I did it again, and need more info please...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by dgray64, May 3, 2008.

1. dgray64

dgray64 G&G Newbie

I seem to have this addiction to old guns and young guns and whatever until they outlaw them, then they will all have been stolen....

Anyway, when I bought the Henry rifle, I had noticed an old Iver_Johnson revolver. Since I got the Henry humming, I went back and looked and bought the old Model 50 Sidewinder. It of course was dirty and had some surface rust, but all parts worked freely. the loading gate was loose and the inside of the cylinders was really dirty.

When I got it home, I tried loading up the 8 shot cyl and the cylinder holes were gummy, sticking the cartridge. I took it apart and cleaned it well, scrubbed the outside with Hoppes #9 and 0000 steel wool. It cleaned up well. I was out of break free so I cleaned it down when I was through with brake cleaner, re-assembled and oiled it up. I shot one cylinder load of .22s and it was pretty accurate.

Is there anyway to find out what year it is? Anyone here have one? Seems like a great gun with the 6" barrel and 8 shot capacity. Thanks for the help.

Dave :bigeyes: :feedback:

2. Bstock

Bstock G&G Newbie

Iver Johnson model 50 Sidewinder

dgray64, the 14th edition of modern gun values gives this information.
    Revolver double action; 22 lr; 8shot; 6in-barrel(1961-1978/1979);
    4-3/4-INCH BARREL(1974-1978/1979);10 INCH (4-3/4 INCH BARREL),11-1/4 INCH (6-INCH BARREL) 0VERALL LENGTH;30 OZ.(4-3/4-INCH) 31 OZ.
    (6-INCH); LARGE SOLID FRAME; ROD EJECTION; RECESSED CHAMBERS WITH FLASH CONTROL FRONT RIM; 22 LR/22 WRM COMBO AVAILABLE AFTER 1974; FIXED SIGHTS; ADJUSTABLE AFTER 1974; WESTERN-STYLE WALNUT GRIPS; STAG PLASTIC GRIPS STANDARD AFTER 1968;SEVERAL MODEL NUMBERS FOR DIFFERENT FINISH AND SIGHT COMBINATIONS AFTER 1974; MATTE BLUE AND SATIN NICKEL FINISH. INTRODUCED 1961; DROPPED 1979.

3. dgray64

dgray64 G&G Newbie

Wow! Thanks for all this info. It has the 6" barrel and the plastic grips and non-adjustable sights so It's got to be after 1968 and before 1974. Thanks a lot for all the work you did to get this info out.

Dave :09::09: