I don't like Hornady New Dimension dies.

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by notajeep, Oct 12, 2011.

1. notajeep

notajeep G&G Addict

I've been doing some reloading for a friend. He bought a bunch of LC .223 brass and a set of dies. I have RCBS, Lyman, Redding and maybe one other type. Anyway the de-capping/F.L. size die is very moody. To little lube while on the up stroke and it feels like I'm going to pull the rim off the brass. To much lube and you guessed it, oil canning/dents in the shoulder. I've even put a little lube inside the case neck. That works great for about five shells. Then very hard once again. I've never had this small of a window on any other F.L size die. The only thing I can say good about this die set is the bullet seat die is amazing, it's smooth like KY with the neighbor girl. It's like the decapping pin should be lubed frequently and thats not normal at least with my other dies.

2. Tracer

Tracer G&G Aussie Dad Forum Contributor

I stuck a case in my o6' die. then went to a lee neck sizer but kept using the seating die.Parts and pieces all over my reloading room,grin

3. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I had the same problem with them in 223 I switched to RCBS and never looked back,

4. jimkim

jimkim G&G Enthusiast

Mix up some #8 or 9 shot, and powdered graphite in a small container(pill bottle, film canister). Stick your necks in and give them a twist. This will dry lube the necks. Over time, graphite will be deposited on the expander ball, and you won't need to lube inside the necks as often.

5. notajeep

notajeep G&G Addict

I got a quart of some type of moly paste. I was thinking of mixing it with some denatured alcohol and scotch bright chunks and some bullets and some shot in the tumbler for a but. Maybe I could figure out how to get it on the expander ball. Right now I'm thinking about the mess I'll have in the garage.

6. jimkim

jimkim G&G Enthusiast

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  7. notajeep

notajeep G&G Addict

Looks like I'll figure out how to lube these dies. This is the first set I've ever used where additional lube must be added frequently. Thanks

8. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I learned that the Hornady dies prefer if not require the Hornady One Shot case lube, they ran well with it but anything else was a nightmare, That's why I now have a green box and not a red one!

9. Romey

Romey G&G Enthusiast

I like em and never had a issue..Actually found them to load very straight

10. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Evangelist

have one set other than not being able to figure out how to crimp with them i kinda like them.

11. gamehunter

gamehunter G&G Evangelist

The one and only set of hornady dies I had put me off hornady reloading equipment for the rest of my life. I used one shot on my cases and followed the one shot instructions the case got jammed in the sizing die and while using a stuck case remover the Cframe press I had broke in the process, I emailed hornady about the case lube and ETC Jason Hornady said he would replace my dies as the case was really jammed in there and the case rim etc was also too damaged to get that **** case out. Well to say I never got my **** replacement dies so since then hornady have made my blacklist with the exception of their bullets and ammo.

12. High Noon

High Noon G&G Enthusiast

I have the new dimension dies for 300WM and have not had a problem with re sizing, however, the bullet seating die is a POS! Pretty simple procedure right? Bullet goes on top of case, pull down on handle and presto! For some strange reason the slide/guide occasionally binds about half way through the down-stroke and the cussing begins.

13. notajeep

notajeep G&G Addict

Well yesterday I ordered a Redding FL die. As for the Hornady New Dimension I really like the bullet seat die after discarding the little rubber washer out of it. I'm very interested to see how this new Redding FL die functions vs the Hornady New Dimension FL. This is only the 2nd Redding I'll own. Hopefully the reason the Redding dies cost 75% more than RCBS and or Hornady is quickly noticed once I get all set up.

As for lube and the Hornady New Dimension FL die, too little was a problem the cases grew in length quite a bit. Too much lube was very easy to do. Seemed like every 3rd or 4th round needed slightly more to keep things going smoothly. I sure don't have these problems with other brass and other dies. I do not recommend the Hornady New Dimension FL Size die to anyone.

14. telkev

telkev G&G Newbie

I dont care for the Hornady dies either. I bought a set in 223 also because i was tired of having to change the seating depth on my redding dies for different guns. After ruining about half a dozen pieces of brass with the resizing die because it is quite diffwrent than what i was acustom to with the redding dies, a long winded string of cussing occured. From now on im sticking with the reddings. They may be good dies and easy to use for someone else, but ive gotten old and set in my ways.

15. gunnerdave

gunnerdave G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I bought a set of New Dimension dies with a titanium nitride sizer in .32 ACP to reload for a Czech border guard pistol (CZ50) I picked up during my tour near the East German/Czech border.

They worked OK, but the coke bottle effect was VERY noticeable. I'll stick with RCBS and Lee dies. They work geat. No ugly ammo.

16. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

They do need to be cleaned and lubed before first use. And yes, Hornady does recommend using their One Shot Cleaner/Dry Lubrication.

I've found most people with issues either didn't clean them before first use, didn't clean them well and or didn't lube them properly if at all after cleaning. Or in the case of rifle cartridges, didn't coat the cases with enough case lube. I cleaned every set of my dies and have tinkered with each and every one and have yet to have an issue. But then I did clean and lube them as suggested and with One Shot and if they've sat, I give them a cleaning before each use.

In short, most issues are due to not being cleaned as recommended and not being properly dry-lubed. And yes, this means taking them apart and cleaning them. Just like guns, they're coated with a rust inhibitor and unless you remove that and lube afterwards, yes, you will have problems.

As for the decapping die issue, you may not have it set properly/have it set to deep. I found going a little shorter then the 3/16" I think it was/is as the instructions say works a little better. And again, I thoroughly cleaned and lubed them with One Shot after I cleaned them. Again, no issues as of yet. But then again, I have only tinkered with each to get them set in their own bushings so all I have to do is twist, remove, twist and lock anytime I need or want to change dies sets.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  17. notajeep

notajeep G&G Addict

Well maybe I'm a little dirty, and sloppy with the lube. My wife doesn't seem to mind. Got my Redding die yesterday, cleaned it and ran four brass through it to get set and locked down as required had no issues. Works like a champ, I'm still smiling. As for the Hornady FL, well I tossed it back in the box. I did steal the cross bolt style lock ring from it and put on the new Redding die. I think thats the second best thing Hornady has ever done.

18. jimkim

jimkim G&G Enthusiast

If you ever get a chance to try some Pacific Durachrome dies do it. I think you'll like them a lot.

19. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Evangelist

over time i've just accepted the fact some manufacturers stuff works better than others.

hence i use a hodgepodge bag of dies, lock rings, lubes, press, ect.. my lee crimp dies have rcbs lock rings cause those rubberized ones they come with blow chunks and now from lot to lot i can always get the same firm crimp instead of hoping.rcbs resizers and mostly lee seaters.if your gonna use a hornaday it appears your stuck with thier lube.

if this is somethin you care not to live with learn from it .

if one manufacturer had it all they'd be the only one left standing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted