the gun at all...

13. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

i Am Wanting To Do The Same Thing using my Ex Sniper As The Start...No Major Mods..All Reversible...Except The Stock Which Will Be Modified...And The Bolt...Which Will be Bent Later...Im Leaving It 7.62x54r

14. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I only went 6.5 cause I have 4 .30 cal rifles as it stands now, don't get me wrong I love the original 7.62x54R but I think the 6.5 will serve me better

15. YugoCrazy

YugoCrazy G&G Newbie

Plus Mine Isn't Shot Out...