close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

I haven't shot IDPA

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Firemedic, Mar 16, 2002.

1. but think I might like to. I need to get better with my new Kimber first.

2. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

New to IDPA...

A great choice... Kimber is on the cutting edge in IDPA...:cool:

3. Tinman

Tinman G&G Newbie

What about a Glock 23 or a Sig. 225? What seems to be the most used weapon, and why?
    thanks
    Tinman
    :D

4. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Sig 225

I have a Sig 225. Insanely accurate with +p 9mm. Cor-bon 115gr. +p is in a class by itself w/ this pistol. I can see why it shines in IDPA because when the trigger is replaced with Sig's short trigger it gives the best trigger pull on a double action I've ever experienced. Ergonomics are great too; if you shoot finger forward (like me), the squared triggerguard acts as a lever... helping recoil control, (not that the 9mm really has that much). I have friends that shoot the H&K P7 and swear by it's accuracy, but I dare say that the Sig 225 will hold it's own against any compact 9mm, (and for a LOT less money than the P7). The trick on the Sig 225 is finding one. Parts abound, but Sig stopped importation two years ago. Mags are reasonably priced used but high when bought from Sig as new. The new Sig 239 looks promising, But I haven't shot one yet...

Jesse

5. Brian Lavin

Brian Lavin G&G Newbie

SoCal
    IDPA is a lot of fun and a great way to hone your skills as well.
    I've been using a CZ 75B (9mm), for the last few matches. When I get a little more comfortable with my SA "Loaded", I'll give that a try in the game. I've only had it for a couple weeks, still "breaking in", but looks to be a great pistol.

6. JCB2001

JCB2001 G&G Newbie

Hey guys,

I would like to know more about IDPA too. Would a Beretta 92F
    be ok to use? IF I buy any more guns my wife might start using me for target practice. lol

Thanks

7. Brian Lavin

Brian Lavin G&G Newbie

SoCal
    One of the things I like about IDPA is that it is not so equipment driven as some of the other pistol games, your Beretta will fit in just fine. There are several different categories you can fit into with different guns. I'm doing it for fun, camraderie and to improve my shooting ability. I doubt that I'll ever go beyond the local level of competition, just don't want to devote that much time, when there are a number of other things I like to do as well.
    I did purchase a couple of nice holsters for competiton, but I don't think I'm gonna be modifing my pistols all that much, beyond nice grips etc, both of my IDPA type guns are already very reliable.

8. DogmaDog

DogmaDog G&G Newbie

Starting in IDPA

Gents,

I'd say go shoot IDPA sooner rather than later! There probably is no better test of gun handling skills. You will learn a lot, meet knowledgeable shooters, and get better faster than if you just practice at the range by yourself.

Take whatever gun you have now! A Beretta 92 is fine. A Kimber .45 is fine. A Sig is fine. I've been shooting my Kahr P-9 lately, instead of my Kimber. The Kahr is tiny, and I probably don't do as well as with the Kimber, but I carry the Kahr, and shooting it in IDPA has increased my confidence that I can use the gun effectively when it's "for real". It hasn't put me at too much disadvantage.

That said, at an IDPA match this weekend, I saw a lot of people shoot fast at the expense of accuracy...lots of misses. Practice marksmanship fundamentals at the range in addition to IDPA matches. Get some slow fire time, and take well-aimed shots at longer ranges.

I think the most popular gun in IDPA, at least at the club level matches I've shot, is a 1911 in .45. I think this is mostly because that has been the competition platform for IPSC and National Match/Bullseye competition, and it's being carried over. I've seen Glocks, H&Ks, and S&W revolvers as well.

Anyway, welcome to the sport! I'm sure you'll have a blast.

-DogmaDog

9. JCB2001

JCB2001 G&G Newbie

Can you use a smaller gun. I now have a glock 26 for carry and like Dogma I would like to get very good with it

10. Brian Lavin

Brian Lavin G&G Newbie

SoCal
    The minimum caliber for IDPA is 9mm, so if a 26 is that (not knowledgeable about Glock model #s) or larger, you're in.
    Lots of folks use 9mm, as it's easier to get back on target AND it's a heckuva lot less expensive to shoot.