I have to rant about my Kimber...

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by Darkfront, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Darkfront

Darkfront G&G Evangelist

I have a year old Kimber Custom II, and all I can say is, #%*!$*!!! I would and wouldn't recommend this pistol to people who are tinkerers or used to working on 1911s.

During detail stripping, cleaning and some minor upgrades I've already found three pretty big flaws for me:

-Mainspring housing is plastic, and cracked. (Replaced with steel)
    -Grip bushings have not been staked and came out with the grip and grip screws. I had to ruin one to replace the grips, so now waiting on new Ed Brown bushings.
    -Plunger tube not staked. In high volume shooting, I'm just waiting for this to come loose. I'll probably stake it now just to be safe.

After seeing this lack of attention to detail, I'm just waiting for the Firing Pin Safety to fail somehow...

These are very simple things to remedy, and this should never have left the factory like this. For a recreational shooter who shoots maybe a thousand rounds a year, I would say it's OK. But if you beat this thing up in matches or any sort of defensive training class, it's only a matter of time before it shakes itself apart on you.

2. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Sounds like a simple solution to me, sell it and get something you can enjoy.

None of these issues are exclusive to Kimber, I have seen them pop up in just about every other brand of 1911, it is not a design that is very forgiving to mistakes in manufacturing.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010

3. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

lol No doubt

4. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    About 3k through my customII no issues. I'll be able to draw a better conclusion when I have 10k like I did on my Norinco when I sold it for a profit after 10 yrs.

5. Midas

Call me impractical, but I have always been of the opinion that if a gun isn't what you want, then there is no need to keep it around, put it towards something you DO want!!!

6. Darkfront

Darkfront G&G Evangelist

I definitely thought about it, but since this is my first 1911, I think I'm gonna keep it around so that I can learn from this and get comfortable with gunsmithing and not worry about screwing up something nice down the road.

7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

nooooooo...........say it ain't so a high priced name firearm is a POS, what is this world coming to:lew:

8. Midas

Sounds like a plan, at least you know better for future purchases.

9. AOM1Carbine

AOM1Carbine G&G Newbie

It could always just be a Friday afternoon special most consumer products have these flaws...is there a lemon law for guns?

10. Hog Red

Hog Red G&G Addict

NW AR
    you can always trade it in for 4 or 5 RIA's

11. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I have three kimbers and all of them have had no issues at all. I enjoy each one. I do agree on the mainspring housing needing to be replaced with a metal one. Unless you are buying a high dollar custom pistol I think you will see the troubles of mass production.

12. hack1911

hack1911 G&G Newbie

KY
    Well, this isn't exactly unprecedented, and it sounds like you've put quite a few rounds through this gun. Not that that's an excuse, but wear and tear does take a toll with all guns eventually. Kimber cranks out a lot of 1911s, some bad ones are bound to slip through now and again.

I will say the plastic MSH was a cheap cost cutting idea from Kimber, plastic has no place on a 1911, that thing was bound to crack eventually if you shoot a lot. But even the semi-customs like Baer, Wilson, Brown and Nighthawk aren't immune to having problems either.

However, if I shot as much as you do, I'd look to upgrade to a Baer, or another semi-custom, if I could afford it. Even after 10,000 rounds a Baer will be a tighter gun than anything Kimber makes. Heck, I've seen nice used Baers on GunBroker for around $1100, if you wanted to go that route.

13. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I had a Kimber Custom II as well. I got rid of it due to reliability problems, bought a .45ACP Sig P220 and never looked back.

14. Darkfront

Darkfront G&G Evangelist

Yeah, my next 1911 will be one of the higher end ones, or I may just take a good base like a Springfield MC Operator and tune it the way I like it. I definitely appreciate the craftsmanship of the high end guns like Nighthawk and Wilson, but that grade of 1911s seem to have their own particular quirks as well, having to do with the high tolerances and features that detract from Browning's designs like bushingless barrels.

15. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Darn it, guess I gotta sell mine

16. I have two of them. One is a Kimber Classic and the other is a Pro-Carry. I remember hearing that about three years after I bought the Pro-Carry that the new micros and compacts were not the same anymore. A few guys I knew that bought the later model Kimbers were really sorry they had.
    Something changed between when I bought my two and a few years after that. I'm clueless as to what it might be but I'm sure not buying one of the newer models.
    Both of mine have never had a failure of any kind. Sorry about yours. It really sucks to trust a name and find its hollow.

Latigo

17. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

This is why I like Taurus 1911's It was cheap (traded a Norinco SKS for it) I did not have great expectations from it and It far exceeded those expectations.

18. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

They had gone from internal extractors to external ones, they were horrible and so they switched back. The CEO Ron Cohen, who arguably ran that companies reputation into the ground with the new Kimber handguns with his slash and burn cost cutting ideas (outsourcing parts, metal injection molding etc,) left Kimber and is now working for SIG :crazy:.

And whats happened over there? Sig is now moving to be a
    rifle company and many people complain that there product is not like it used to be, although not nearly as bad as with Kimber.,, yet thank God.

19. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

Ok so my question is this can be seen on many different manfactuers 1911's... Is this an issue with the cheaper models?

The Custom II is like the cheapest Kimber model made. But by all means isn't "CHEAP".

Would you see this on say a Custom Carry II? Or A Kimber SIS? And if so why do they use these parts on higher end guns when better parts are available? Obviously a cost factor but when your talking about a $1k gun plus price is kind of not an issue for a few parts that probably cost less then $60 a pop.

20. hack1911

hack1911 G&G Newbie

KY
    When I bought my first semi-custom, I never looked at another production 1911 again. A gun like a Baer is certainly tight, but to me that means craftmanship. There's a notion among many many people that tight guns can be finicky, but that simply isn't true, semi-customs are among the most reliable 1911s out there.

I agree with you on bushingless barrels, those just don't belong on a 1911. But all the manufacturers above mentioned offer conventional designs. In fact, I don't think Baer even makes a bushingless gun.