Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I have been shooting every weapon under the sun for over 40 years, and it was not until today that I finally broke down and added an AR-15 to my personal collection!

After asking the advice of several guys at my range who are military weapons experts...plus the folks at ar15.com I finally ordered (and got today) a Stag Left handed M1L model in 556 nato (.223).......

Whooooooooo Hooooooooooooo.....Now I'm off to buy ammo for sundays shoot!
Another AR convert has arrived!
-Bob

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
That thing looks really sweet! I'm trying to figure out how to build one that is similar, yet CA legal.

·
Registered
10,770 Posts
Looks good

You are there, man. Now for a ton of ammo. Those Home land defense rifles are like Chevy's you can do so much to them. Brownell's sells a nice reduced spring set for the trigger. Now for scopes, lights, and what ever do, keep it no matter what. Even if Hitllary wins.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah the black rifle bug bit me about two years ago. Went through a ton of bushys, DPMS, and others and finnaly settled back with an Armalite AR-180B

SW

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Awesome!! Stag makes an excellent rifle, one of the best. Got to watch out for those sinister lefties. :ugh:

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
That's a sweet piece. I'd love to be able to afford one myself, but I'll probably not have that kind of cash for at least another year or more.

What I'd like to do is build one up myself and use an LWRC upper (see my thread regarding their new platform, you may have to go back a bit to find it in the AR forum here). I just wish they made it in .308 and/or .50Beowolf, man does that .50 look Meeeeean from the business end!

Great review of that beast here.

The thing I like about the LWRC (and the new HK upper) is that they don't blow the spent gas back into the receiver, but vent it through the top of the forarm, near the front sight. Less heat in the receiver, less carbon buildup in the receiver, no carbon buildup in a non-existent gas tube, and tons more reliability. Plus, with the LWRC, you can buy it online right now for around $1300 and up, as opposed to the new HK that's $3000 if you're lucky enough to find one that someone that's military or LE handed to a dealer or pawnshop.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
thanks, it's just the upper that makes it left handed right?
Kinda looks that way, since the lower receiver still has the fire selector switch on the left and the mag release on the right. At least in the pic that he posted.

That's not a definite answer, but it seems that way. May be just the direction the spent shells are ejected. *shrug*

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i think it is, i don't want shells to get in the hood of my coat in winter(i almost had that happen with a baby eagle), so lefty will be nice

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
*nod* I had a spent casing pop straight up and land on my shoulder as the last round was fired out of my GLOCK 27 (.40S&W) a couple days ago at the range; and it just sat there in a crease. Fortunately it was Winchester Whitebox which are a little underpowered, so it wasn't that hot and it didn't burn/melt my 100% polyester over-shirt that I use for CC.:D

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually the lower is both left and right handed, in that the fire/safe selector is on both sides...though the magazine drop button is on the right side only.

I tossed up a site that shows "how to break down an ar15 for dummies" at <% TITLE %> that shows the various sections of it.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I see you opted for the 16'' barrell. May I ask why? Also, how's the accuracy of that shorter barrell.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts