Gun and Game Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Interestingly enough, when my daughter got off work, she and her hubby stopped by the house. She was saying she'd like an AR, but couldn't afford one. I spout off with, "Why don't you build one?" She says it would be too hard. I said, "Really? Once all the parts are in hand, a few hours should be all it takes. I already have all the tools needed from my last build." Guess what we're doing as a family this winter? Building AR's. Heck, I might build another myself, just to stay in practice.
For folks who just want a cheapo AR for home defense and little shooting, ATI is selling their plastic (infused polymer upper and lower) for $369 now. Weighs about a pounds less than mil-spec aluminum. think ClassicArms.com has them. I have never been a fan of plastic guns, although I have several Glocks and others in my safe and all work great. I build my guns as close to mil spec as possible but I run them hard as well and I do shoot surpressed most of the time.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
For folks who just want a cheapo AR for home defense and little shooting, ATI is selling their plastic (infused polymer upper and lower) for $369 now. Weighs about a pounds less than mil-spec aluminum. think ClassicArms.com has them. I have never been a fan of plastic guns, although I have several Glocks and others in my safe and all work great. I build my guns as close to mil spec as possible but I run them hard as well and I do shoot surpressed most of the time.
$369 for just the upper and lower, or is it a complete rifle?
also the extra pound lighter might sound nice but aluminum is already really light.

I wouldn't consider it a cheapo ar if the upper and lowers start at $369, my entire pistol build cost about the same amount.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
You guys with ar-pistols do you use a handstop or something similar?

Im thinking about adding a magpul handstop and a small mlok rail cover on the bottom of the hand guard. I feel like it would be good to have something to stop my hand from going too far forward and also something to use to brace the forearm on a hard surface like window sill or tree limb etc..

BUIS are also on the list but i honestly cant decide which ones i want. the magpul pro are nice but more then i want to spend. and im not sure I want the polymer mbus sights.. idk still mullng that over and might hold off a while. this Holosun TDS seems to be holding up pretty well so im hopeful about its long term reliability.

https://www.magpul.com/products/m-lok-hand-stop-kit

·
<------------<<<-
3,804 Posts
As far as the hand stop, I have a short rail on the last slot on the bottom of the forend tube. Personally, I usually hold my rifles closer to the action, so holding the pistol length stuff isn't too different for me.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Ordered some take down/ pivot pin shims.. this is more a general ar item as its a pack of 6 various sized shims. the main reason i got them is to remove some side to side play in the front pivot pin area. i have determined it is not the upper, rather the lower, or more likely a combination of the two's tolerances. i swapped a few uppers and lowers the bear creek upper was tighter in other lowers.... anyways, the lower receiver pivot pin tangs seem to have too much space in between them, so that the upper actually moves from side to side, making a pretty annoying rattle when doing so. So after some reading online i thought these pivot pin shims would be a simple easy solution. as long as you just open the weapon from the rear its like the arent even there, if you do need to completely remove the upper form the lower you just have to remember to not loose the shims as the will not be retained once the front pivot pin is removed.

it was $10 bucks for a 6 pack, i figured why not give it a shot?

https://www.triggershims.com/ar_15_shims.html#S23

after i ordered i got an email confirm from the owner/ operators, seems like a decent outfit. free shipping....they asked me to notify them if i didnt get it in the alotted time frame and asked that I share their website as they rely on Wrd of Mouth for business( although i just found them on the ole google machine)..

Will report back once they arrive.

I already have an accuwedge in the rear take down pin area on both my ar platforms, they just help keep everything nice and tight. but it doesnt help this front side to side play.

the lower seems fine otherwise and since i've already got it all built how i like it i dont want to send it in for replacement even if they were willing( which i doubt). Anderson MFG customer service responded to an email i sent them and asked me to complete and return a warranty form to get the process started. they asked for picture.. which i told them i could provide but they arent really going to show anything. I suspect even if i sent it to them for eval they would just come back and say " its within spec and all uppers/ lowers will have some play". which i understand but in my experience this is more than should be acceptable.
I dont have any calipers to measure it, but once the shims arrive ill be able to tell how much it take to shim it up.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
well no shims yet but I did get out shooting again today. the Bear creek/ Anderson ar pistol ran fine, no malfunctions. about another 100 rounds through it today for a total of about 350 so far with 225 malfunction free. wasn't really shooting for accuracy, mostly tactical drills and short bursts. lots of lowering and raising the weapon to practice consistent shouldering and therefore correct eye/ rds alignment.

not much but its a start to really being able to trust the reliability of this pistol.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
checked the mailbox tonight and there was a few things in there, among them was an envelope with the shims. packed well. all 6 in there, clearly color coded and labeled for size.

as of now I have both a .005+ a .002 on the front pivot pin for a total of .007... not sure if thats good or bad or what. I was kinda surprised as i started with the smallest one and went up from there. I also threw a .003 on the rear take down pin but i dont think ill leave that there as it will be loose anytime the gun is opened up. Plus I think with the shims up front and an accuwedge in the back( which pretty much stays in place on its own) its plenty tight and im happy with that.

This thing sure is fun to tinker with!

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
You guys with ar-pistols do you use a handstop or something similar?

Im thinking about adding a magpul handstop and a small mlok rail cover on the bottom of the hand guard. I feel like it would be good to have something to stop my hand from going too far forward and also something to use to brace the forearm on a hard surface like window sill or tree limb etc..

BUIS are also on the list but i honestly cant decide which ones i want. the magpul pro are nice but more then i want to spend. and im not sure I want the polymer mbus sights.. idk still mullng that over and might hold off a while. this Holosun TDS seems to be holding up pretty well so im hopeful about its long term reliability.

https://www.magpul.com/products/m-lok-hand-stop-kit
I don't find that I need a hand stop on a 10.5" barrel.
I would absolutely want a hand stop for an 8" barrel. My short 9mm has a suppressor on it which prevents me from reaching in front of the bore. It's awfully short without it...

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I got one of the magpul Mlok hand stop kits and put it on the pistol... still not 100% convinced im going to keep it, or at least change the way its set up.

I like having something up there, just not quite sure what. I kinda want to try just some of the magpul mlok covers. just the flat little sections. the HG on this pistol has good sized cut outs, which is light weight, but it can be a little sharp on the hands after a while. plus, i just want something to index with and make sure i get my hand in the same place each time and not too far forward.

hskit1.jpg

I think the next thing im going to get is a new sling... thinking magpul, black. I didn't intend to but im kinda becoming a magpul junkie. its pretty good stuff at very reasonable prices.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I got one of the magpul Mlok hand stop kits and put it on the pistol... still not 100% convinced im going to keep it, or at least change the way its set up.

I like having something up there, just not quite sure what. I kinda want to try just some of the magpul mlok covers. just the flat little sections. the HG on this pistol has good sized cut outs, which is light weight, but it can be a little sharp on the hands after a while. plus, i just want something to index with and make sure i get my hand in the same place each time and not too far forward.

View attachment 130680

I think the next thing im going to get is a new sling... thinking magpul, black. I didn't intend to but im kinda becoming a magpul junkie. its pretty good stuff at very reasonable prices.
Yeah, it's pretty easy to get to liking Magpul. Like you say, good stuff at reasonable prices. I am huge fan of their magazines, light, easy to grip when wet and pretty quiet when they're empty. Never had a bad mag from Magpul. (Knocking on wood.)

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Update on parts / cost as I have made a few additions since last update:

Final Parts/ cost list:

Anderson Mfg lower: $34.99
Magpul MOE K2 grip: $20.95
Magpul enhanced trigger guard: $8.95
Strike Industries Enhanced Lower Parts Kit- $69.95
Bear Creek Arsenal 10.5" 5.56 1/7 complete upper: $175
Strike industries Pistol Brace: $44.95
CMMG Pistol Buffer Tube: $39.99
End plate, basic: Free
Magpul hand stop kit: $20
Sling: $15
BUIS: $25
Carbine Buffer spring: Already had ($5)
Carbine buffer( blue rubber buffer): already had($15)
Rail mount sling mount: Already had ($5)

Cost (including parts I already had): ~$478

Holosun 403b: already had ($140):

Total cost as equipped: ~$618

All in all im pretty happy with the cost. I stayed pretty low on the budget but actually got a few upgrades compared to buying a pre built pistol, the cheapest of which I can find today is ~$400, but didnt include a brace or BUIS. In addition to the small enhancements, I also was able to customize it exactly how i wanted it to be built. for instance the magpul moe k2 grip, most pre built lowers are going to come with a2 grips which I would have changed anyways.

the lower parts kit i could have saved a few bucks on, but i think the Strike industries enhanced lower parts kit is a great bang for buck upgrade. this includes all the parts( minus grip) that you actually touch/ manipulate when using the firearm. so i figured that was a good place to spend a little extra. also the trigger is muuuch better than a typical milspec you'll get with a cheap pre built lower. not super light, but its got very little take up and a crisp break and short reset. love it. the sear surfaces are polished and i think the springs are slightly lighter than true a true milspec trigger. the safety is another big plus here. I have never given much thought to the saftey, milspec works just fine and always has. however i have now seen the light. the SI LPK lets you configure the safety in several ways, from singe 90* to ambi 60 degree, which is how im using it. the ambi levers allow you to use either thumb or trigger finger, that along with the 60* throw lets me easily put the safety back on after shooting. the stndrd 90 thumb is fine for quickly taking safety off, but not so much for putting it back on. the enlarged bolt catch is also nice.

The Optic: I could have used a cheaper RDS to keep the cost down, however i felt this was as low as i wanted to go on quality with that. I was skeptical of going to an RDS in the first place as my past experiences have been mixed. I have never owned a RDS until now, however i have shot a lot of guns with them and have seen many cheaper ones be nothing but problematic. I wasnt going to shell out the $$$ for aimpoint or something like that, so Holosun hs403b and sig romeo 5 were the two i considered. I went with the HS for 2 main reasons, the auto on/ off feature, and the 1/3 co-witness mount. So far i'm happy with it. as long as it lasts a while it will be worth the money. the features are great and the dot, while not as crisp as an aimpoint, is crisp enough.

While i haven't yet made the purchase I think im going to go with either some cheap buis from amazon, ozark armament micro buis, or some magpul mbus's.. still haven't decided on that part, waiting to see what deals i find for black friday. yes im going super cheap on the buis, but hey, i dont plan to use them much! plus, ya know, im not in combat so I wont die if they fail.

And with that the build is pretty much done, as in nothing else needs to be done, its a fully functional pistol and is set up how i want it for now. Its pretty "high speed; low drag" so to say, nothing on it that inst mission critical.. I might toy around with a small light mounted out front, but idk, I have never been a fan of Weapon mounted lights, just a me thing, i get the practical/ tactical applications ive just never wanted one on my guns... too much bulk.

anywho, thats all for now folks!

New pics incoming!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Update on parts / cost as I have made a few additions since last update:

Final Parts/ cost list:

Anderson Mfg lower: $34.99
Magpul MOE K2 grip: $20.95
Magpul enhanced trigger guard: $8.95
Strike Industries Enhanced Lower Parts Kit- $69.95
Bear Creek Arsenal 10.5" 5.56 1/7 complete upper: $175
Strike industries Pistol Brace: $44.95
CMMG Pistol Buffer Tube: $39.99
End plate, basic: Free
Magpul hand stop kit: $20
Sling: $15
BUIS: $25
Carbine Buffer spring: Already had ($5)
Carbine buffer( blue rubber buffer): already had($15)
Rail mount sling mount: Already had ($5)

Cost (including parts I already had): ~$478

Holosun 403b: already had ($140):

Total cost as equipped: ~$618

All in all im pretty happy with the cost. I stayed pretty low on the budget but actually got a few upgrades compared to buying a pre built pistol, the cheapest of which I can find today is ~$400, but didnt include a brace or BUIS. In addition to the small enhancements, I also was able to customize it exactly how i wanted it to be built. for instance the magpul moe k2 grip, most pre built lowers are going to come with a2 grips which I would have changed anyways.

the lower parts kit i could have saved a few bucks on, but i think the Strike industries enhanced lower parts kit is a great bang for buck upgrade. this includes all the parts( minus grip) that you actually touch/ manipulate when using the firearm. so i figured that was a good place to spend a little extra. also the trigger is muuuch better than a typical milspec you'll get with a cheap pre built lower. not super light, but its got very little take up and a crisp break and short reset. love it. the sear surfaces are polished and i think the springs are slightly lighter than true a true milspec trigger. the safety is another big plus here. I have never given much thought to the saftey, milspec works just fine and always has. however i have now seen the light. the SI LPK lets you configure the safety in several ways, from singe 90* to ambi 60 degree, which is how im using it. the ambi levers allow you to use either thumb or trigger finger, that along with the 60* throw lets me easily put the safety back on after shooting. the stndrd 90 thumb is fine for quickly taking safety off, but not so much for putting it back on. the enlarged bolt catch is also nice.

The Optic: I could have used a cheaper RDS to keep the cost down, however i felt this was as low as i wanted to go on quality with that. I was skeptical of going to an RDS in the first place as my past experiences have been mixed. I have never owned a RDS until now, however i have shot a lot of guns with them and have seen many cheaper ones be nothing but problematic. I wasnt going to shell out the $$$ for aimpoint or something like that, so Holosun hs403b and sig romeo 5 were the two i considered. I went with the HS for 2 main reasons, the auto on/ off feature, and the 1/3 co-witness mount. So far i'm happy with it. as long as it lasts a while it will be worth the money. the features are great and the dot, while not as crisp as an aimpoint, is crisp enough.

While i haven't yet made the purchase I think im going to go with either some cheap buis from amazon, ozark armament micro buis, or some magpul mbus's.. still haven't decided on that part, waiting to see what deals i find for black friday. yes im going super cheap on the buis, but hey, i dont plan to use them much! plus, ya know, im not in combat so I wont die if they fail.

And with that the build is pretty much done, as in nothing else needs to be done, its a fully functional pistol and is set up how i want it for now. Its pretty "high speed; low drag" so to say, nothing on it that inst mission critical.. I might toy around with a small light mounted out front, but idk, I have never been a fan of Weapon mounted lights, just a me thing, i get the practical/ tactical applications ive just never wanted one on my guns... too much bulk.

anywho, thats all for now folks!

New pics incoming!
We went with the Romeo5 as that's what came in the kit, along with Magpul BUIS. Being used to the EOTech on my pistol, I'm kind of liking the Romeo5, especially the co-witness with the BUIS, It is dead on every time. I wouldn't trade my EOTech for one, but for the price, great sight.

My other pistols with RDS have the Leupold sight with the motion activated on/off. The sight on my most used gun (1911) has had the same battery for over a year and a half. Still works great.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
well I tried some cheap sights from amazon, already started the return process.

Ozark Armament micro flip up sights. seemed promising coming out of the box, solid, locked up tight, similar in design to the Troy iron sight i have for the rear of my 16" rifle. I had to tighten the screw that holds together the rear peep/ ball detent mechanism. no biggie. the real issue is that the front sight is off center enough to the left that i have to move the rear sight almost all the way over to get them lined up straight.. plus both of them are too low. now, i do have a 1/3 cowitness mount, so i expect the irons to be alittle lower than the center of the rds, however these things are practically in line with the bottom of the rds tube...

so anyways I took a gamble on some $25 sights.. hey, they had alot of good reviews.. but i cant overlook the defects/ issues i see with them.

so now, do i get the magpul mbus ($75), or the utg pro ($50). i like the utg pro are metal, and less expensive, but I just know that the mag pul sights will work and most likely wont give me any issues. I have a rear mbus but its FDE.. and I want all black on this one... bummer..

Im considering just running the Holsun.. do i HAVE to have BUIS? plus its lighter!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I know you can't put a vertical front grip on a pistol but you can use a mag well grip to keep that hand away from the muzzle. This is my deer hunting pistol because of hunting regs I can't use a .300 blk rifle to hunt on public land but I can use a pistol.
I have taken deer out to 100 yds with a perfect double lung/heart shot with this 8.5" barrel AR pistol using Hornady 110gr V-max rounds.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #78 (Edited)
So, I never got around to returning those sights and got to messing around with them at my desk.. you know they ain't half bad. So, I decided to put them on the pistol without the RDS on and they feel/ look alot better. the rds is too high due to the mount. not the sights fault. and if the rds fails ill just pop it off and run irons only anways... Im going to take them to the range and test em out. will update on that.

Couple other updates:
Ordered and installed a strike industries extended charging handle latch to the standard a2 style handle. wow what a world of difference. this one is made out of alluminium. super light, seems pretty sturdy, but best of all it doesn't chew up the upper where it retains the latch! that always bugs me!

also i ordered a new muzzle decive. Honestly its mostly for looks/ aesthetics.

its a KAK Industries Compensator. thats the name, nothing fancy what i like about it is that its no longer than the a2, which is about as short as the get without it being a single chamber brake. and it seems like it will offer less flash and some muzzle rise compensation. I wonder how much it might actually reduce the concussion being that it is almost like a closed off chamber with the holes on the top?..

anyways I have always kinda had this starwars blaster rifle idea and this Muzzle device kinda reminds me of that, along with the kak flash cans, but this one was $12 so I couldnt pass it up!

https://www.primaryarms.com/kak-industries-compensator-1-2x28-kak-comp556

I keep thinking of more changes. I wasn't crazy about the wrist angle when using the magpul handstop kit. So i took off the larger of the 2 handstops and just left the little nub and a small section cover. this is mainly there for indexing my hand and as something to push against when shooting from a platform or support.

As it's set up currently:

IMG_20191130_160645.jpg

Close up of the new CH:
IMG_20191130_160624.jpg

I really like the Strike industries stuff. its all very well designed.

IMG_20191130_162810.jpg
And the sights:
IMG_20191130_162601.jpg

IMG_20191130_162625.jpg

IMG_20191130_162635.jpg

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
latest update:
I added some more of the magpul mlok covers to the handguard. I like the texture and they dont add much bulk or weight to the weapon. the little handstop just helps me index and make sure im not too far forward on the muzzle.

mlokcovers.jpg

·
Registered
14,900 Posts
$369 for just the upper and lower, or is it a complete rifle?
also the extra pound lighter might sound nice but aluminum is already really light.

I wouldn't consider it a cheapo ar if the upper and lowers start at $369, my entire pistol build cost about the same amount.
Complete. I looked at one but passed.

Was told if you put an angled front grip it is a felony by the worker. I liked the gun but just decided I needed something else.

How accurate are these pistol AR? I've seen a bunch of videos on youtube but none show the targets! Accurate range?

(Not trying to hijack...!)

61 - 80 of 97 Posts