Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all, just sharing some pictures of the treasures that were out at this far, out of the way, surrounded by trees place that if the signs wern't there, you would never have known this placed existed! The old man was a shop a holic when it came to military surplus stuff back when surplus was the golden age! Some stuff wasn't for sale, but for a Korean area Jeep, almost complete, for $3 Grand, man...wish I had ready cash for that one. Oh well.

I did pick up about 33 Army shovel heads, a Jeep hood, and some air cleaners for cheap. So, Im happy. :)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Sky Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant
Sky Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Tree

My haul!

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Resident Curmudgeon
36,176 Posts
There is a ready market for military surplus at the Elephant's Trunk. Most people are looking for service uniforms and insignia, and for man-portable items like personal carrying gear (ALICE and MOLLE are popular, and if you have WWI or WWII packs and rucks, you can name your own price), helmets, mess kits, canteens, canteen cups, entrenching tools, and vintage fatigues. But I have seen people walking around with EE-8 field phones, steering wheels, wooden ammo boxes, and assorted things painted olive drab that I can't identify.

Unusual Offerings occasionally has uniforms and insignia because of our estate sale shopping. We had a hit earlier this year with a World War I PFC's tunic and helmet I was able to trace to a particular soldier in a company, battalion, regiment and division. A collector bought them for the ticket price with no haggling, because we price fairly and the regulars know it. The serious collectors of things (not just militaria) prowl the field, paying a serious premium to enter before the official start time of 8 AM, looking for new things to add to their collections. The "Do you have any" questions we hear the most are for militaria, fishing gear, watches, and sterling silver. If you have something good, you can get real money for it and it won't stay in inventory for long. But these days, World War II uniforms are rare, and so are Korean War era. Even the green service dress of the Vietnam War era is becoming uncommon around here. I hope to get lucky the next time I can visit ncnascarlady. The folks back home in the South were much more respectful of military service in that era than the people of the Northeast who lived near cities were, so uniforms were stored instead of being thrown out.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You had me confused when you mentioned army shovel heads. I was like “when did the army use shovel heads, all the sidecars I remember were old flathead harleys, or a few Indians”.
Sorry about that, that's all I had to go on from the lady in charge of the sale.
I did some research later, and found out they are U.S. Army Pioneer D Handled shovels that originally strapped on the side of a Jeep. The handles have either snapped or rotted off
from being left outdoors for the past several decades. So, just have the shovel heads left. For a buck a piece, I don;t think I did too badly.
(google picture of where the shovel was stored originally)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
Howdy all, just sharing some pictures of the treasures that were out at this far, out of the way, surrounded by trees place that if the signs wern't there, you would never have known this placed existed! The old man was a shop a holic when it came to military surplus stuff back when surplus was the golden age! Some stuff wasn't for sale, but for a Korean area Jeep, almost complete, for $3 Grand, man...wish I had ready cash for that one. Oh well.

I did pick up about 33 Army shovel heads, a Jeep hood, and some air cleaners for cheap. So, Im happy. :)

View attachment 176107 View attachment 176108 View attachment 176109 View attachment 176110 View attachment 176111 View attachment 176112

My haul!

View attachment 176113
Didn't see a pic of a jeep but the one of a pickup type looked like an M715 1 1/4 ton that we used in the late 70s. This was around 77-78 when I worked as a game warden on ft Dix. We stuck a PRC 77 behind the seat for comms work

·
Registered
13,039 Posts
Sorry about that, that's all I had to go on from the lady in charge of the sale.
I did some research later, and found out they are U.S. Army Pioneer D Handled shovels that originally strapped on the side of a Jeep. The handles have either snapped or rotted off
from being left outdoors for the past several decades. So, just have the shovel heads left. For a buck a piece, I don;t think I did too badly.
(google picture of where the shovel was stored originally)
View attachment 176128
Add an M60 mount and we still used those things in the 70s and 80s. Including where Pioneer tools were mounted

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Didn't see a pic of a jeep but the one of a pickup type looked like an M715 1 1/4 ton that we used in the late 70s. This was around 77-78 when I worked as a game warden on ft Dix. We stuck a PRC 77 behind the seat for comms work
Picture of the"mostly complete" jeeps at that sale. The OD green one was all there, including the roached frond seat.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts