Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all I need is a firing pin but I hear ammo is tough to come by. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
Well they don't sell it at wally mart.....

If the rifle is in good condition buy a firing pin and shoot it a couple of times a years just for fun. Ammo is made for it but its a specialty find which means hard to find and expensive.

Here's a couple of places to get started looking; shop around some more and check out gun shows and look for japanese gun clubs and reenactors they'll have a line or make their own also.

http://www.ammodirect.com/product d...mmunition/7.7 japanese arisaka ammunition.htm

http://ableammo.com/catalog/product...71949&osCsid=49bb24d0421298dabbdcf9d34e96a0c8

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,195 Posts
depends on what you mean by inherited. If you won in a poker game probably no biggie. If someone left it, it would have some sentimental value, to me anyway. Any gun in the collection is a cool gun to me.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,972 Posts
Do some research on it - date of production and such. Some late WWII rifles may be of lower quality. My buddy has an earlier Type99 that is quite nice. He reloads, so ammo isn't a biggie. Brass is available and it uses the same bullets as the .303 Brit and 7.62X54R Russian.
He just got his Type 38 in 6.5mm, so he's building a Japanese collection.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
bheiser said:
all I need is a firing pin but I hear ammo is tough to come by. Any thoughts?
cousin has one that is beautiful with perfect cresanthenum. Is yours crossed out? Best we found on rounds is 1.75 per round

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my cresantheum is stamped out. The firing pin was filled down. i think i will just restore it and hang it

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,322 Posts
I found a beauty at a local pawn shop...dang near perfect condition...mum intact...$189 but I think it is a last ditch, but it had a metal buttplate...thought last ditches had wood buttplates?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
my father brought one back from okinawa. it still has the crest but its not in any condition to fire, Its my rembrence of my dad

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
B, I'm not sure but you might check with www.grafs.com Hornady is producing a lot of oddball military calibers but I don't know if the 7.7 is one of them. If that doesn't work try Ron Reed (jarcp on G&G) @ www.reedsammo.com he custom loads ammo and is a really good guy. Tim

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
B, just checked the Grafs site, here ya go-
http://www.grafs.com/ammo/product/6064 . As long as you don't have a "last-ditch" gun,and as long as the gun is in good cond, (see gunsmith), it would make a good shooter-they are solidly built and some show pretty exceptional accuracy.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yet more useless information for you, the Japanese filed off the mum in order to "save face" when they eventually surrendered. One with the mum intact are generally "battlefield pick-ups". To answer your question NRAJOE, the "last ditch" rifles did have wooden butt plates, poorly made, and a lack of arsenal stamps or proofs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In addition the last ditch, (if I understand it right) do not have the mono pod, nor the aerial combat sights…but I am definitely no expert of this model rifle, I only have the information I recently read and can recall in my little cranium.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
yea these things are not my cup of tea and generally not intrested in them the guy that knows them really well is dana

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
There ios a local estate auction coming up next Saturday, with 2, "Type 99 Japanese, 6.62mm, military WWII combat rifles" listed. I may check'em out.

I had a 6.5 Arisaka, in the past, but the chamber was so worn, that I could only use a peice of brass for one firing. It bulged badly out of round, just above the base.

I took it to a local gun shop, and they sold it on consignment for me. At least I got my $$ back.

Nick

1 - 20 of 33 Posts