Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after much thought and an 11th hour change of heart, I got myself a AK-47.
The gun show had a few SKS's, all over $225.00, all in very used and poor condition. Mind you I was not expecting anything in really good condition, but nobody was willing to drop their prices, or make a deal.
There were two AK's, both Norinkos, one was a sporter, with a thumb hole stock $399.00, used. It looked cool, but was too short, and uncomfortable. The other was $375.00, and was in very used condition.
I almost bought an Ishtakov (spelling guessed at) SEAGA .308 used but in very good like new condition, it had 3 Magazines. It looked like an AK-47 but all black with a synthetic stock, the magazine was much larger. it was only $300.00. I had not done any resurch on it so I did not gamble on it. When I asked the vendor if this gun would preforme like an AK since it was suposed to be from an AK manufacturer, and if it was as durable and reliable as an AK-47. She told me that she did not know much about thoes rifles. I took it as a buyer-be-wear responce from a simple direct question. I was wondering if anybody knew anything about them, I think I may have passed up on a great buy.
A littel disapointed that I had not found what I was looking for I went to my trusty local gun store, and bought a New Romanian SAR-1 AK-47 it had a stamped reciver, natural wood stock. It came with a side bar scope mount, that is suposed to take any scope, I still have to buy a quick releace attachment that takes a scope. I think I got a deal at $429.00, I hope I did not pay too much, but based on the prices at the gun show on used guns I think I got wha the local/regional fair market value.
I will be on a camping trip this weekend and plan on breaking her in this weekend. I still think the SEAGA might have been a better buy. Tahnks to NRAJOE and BATTELRIFLE for all the advice. :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the website I should have gone for it, oh well next time I'll know better. But I am way happy with my AK, I got to get the wife to warm up to it. She does not understand why I need a rifle when I already have enough handguns.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
$429!??? Yowzah! I paid $350 for my SAR-1, but that was last year though. Hey, as long as your happy then don't worry about it. I put 2,800 rounds through my SAR-1 in 5 trips to the range with no malfunctions whatsoever.

Have fun with her. 7.62x39 is the true AK caliber, and a blast to shoot. :full:

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
I would never have paid that much, but I know of several dealers I can call up, places to order from, and ways to customize guns that might otherwise not be my cup of tea. If you're new to AKs, and you like this one, and live in Arizona where the population isn't as dense, that may be alright. Not sure what you drive, but gas driving to different places to shop around can add up to more than a price difference.
Hope you looked it over inside and out and made sure it was in good shape.
Congrats on getting what you wanted!

Oh and yeah, I'd probably have picked up the Saiga 308, but that's cause I like that round. There are no hi-caps out there for them, and ammo is half again as expensive, and not as easy to find as 7.62x39mm.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard to get a deal here

I realize I probibly paied too much for my AK-47. But I live out in Yuma, AZ. I am originally from the Peoples Republic of New York, Syracuse to be exact. I have been here in Yuma, for 6 years. There are only two gun stores here in town, and the gun shows we have here in Yuma usually do not have a large number of venders. Tucson, and Phoenix, are quite a drive away.
It is one of the prices you have to pay for being in such a small rural town, everything is expencive here or at least more expencive than in the "Big City".

Talking to people here and at work I think I got a good deal for a new rifle here in Yuma. I think that in order to save money it really would not be worth the drive to save the extra $70 cost in time and money for gas would eat up the savings. Unless we made the trip for more than one purchace.

All that said we just got back from a 3 day camping trip. I must say even at the "high price" I paied my AK-47 it rocks. It was worth every penny. I went through 100 rounds as fast as I could. My wife even emptied a 20 round magazine. She loved it too. Of course she was comparing it to our 12 guage shot gun. She said it was so much easer to shoot, much more comfortable.
We kinda went camping late in the season, it was too hot outside, we ran out of water, Ice, and firewood. We had to come back a day earlier than we planned.

Like I said I went through my ammo too fast, 100 rounds did not last long. The rifle came with a 10 round "hunting mag", and a 30 round mag. I also bought a 20 round mag. I got sunburned pretty bad, on my arms and legs too.

The rifle was smooth and almost no recoile, it rivaled M-4's, and M-16's I have fired. I thought that the magazines were a littel clumsey, they were difficult to take in and out quickly, and the magazine release was a littel stiff. It did not help that it was over 95 degrees in the direct sun. It made the rifle difficult to handel without getting burned, the hot sun heated up the black metel quickly even hotter after I fired some rounds. I found myself covering the rifle in a blanket as I walked down range to check my target it was so hot.

I thought the sights were a littel difficult to line up. I felt as if I had to twist the rifle too far to make carfully aimed shots comfortable. But the rifle was accurate, at least as good as I will be able to shoot. I hit what I was aming at. And it is really fun to shoot.

After shooting the AK I am glad I did not get the .308 ammo would have been way too expensive.

I need to take it to a proper range one with overhead shade, to get out of the sun, or wait until fall when the teps drop. As far as all the AK-47 hype goes; I get it now; I feel I have arrived. :assult: :assult:

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
Amen brother...welcome the the Chuch of the perpetual AK...Can I get an AMEN? :full: :right:

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
Sounds like you have a rifle you like! Better to pay a bit for one you like than to pay less but not be happy with it. If you ever want to upgrade the trigger, Tapco sells a US made trigger group that is the nicest I've ever used.

Mag changes for AK aren't as easy as the insert and dropping of AR mags. Since I got an AK before AR, I got used to it. I'm thinking of making some sort of mutant AR/AK some day.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
the sights aren't straight

which has kept me from buying one, can't see paying for something then have to pay to get it fixed!!!

don't understand why Sergi/Pablo make them like that, but then again who am i to complain:mad:

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
brg I just caught your reply, do you know where I can get a trigger assembly for the sks, one thats assembled, and not a bag of springs, I know this is the wrong forum for this, man that yugo trigger is horrible

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Originally posted by 7mmag6
brg I just caught your reply, do you know where I can get a trigger assembly for the sks, one thats assembled, and not a bag of springs, I know this is the wrong forum for this, man that yugo trigger is horrible
whats horrible about it 7mmMag???

·
Registered
11,913 Posts
If the trigger is horrible, it may be a better idea to have it tuned than to buy another trigger group. Might end up with one just as bad.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Thank you joe, my yugo trigger group is a piece of crap, now all I need is time to go through it, thanks joe, and I might add for azguy, use the 10 round mags, im sure ill come under some heat from this, loading is half the fun, those 20,30 and 40 round mags burn ammo like crazy, the 10 round mag will help you with concentration to aim well, and those 20,30 40, round mags are darn heavy, with a 10 round mag the balence is perfect

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I looked around and 30 round Mags seam to be the standard, myself I prefer the 20 round mag, you don't end up with halph empty boxes of ammo, as with a 10 or 30 round mag. I have found that you do indead tend to shoot at a much slower rate with a 10 round mag than with a larger capacity magazine. I will try to pick up a few more mags at the next gun show, they seam to be cheep and in large supply.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,193 Posts
I lucked out and got 4 unissued Hungarian "tanker" 20 round mags off of gunbroker. Wish I had bought more....tryed to find the unissued in the wrapper again and I can't find them now....just the issued vgd conditions. Mine are pristine, but I use 'em anyways.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts