close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I get by with a little help from my friends....

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dale, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Need/would appreciate some help with two things:

1. I have an area 30' x 18' x 12' x 42'.........how many square feet is that?

2. I have a Mauser that shoots 1 foot high at 100 yards. Since the rear sight is down as far as it can go, any idea how much wood to 'Dremel' off the stock to bring it down to where it shoots a little low (I can always shim the sight base when it's low)?

Thanks all!

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

#1-1224 sq.ft.
    #2-Get your eyes checked or aim lower or only shoot it at 800 yds.

3. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Psst Dale,

Don't lower the river, raise the bridge!

Put the rear sight at 50% and file down the front blade, or take it out and put in a smaller one.

Or listen to Wes, your choice!

4. Dale are you looking for sq.ft--length x width or cubit ft.

5. Alan,

I was looking for square footage.

As far as the sight problem I found a site a few minutes ago that sells front blade sights for the Mauser in different heights.

Since a foot high at 100 yards is difficult to figure out the deviation the front blade replacement might be the thing. Then I can just dremel it down to where I need it.

The 'don't lower the river' idea made sense to me.

Thanks all.

6. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Dale, the front sight needs to be RAISED, not filed down. As for your other question, I would like to see this 4 dimensional space of yours. If you were trying to describe a trapezoid, it would be roughly 432 square feet, though it is not possible to get an exact figure without knowing the angles and sequence of sides. The order given would make it kind of diamond shaped.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2002
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I agree with Klaus, the front sight needs to be raised. I did this with a Finnish M39, using JB Weld. It has held up well for four years and many hundreds of rounds. It's metallic grey color goes well with worn blueing, too.
    Numrich (Gun Parts Corp.) has front sight blades in various heights. I think Brownells has these also. I think they are in increments of 1/16th inch.

8. I know the front sight needs to be raised.........but, I was thinking of the obvious...trying to lower the rear sight.

Like I mentioned that's not possible without doing some stock work.

Think I will go with one of the mail order front sights (five to a kit) put on the highest (so it shoots low) and go down from there...:hello'...that's what I posted earlier...yepper, lol.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2002