Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a .357 accumulator (of course, it uses .38 Special as well). I have kept these two .38 Special revolvers as they are the first two I bought as a teenager. They went to college with me as well as moving a dozen times in my 20's. I had to mow a lot of yards to pay for them. I have the receipt on one and lost both boxes.

Colt Detective Special 2" (shipped 1974):
Revolver Gun accessory Metal Fashion accessory Gun barrel

Smith & Wesson Model 10-5 4" (shipped 6-19-1973):
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

----
Anyone else with your first?

· Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
..My first was a S&W Model 15..
I had several S&W Model 15 revolvers (aka, K-38 Combat Masterpiece) in the past. It was like the Model 10 (K-frame, walnut stocks) but with great adjustable sights. I remember the blue finish was better as well. You shoulda kept it. ;)

· Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, but those guns are all over the internet with lower prices. My two old guns that I have had for ~50 years are worth a lot more to me than anyone else.

I also have a Winchester Model 74 23" that has been in the family since new. It was made in 1942 (a rare pre-WW2 rifle). Dad says his brother got it from him, and his brother says it was always his rifle. I own it today, and it works better than well. ;)

Wood Shotgun Air gun Gun accessory Trigger

Wood Bumper Tool Plant Metal

The guns in the old days before I was born are just made well.

· Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My eyes are also not as good. I still wouldn't modify those older revolvers I have two 1973 S&W Model 19-3 P&R (pinned and recessed) that already have the new visual sights.They get good bids.

Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Air gun

From here:
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

It's still a P&R S&W Model K-frame that includes a numbered-to-gun 6" Bowie knife.

The early guns have a darker finish on the stocks.

· Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the K-frame Model 19 is a Combat Magnum. It hits hard with a .357 Magnum or a .38 Special.

I am not sure about you, but I've kept good records on prices paid from the last ~25 Years. It's a hobby only. I may trade up for a more better revolver but that's it.

I sure remember my mistakes. I got all upside down on a Model 19 from 1960. I lost $450 on one revolver. I was in the fog of bad decisions. My bad.

· Registered
434 Posts
Me too Vintage! Been there myself. Lookin for that perfect one handgun like an azzhole. LOL Made a couple mistakes with the 19 and 39 S&Ws. Ended up finally with a CS-9 from 1999 and it is staying here. Did a much better job with long guns at least. Held onto the good ole walnut and glossy blue Remingtons.

· Registered
4,486 Posts
I am a .357 accumulator (of course, it uses .38 Special as well). I have kept these two .38 Special revolvers as they are the first two I bought as a teenager. They went to college with me as well as moving a dozen times in my 20's. I had to mow a lot of yards to pay for them. I have the receipt on one and lost both boxes.

Colt Detective Special 2" (shipped 1974):
View attachment 181777

Smith & Wesson Model 10-5 4" (shipped 6-19-1973):
View attachment 181778

----
Anyone else with your first?
I have one exactly like the bottom one, except it has rubberized grips, and is a vintage, (1937, I believe) ex-policemans service revolver. :)

Reactions: neophyte

· Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...I have one exactly like the bottom one, except it has rubberized grips, and is a vintage, (1937, I believe) ex-policemans service revolver. :)
I don't remember an older Smith and Wesson with rubber stocks. Many people would swap the factory walnut stocks for rubber stocks and leave the walnut at the store. I would go into old gun stores and buy the wood ones. You can't find them these days without paying a healthy price.

The 1915-1942 revolvers were called .38 Military & Police Model of 1905, 4th Change. It was a double-action built on the K-frame with 5 outside screws (one behind the stocks) with a 6-shot fluted cylinder. The factory reports that 758,296 were made. Barrel lengths were 2", 4", 5", and 6".

After WW2 they were called the .38 Military & Police (or a pre-10). In 1957 Smith and Wesson went to Model numbers so it was a Model 10.

· Premium Member
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do have my first handgun, from the 80's, a 1985 Colt. I've changed a couple bits and bobs but still mostly the same as when I got it.

View attachment 182002
Very nice. I still have a Colt 1991A1, a Gold Cup Trophy, a GCNM, a Colt Tier III, and a Series 70 (reproduction) that I bought new. My GCT is my daily carry.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Here's the Series 70 (stock) which is hard to find as the gun is easy to modify. It's a 2011 "100 Year".
Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory Everyday carry

We do like the same stuff.

· Global Warming Enthusiast
4,342 Posts
Very nice VR! Well I do have a couple Colts... :p

Check this one out, the 1917 (I think) re-issue, but check out the mistake the factory made. They put Gold Cup medallion grips on it. I always thought the mistake was kind of cool... I have the correct grips for it but I never changed them out. They are beautiful pistols, do you think they had this level of bluing in those years?

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Revolver

Brown Font Publication Material property Tints and shades

1 - 20 of 21 Posts