Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a very special day. I got to shoot my first 44 mag, and my first 308 win (Socom 16 -> the shoulder is red and my arm won't move :)), and my first AR-15 (a superb DD chambered in 5.56).

The 44 mag I used was a Magnum Research BFR (5 inches) and... I hated the f'ing thing. I hated it even more because the range where I went (to lend it from) had me buy a full box of 44 Mag to try it out, and believe you me I didn't shoot the whole dang thing!

Anyhow, what I didn't like about the BFR:

- the 'fixed' cylinder is a weird mechanism. I've seen it in much older firearms, but the reloading and ammo ejection process is a bit of a downer in terms of practicality.
- the recoil is big but acceptable, and certainly not as painful as the one I got from the 308 / Socom (even though recoil from a handgun and recoil from a rifle can't be compared).
- overall, it wasn't a fun experience as compared to shooting a 357 mag with a S&W 686 which is a lot (a lot) easier.

But I gotta have a 44 Mag in my collection. There are countless lists and videos on the internet, including my favorite one from Hickok45 who's a big fan of the S&W 29 (though I read a lot more bad than good about it). What I'd like is if you folks could share your experience with your 44 Mag revolver so I can have a different flavor than what we usually can see / read out there. Thanks in advance.

PS. I'll probably want no longer than 6 inches barrel.

·
God, Guns, Glory
35,630 Posts
I prefer my Ruger .44 Redhawks, or my .44 Blackhawks.
Another good round is the .41 mag.

If you run out of ammo.
You can still beat the critter to death, with the toughness of the Redhawk... ;)

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
I prefer my Ruger .44 Redhawks, or my .44 Blackhawks.
Another good round is the .41 mag.

If you run out of ammo.
You can still beat the critter to death, with the toughness of the Redhawk... ;)
Bingo! Toughness proven by countless Alaskans in some of the worst conditions.

·
Premium Member
25,661 Posts
the 'fixed' cylinder is a weird mechanism
If you don't like loading and unloading through a loading gate that eliminates all of the single action revolvers probably. As you mentioned S&W has some double action revolvers, Ruger has the Redhawk and Super Redhawk, and Taurus has some DA 44 Magnums. The Ruger offers a lot of bang for the buck. (I don't own one anymore) Taurus has reportedly gotten a lot better quality and customer service the last few years, and golly bum, S&W has been peddling those highly rated 44 magnum handguns for a very long time.

·
Banned
744 Posts
I got an nice Model 29 from the 1960's. It's very accurate as a 44 Special. That's how it is for me.

For shooting all 44 Magnum loads it's my Super Blackhawk or Vaquero. Built like tanks. Most of the goofed up Ruger Single actions I have seen have been tuned by Bubba. I like N frame Smith's but go for Ruger for long term heavy duty shooting. I don't have any problem with a loading gate!

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Today was a very special day. I got to shoot my first 44 mag, and my first 308 win (Socom 16 -> the shoulder is red and my arm won't move :)), and my first AR-15 (a superb DD chambered in 5.56).

The 44 mag I used was a Magnum Research BFR (5 inches) and... I hated the f'ing thing. I hated it even more because the range where I went (to lend it from) had me buy a full box of 44 Mag to try it out, and believe you me I didn't shoot the whole dang thing!

Anyhow, what I didn't like about the BFR:

- the 'fixed' cylinder is a weird mechanism. I've seen it in much older firearms, but the reloading and ammo ejection process is a bit of a downer in terms of practicality.
- the recoil is big but acceptable, and certainly not as painful as the one I got from the 308 / Socom (even though recoil from a handgun and recoil from a rifle can't be compared).
- overall, it wasn't a fun experience as compared to shooting a 357 mag with a S&W 686 which is a lot (a lot) easier.

But I gotta have a 44 Mag in my collection. There are countless lists and videos on the internet, including my favorite one from Hickok45 who's a big fan of the S&W 29 (though I read a lot more bad than good about it). What I'd like is if you folks could share your experience with your 44 Mag revolver so I can have a different flavor than what we usually can see / read out there. Thanks in advance.

PS. I'll probably want no longer than 6 inches barrel.

I had the .44 Fever that could only be cured by either a S&W classic DX (with the full underlug) or a Ruger Redhawk.
So about 12 years ago I found a stainless 5.5 inch Redhawk at a LGS. My best friend did an action tune, I put on some Pachmayr Presentation grips and now it's one of my favorite revolvers.
Good action, the balance is good enough to shoot one-handed, and it's strong enough to handle any factory magnum load.
They come with these grips, which look pretty, but aren't your friend when you're shooting the heavy stuff. If you opt for the super Redhawk with the massively thick frame the balance will not be as good as that sounds more important to you judging by your critique of the BFR

With a good belt and holster, this can be hip-worn in the field with little discomfort. The revolvers like the BFR, Super Redhawk, S&W X-frames, not so much.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,137 Posts
The single action Rugers are robust and a good value. As noted, if you dont like single action loading and unloading, possibly look at a Red Hawk. That said, these are primarily hunting handguns, silllouhette shooting at the range and casual fun generaotrs. If loading is that critical get the Redhawk (my first choice) or any of the other fine, factory supported specimens, and you will be well served. Honestly, I have really never heard of anyone personally wearing out a .44 mag with normal use and good maintenance. You would most likely be pretty skinny, going broke buyng ammo instead of food.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
The single action Rugers are robust and a good value. As noted, if you dont like single action loading and unloading, possibly look at a Red Hawk. That said, these are primarily hunting handguns, silllouhette shooting at the range and casual fun generaotrs. If loading is that critical get the Redhawk (my first choice) or any of the other fine, factory supported specimens, and you will be well served. Honestly, I have really never heard of anyone personally wearing out a .44 mag with normal use and good maintenance. You would most likely be pretty skinny, going broe buyng ammo instead of food.

Yup, worse than any drug habit

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,921 Posts
I have always been partial to the Ruger Super Blackhawk.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I have a S&W 629-1 S/S and wouldn't take a golden goose for it. It shoots true, and isn't hard to control. I mostly shoot my .44 Special hand loads out of it, but also fire the .44 mag rounds I hand load. Both my sons like it too. I got'ta pat'em down before leavin' the range to make sure it winds up in MY truck for the ride home.

That's it in my photo to the left.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts