close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I figured out what is wrong here

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Robert, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Robert

Robert Member

You cant log on here and see at a glance if anyone has responded to a topic or string of interest. It takes forever, you have to search and open one thing after another, and then you have to have a score card next to your computer to count the replies to a string. It dosent say WHO has replied to that string unless you open it up. So, in the long run, It sucks you in and it takes an hour to check Gun&Game forums for what used to take a few minutes. Here, I will take a poll... Anyone on here that used to use G&G and check approximately 6 different rooms that you were interested in.... Put it to the test. How long does it take NOW to effectively check and respond to the same rooms that you used to do? I liked Gun&Game, but you know what? I dont want to dedicate ALL of my free time to it.

Is anyone else of this opinion? Or is it me?

2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

New Forums

When we get the homepage up we will have the main categories (Hunting, Military Firearms,ect.) divided into sections which link to the forums. This should make browsing easier.

I'm sorry about your dislike of the current forum format. I've said it many times over the past week: if we stayed on the old forum software, the website would experience downtime and would likely fold. Chip told me the hurdles that had to be jumped to keep this site running: bandwith, site growth,new server ect. The average member of this site isn't familiar with the day to day activities this administration goes through to keep this site running. All of which to this point Chris and I do in our free time, planning daily on how to improve the site. I hate to say this, but the old format cannot be brought back. We could not even transfer the old posts (regretfully) without risk of crashing the new server host we moved to. GunandGame.com outgrew the old software... it's simple as that. I loved the old format for posting,ect., but as administrator I hated it because of the time and constant upkeep it demanded; as well as our old server e-mailing me twice saying that the website will be suspended if we don't change something.

It's not a matter of wanting to change, we had to in order to save the site. I cannot bring the old format back even if I wanted to. Give this time, as Chris and I add new features you may grow to like this newer software...

Thanks,

Jesse :)

3. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
  4. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Actually you can find out who has responded to what thread by click on the number of replies it has inside every category...

It will send a pop up window that tells you who replied.

5. Lightfoot

Lightfoot G&G Newbie

I think we will all get used to it and like it better once we learn the navigation tricks.

6. Chris

Well I just added a quick reply box to every forum so that everyone can reply without hitting the reply button, just like on the old software.

7. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

You know you can check a little box that send you E-mail notification that you got a response, right?

8. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Chris: You've done a great job of making the necessary changes in this forum. We'll get used to them and then wonder how we got along without them.

This is just another example of the old saying that "change is the only thing that is constant".

Keep up the good work.

(By the way, how do I "preview" what I'm about to post? My first attempt at this posting got lost because I punched "reset form". Is there a "review" button?)

Oxford

9. Chris

I took the reset button out, that is an accident waiting to happen, I will put a preview button up soon, but it is there if you press the reply button.

10. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Just testing to see if the "reply" button allows you to preview your message.

11. Chris

You have to go to the graphicl reply button and get a new screen up, then you can test it, as it is right now you just submit the main things

12. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    If you go to the "Post Reply" button near the bottom on the right, you get a larger box in which to create your reply, and near the bottom much as before, you can select the "Preview Reply" button as before.

While you Preview your reply, you can scroll down and read all of the messages, to assure yourself that you said what you wanted to say.

I dunno, it still takes a lot of time, and I will just have to bite my tongue, until everything is settled down.

Klaus, what do you think??

13. Chris

Please do not bite your toungue, and if there are suggestions or such you would like to see added to the this forum please I need to know, as I can not know everything you think.

14. Robert

Robert Member

Hey Chris, Jesse..... Relax...

boo..

15. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

I'm just happy the site is STILL HERE. I'll deal with the bumps in the road as they come up.

16. I,personally, like the new format very well. It shows a lot of well thought out concepts and hard work. Great job guys.

17. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Chris, how do you get the cute picture under your name? Is this an option available to the other users, and is there a listing of them to choose from? I've seen this sort of thing on some other forums.