Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a colt BP revolver at the gun show a couple weeks ago. It's brand new in the box and still has the old grease on it. I was taking it apart and realized that my wedge won't go all the way thru the base pin. I have a small hard plastic hammer so I drove the wedge all the way in as it should be. This locked up my cylinder though. Now when I remove the cylinder, it goes in the base pin fine and thru the barrel slot fine. Anyone have some suggestions what the problem might be? Am I going to have to file it down inside. I can see the wedge trying to go in crooked after I insert it but no way of making it go straight in. Thanks for any help!
Bobby

Reactions: Jaison

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I could have that in hand buddy.
Any idea what you would look for? I'm gonna look a little closer at the sides of wedge to to see if there are any marks where I forced it thru. I forgot to look after I took it back out. Maybe it will give me an indication of where it's binding up.

Reactions: jerry

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
When ever you need a hammer to work on a revolver, STOP and look at it and think about it an hour or two. If you still need the hammer, stop and put it away and don't get it out for a week. If you still need the hammer, STOP and take it to a good gun smith.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does yours have the wedge with the little retainer spring or the slab side one without the spring?
Just the wedge and the little secure screw in the side of the barrel.

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yea I did, I don't really have to on my other revolver. Just loosen it and it will slide out. I tried wedging this in with screw and without screw. It's not catching on the screw. I tried to get a couple micro pics. The first pic shows where the edged of the base pin is in the slot and doesn't seem to be going out far enough. The second pic shows the other end where it looks like the wedge is hitting on the barrel. I'm thinking the slot in the base pin was cut a little off?

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,525 Posts
Any idea what you would look for? I'm gonna look a little closer at the sides of wedge to to see if there are any marks where I forced it thru. I forgot to look after I took it back out. Maybe it will give me an indication of where it's binding up.
I’m a bit stuck, I’m a Remington guy. The pics you posted a bit later on were well done. I will say I wouldn’t be too afraid to file on a wedge but not the gun.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m a bit stuck, I’m a Remington guy. The pics you posted a bit later on were well done. I will say I wouldn’t be too afraid to file on a wedge but not the gun.
Yea I'm kind of leaning towards a little file job on the wedge. I don't think it would hurt anything as long as it ends up with a snug fit.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
i think the wedge is going in too deep.
it really should be flush so the screw is snugging it in place.
maybe i'm seeing the pic's wrong?
or maybe the wedge is incorrect?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think the wedge is going in too deep.
it really should be flush so the screw is snugging it in place.
maybe i'm seeing the pic's wrong?
or maybe the wedge is incorrect?
Actually the wedge does not go in far enough. This is pushed in as far as I can by hand. As you can see, it begins to slide in cockeyed. This thing should stick out the other side by at least 1/8" to a 1/4".

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One final question. What position do you have your hammer in as you are fitting the wedge?
Believe me, I have tried it half-cocked, fully cocked and even took the cylinder out and tried it. No go. It's hitting on the base pin on the left side and making it go in a little crooked to the right making it hit on the barrel.

·
Premium Member
24,364 Posts
Well doggone, that makes me wonder if that wedge was fitted to another revolver...
Good advice though to get another one and then do some filing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I appreciate the responses. I think I will try to call Colt monday and see what they can do or suggest what I can do.

·
Premium Member
24,364 Posts
I appreciate the responses. I think I will try to call Colt monday and see what they can do or suggest what I can do.
You might look here too Bobby.
They have a few parts for originals and reproduction firearms also.
Of course in these uncertain times, shipping might not be very timely...

Colt Handguns

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You might look here too Bobby.
They have a few parts for originals and reproduction firearms also.
Of course in these uncertain times, shipping might not be very timely...

Colt Handguns
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts