Gun and Game Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Phase IV: "finished"

Well, I went to the gun shop today to get my hands on braces and blades, I was really trying to decide between the sb mini and the shockwave blade. however, while i was there i noticed one i hadnt seen before, its by the same company that made the LPK I got, Strike Industries. its very similar to the shockwave blade, but i think its designed alittle better. long story short after a good discussion with the owner and handling several pistols, I picked up one of these braces. most of the buffer tubes were in kit form, which i didnt need, so I found they had a CMMG pistol buffer. It screws right on the receiver without using a castle nut, and has a nice profile that transitions well, this part I could definitely got for cheaper, but it was there and was what i needed. The only stand alone end plate they had was a BCM QD for $20.95, this stock has a QD mount build into it so I didn't need that. guy goes "well, if you buy those other two items ill throw in a milspec endplate" im like oh ok thats what a few bucks?.. " no its free, i got a ton of 'em!"

so anyways, I got the last 3 pieces I needed to complete the build. I could have saved a little by ordering online, but I didn't want to wait, plus, support local business right?..

I stated above "finished" because it is now a complete functioning firearm... im sure ill continue to tinker with it as time goes on but for now its done. Eventually i'll put some BUIS on it.

Final Parts/ cost list:

Anderson Mfg lower: $34.99
Magpul MOE K2 grip: $20.95
Magpul enhanced trigger guard: $8.95
Strike Industries Enhanced Lower Parts Kit-
no grip or trigger guard $69.95
Bear Creek Arsenal 10.5" 5.56 1/7 complete upper: $175
Strike industries Pistol Brace: $44.95
CMMG Pistol Buffer Tube: $39.99
End plate, basic: Free
Carbine Buffer spring: Already had ($5)
Carbine buffer( blue rubber bit): already had($15)
Holosun 403b: already had($179)
Rail mount sling mount: Already had ($5)

Total cost: $394.78

Cost including parts I already had: $598.78

In the cost I didnt include the $15 background check fee, also since the store I bought the lower through didnt charge and ffl transfer fee as long as i bought $25 worth of merch, so I got the magpul K2 grip and enhanced trigger guard which I was going to have to buy anyways, there is no transfer fee included in the cost.

Cant wait to get this thing out to the range!! I sure hope it all functions well. it all seems to work and function as it should, the only thing i wish was alittle better was the lower/ upper fit. there is a pretty good bit of play, but I made a shim for the rear takedown pin and when there is a mag in the gun its pretty solid.. we'll see if it effects the shooting experience. I compared it to my S&W MP-15 and its not that much more play so that made me feel alittle better.

even though its only 6" shorter, well 6.5 since the other one has a smith vortex Flashider which is longer than an a2, it feels soo much more handy and compact. not so much lighter, it just handles better. I really notice the difference when its hanging on my chest with the 2 point sling. the barrel doesnt hit my legs when moving around.

The holosun 403b RDS seems right at home on this gun, more so than it did on the 16" carbine with FSP.

what else can I say about it... its COOL!!

IMG_20191009_155723.jpg

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
the charging handle that came with the upper seems to be out of spec. its very hard to close the bolt and charging handle all the way into the upper, seems to be a significant contact point where the top little nub of the CH rides against the upper ceiling of the inside of the upper. so i swapped out the CH with the spikes tactical one that I have in my 16" carbine. seems to run much smoother now.

Im going to TRY to sneak to the range tomorrow.. we'll see.. fingers crossed!

I really want to see A how it functions and B how tight a group it can shoot.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
man i was hoping to get some trigger time in today but it just didnt come together. I didnt have enough free time to drive up to the mountains and shoot, and i didnt want to pay the high range fee's near me, also I called and they had 13 people waiting for rifle bays... so nixed that one!

anyways, ill have plenty of time next week/weekend. just gotta be patient.. im bad at that!

I plan on feeding this rifle a diet of the usual m193/m855 for range and GP usage. for HD and long range im thinking of two rounds, for close range/ HD it will be 50 gr tipped .223, now for long range I havent really decided. It does have a 1/7 twist so it can handle heavier loads. i have some 68 gr hornady bthp that im going to test at out to 100 or so. maybe ill try some 69 or even 75 grain stuff. idk.. ive never really messed with anything over 62 grains since until now ive only had a 1/9 twist rifle.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,749 Posts
Phase IV: "finished"

Well, I went to the gun shop today to get my hands on braces and blades, I was really trying to decide between the sb mini and the shockwave blade. however, while i was there i noticed one i hadnt seen before, its by the same company that made the LPK I got, Strike Industries. its very similar to the shockwave blade, but i think its designed alittle better. long story short after a good discussion with the owner and handling several pistols, I picked up one of these braces. most of the buffer tubes were in kit form, which i didnt need, so I found they had a CMMG pistol buffer. It screws right on the receiver without using a castle nut, and has a nice profile that transitions well, this part I could definitely got for cheaper, but it was there and was what i needed. The only stand alone end plate they had was a BCM QD for $20.95, this stock has a QD mount build into it so I didn't need that. guy goes "well, if you buy those other two items ill throw in a milspec endplate" im like oh ok thats what a few bucks?.. " no its free, i got a ton of 'em!"

so anyways, I got the last 3 pieces I needed to complete the build. I could have saved a little by ordering online, but I didn't want to wait, plus, support local business right?..

I stated above "finished" because it is now a complete functioning firearm... im sure ill continue to tinker with it as time goes on but for now its done. Eventually i'll put some BUIS on it.

Final Parts/ cost list:

Anderson Mfg lower: $34.99
Magpul MOE K2 grip: $20.95
Magpul enhanced trigger guard: $8.95
Strike Industries Enhanced Lower Parts Kit-
no grip or trigger guard $69.95
Bear Creek Arsenal 10.5" 5.56 1/7 complete upper: $175
Strike industries Pistol Brace: $44.95
CMMG Pistol Buffer Tube: $39.99
End plate, basic: Free
Carbine Buffer spring: Already had ($5)
Carbine buffer( blue rubber bit): already had($15)
Holosun 403b: already had($179)
Rail mount sling mount: Already had ($5)

Total cost: $394.78

Cost including parts I already had: $598.78

In the cost I didnt include the $15 background check fee, also since the store I bought the lower through didnt charge and ffl transfer fee as long as i bought $25 worth of merch, so I got the magpul K2 grip and enhanced trigger guard which I was going to have to buy anyways, there is no transfer fee included in the cost.

Cant wait to get this thing out to the range!! I sure hope it all functions well. it all seems to work and function as it should, the only thing i wish was alittle better was the lower/ upper fit. there is a pretty good bit of play, but I made a shim for the rear takedown pin and when there is a mag in the gun its pretty solid.. we'll see if it effects the shooting experience. I compared it to my S&W MP-15 and its not that much more play so that made me feel alittle better.

even though its only 6" shorter, well 6.5 since the other one has a smith vortex Flashider which is longer than an a2, it feels soo much more handy and compact. not so much lighter, it just handles better. I really notice the difference when its hanging on my chest with the 2 point sling. the barrel doesnt hit my legs when moving around.

The holosun 403b RDS seems right at home on this gun, more so than it did on the 16" carbine with FSP.

what else can I say about it... its COOL!!

View attachment 128696
Congratulations !

But methinks you're not finished. lol.

I don't know of ANY AR builder who's ever finished.

Perhaps you're done with THIS build.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I shoot Nosler Custom Competition 77 grain bullets through my pistol with a 1:7 twist. Then again, that's the only projectile I shoot, as my other ARs also have a 1:7 twist. simplifies the reloading process and ammo storage. Everything is the same load.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Dagnabbit, MosinRuger. I went to the range today and your talk of AR pistols got me fired up to shoot my sweet little pistol...suppressed. My darling wife had never shot my AR pistol because every gun of mine that she shoots, she decides she needs it more than me.

Well, I laid my pistol down to spot for my Son-In-Law and I heard the unmistakable sound of my pistol being fired. My wife has loaded it up and is blasting away. When I get back to the bench, she lays the pistol down and says "I want one!" with an gleam in her eye. She is not getting mine, so I'll be borrowing your parts list and building her one of her very own.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Dagnabbit, MosinRuger. I went to the range today and your talk of AR pistols got me fired up to shoot my sweet little pistol...suppressed. My darling wife had never shot my AR pistol because every gun of mine that she shoots, she decides she needs it more than me.

Well, I laid my pistol down to spot for my Son-In-Law and I heard the unmistakable sound of my pistol being fired. My wife has loaded it up and is blasting away. When I get back to the bench, she lays the pistol down and says "I want one!" with an gleam in her eye. She is not getting mine, so I'll be borrowing your parts list and building her one of her very own.
Im sorry..?

nah...Your welcome!

·
<------------<<<-
3,804 Posts
My wife has loaded it up and is blasting away. When I get back to the bench, she lays the pistol down and says "I want one!" with an gleam in her eye. She is not getting mine, so I'll be borrowing your parts list and building her one of her very own.
The same exact thing just happened with my girlfriend and my AR last week!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The same exact thing just happened with my girlfriend and my AR last week!
Interestingly enough, when my daughter got off work, she and her hubby stopped by the house. She was saying she'd like an AR, but couldn't afford one. I spout off with, "Why don't you build one?" She says it would be too hard. I said, "Really? Once all the parts are in hand, a few hours should be all it takes. I already have all the tools needed from my last build." Guess what we're doing as a family this winter? Building AR's. Heck, I might build another myself, just to stay in practice.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I picked up 2 boxes of hornady frontier 75 gr BTHP to try out, I tried some of the 62 gr bthp in my 16" and it didnt like it very much, but maybe this shorter 1/7 twist will like it better, its got good reviews. Ive never messed with such high weight rounds in this caliber so im kinda looking forward to shooting it.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I got my best accuracy with heavy bullets running near max, loaded with varget. I didn't go heavier than 69 or 70 grain bullets though. Let us know what happens.

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
ok, well, got Blaster'd out to the range today. not sure if thats its name i just made it up now...

started out with a 2-7x32 scope on it and had a heck of a time getting it on paper. i needed a 25 yard target but only had 50 and 100. so anyways, spent some time doing that and get fed up and ask if they can bore sight it, they agree, but take forever to get around to it, in the meantime i got it pretty close. then i decided to let them sight it in with my Red dot so i didnt have to go through that all again. both of these optics were sighted in for my 16" rifle, and both were like 1.5' high!

anyways once i got the RDS all sighted in it was gravy until.. failure to eject.. hmm fussed with it for idk how long trying everything i could think of, kinda forgot about accuracy and just started shooting for function.. it would get one, maybe two down range and then fail to eject, bolt would stop about halfway through its rearward stroke...or it would eject the one in the chamber and return to battery but not load another round or activate the trigger..

finally gave up and went home with my head down..

Once home I gave it a closer look over, and dang it, the dagum gas block had come loose and walked itself foward a milimeter or three.. both set screws were loose.. no thread locker on either!

so anyways, that explains the lack of gas pressure to fully eject.. I took the handguard off, removed the gasblock, and then reinstalled it all with threadlocker and made sure it was all as tight as i could comfortably get it. there was a dimple in the barrel for one of the set screws but not both, so as long as the screws stay put the block should as well.

I think it should be fixed now, but i have to wait until i can get out to the range again to test it out.... accuracy was decent, I really didn't get a chance to focus on accuracy to be honest.

As long as the gas block stays put and is lined up correctly this thing should run well, it ran well and smooth for about 90 rounds of various ammo from several different mags until the gas block came loose, then i started having the issues. hopefully this was just getting all the little( or major) things sorted out with the first rounds down range and next time i wont have any issues.

the Strike Industries Brace works well, not too uncomfortable at all, and i put probably 120 rounds through it altogether. trigger is nice and crisp if a little heavy. reset is short and positive. all side controls functioned as they should.. heck the a2 didnt even have me wishing for something with a more blast forward design! im really happy with a 10.5" barrel, its long enough and short enough.

so.. to sum it up, i cant say im totally unhappy, but not thrilled either. hoping next time i can focus more on accuracy and really get to run it and build some trust in it. right now its not a HD gun. I'll keep yall updated.

50yrdpistol.jpg

Top right is 50 grain varmint tip

below that is the 75 gr.

center bottom is 55 gr mfj. you can see how i had to walk it up, i was shooting the 7!!

upper left is m855

this is all with the RDS, except a the bottom one, which is both rds and 2-7.

·
Premium Member
23,743 Posts
ok, well, got Blaster'd out to the range today. not sure if thats its name i just made it up now...

started out with a 2-7x32 scope on it and had a heck of a time getting it on paper. i needed a 25 yard target but only had 50 and 100. so anyways, spent some time doing that and get fed up and ask if they can bore sight it, they agree, but take forever to get around to it, in the meantime i got it pretty close. then i decided to let them sight it in with my Red dot so i didnt have to go through that all again. both of these optics were sighted in for my 16" rifle, and both were like 1.5' high!

anyways once i got the RDS all sighted in it was gravy until.. failure to eject.. hmm fussed with it for idk how long trying everything i could think of, kinda forgot about accuracy and just started shooting for function.. it would get one, maybe two down range and then fail to eject, bolt would stop about halfway through its rearward stroke...or it would eject the one in the chamber and return to battery but not load another round or activate the trigger..

finally gave up and went home with my head down..

Once home I gave it a closer look over, and dang it, the dagum gas block had come loose and walked itself foward a milimeter or three.. both set screws were loose.. no thread locker on either!

so anyways, that explains the lack of gas pressure to fully eject.. I took the handguard off, removed the gasblock, and then reinstalled it all with threadlocker and made sure it was all as tight as i could comfortably get it. there was a dimple in the barrel for one of the set screws but not both, so as long as the screws stay put the block should as well.

I think it should be fixed now, but i have to wait until i can get out to the range again to test it out.... accuracy was decent, I really didn't get a chance to focus on accuracy to be honest.

As long as the gas block stays put and is lined up correctly this thing should run well, it ran well and smooth for about 90 rounds of various ammo from several different mags until the gas block came loose, then i started having the issues. hopefully this was just getting all the little( or major) things sorted out with the first rounds down range and next time i wont have any issues.

the Strike Industries Brace works well, not too uncomfortable at all, and i put probably 120 rounds through it altogether. trigger is nice and crisp if a little heavy. reset is short and positive. all side controls functioned as they should.. heck the a2 didnt even have me wishing for something with a more blast forward design! im really happy with a 10.5" barrel, its long enough and short enough.

so.. to sum it up, i cant say im totally unhappy, but not thrilled either. hoping next time i can focus more on accuracy and really get to run it and build some trust in it. right now its not a HD gun. I'll keep yall updated.

View attachment 129056

Top right is 50 grain varmint tip

below that is the 75 gr.

center bottom is 55 gr mfj. you can see how i had to walk it up, i was shooting the 7!!

upper left is m855

this is all with the RDS, except a the bottom one, which is both rds and 2-7.
Yes sir that loose gas block is most likely 100% the cause of the failure to eject problem. I had a cheapo gas block I ordered online somewhere a few years ago that had the gas port drilled in the wrong location by a wee bit and it partially covered the gas port in the barrel. Being undergassed like that it would intermittently fail to eject or short stroke too.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I remembered I have a few boxes of steel cased .223 that i refused to shoot in my S&W mp-15.

buut i think im going to use it to test the pistol with. its about 120 rounds. the gas block came loose at about 90 rounds last time, so i feel like if i can get a good 120 through it without it moving thats a good start to reliability.

Ive been dipping into my brass ammo stash so im glad i "found" this stuff i can use to test it without having to burn up more of my good stuff. Plus if it will run this cheap tulammo and silverbear it should be fine with brass cased ammo. Ill just have to remember to clean the chamber really well after i burn up all the steel cased stuff.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
well, i made it out to one of my mountain shooting spots today. it was pretty cool since it was lightly snowing. it was actually like 35 degrees and windy, but hey, it was a good chance to test skills/ equipment in adverse conditions

the pistol shot well, no issues with function or reliability, even with the steel cased ammo. I put about 125 through it today. It's pretty darn accurate for just an RDS.

I can finally say im happy with the build!!

IMG_20191023_111312.jpg

IMG_20191023_143635.jpg

the target was shot from about 45 yards, not quite 50. Prone position.
First I shot the bottom left, 50 gr tipped.
second was the top center, 55 gr fmj
after that one i adjusted right 2 clicks and shot the upper right target, close enough for me.
left side middle row was 75 gr bthp
right center is m855
bottom right is some 68 gr bthp

Im very happy with this performance, I had planned to throw a higher magnification scope on it to test for accuracy but after this I didn't feel the need to. Now I want to stretch it out and see how it does at several hundred yards.

Im going to get a few more boxes of that 75 gr bthp hornady frontier. its not the most accurate 75 gr out there but its good enough for the distances i plan to use it and for the price i like it.

its looking like this guns load out will be a mix of m193/m855, 75 gr bthp and 50 gr vt. that should cover all the bases for it. for home defense ill continue load the 50 gr tipped loads. if im taking the rifle(pistol) into the mountains ill load the 75 gr for better performance at range. and for GP/ plinking the FMJ will do just fine.

YAY happy times!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Super! Glad this build turned out so nice for you, once the initial glitch was addressed. Actually, it looks like that pistol will shoot just about anything you feed it. Well done.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Congrats :) . The AR platform just isn't my cup of tea, but I do like my Mini's & AK's. However after having an AR in 6.5 Grendel & letting it go I've been pondering getting it back or finding another one :) ...

41 - 60 of 97 Posts