close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I found a very rare pistol someone here may be interested

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Stock Doc, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

This is a Liberator pistol. I wished I didn't spread myself thin this last month or I would buy it. These are very rare and would be a essential part of any WWII collection. I thought someone may want it. http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976262147.htm Rick B

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    A tid bit of info on the Liberator

Way too much to type, but in short:
    Conceved in 1942
    Mfg. by Guide lamp division (of GM Detroit)
    In 3 months 1 million pistols were produced (one liberator every 7.5 seconds!)
    Single shot (.45 ACP) with extra cartriges packed into the butt, through a sliding trap at the base.
    The pistol was air dropped where required.
    classified a "flare projector" for security reasons, but the name Liberator later came into general use.
    :target:

3. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I think that would be a must have for the WWII collector, but isn't $1450 a bit steep? Sure seems like it to me.

4. Stock Doc

Stock Doc G&G Evangelist

I have seen 2 in my life time and know a few looking for one. I guess he can ask any price he wants since they just aren't around. I bet some kid in a foriegn country has a drawer full of them that he uses to play war with. Remember they were not in this country so they are rare. Rick B

5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Seen a write up on these about a yr or so ago. Didn't know they were worth that much, sure ain't to me!

6. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I bet you're right, they were probably the post war toy guns. You could probably bring one back into the country and no one would even think it was a gun.

7. If you buy the dam thing, do NOT fire it. I read an article about them and they are not the safest thing on the block. They were known to have a very, very hard kick. After some 60 yrs, I wouldnt trust it.

8. I have seen one here in Italy, plain barrel no grooves. Ciao Ric.

9. Mick

Mick G&G Addict

I saw a write up on these once, apparently they were used by the resistance groups, with great effect.