Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I JUST BOUGHT A SAVAGE MODEL 170 30-30 IN LIKE NEW CONDITION FROM MY WIFES GIRLFRIEND. HER FATHER JUST PASSED AND SHE WAS SELLING SOME OF THE THINGS SHE DIDN'T WANT TO KEEP AND I GOT THE RIFLE FOR 100.00 DOLLARS. I BOUGHT IT BECAUSE I HAD NEVER SEEN ONE BEFORE AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT IT. I TRIED TO RUN THE SERIAL NUMBERS TO SEE WHEN IT WAS MADE BUT CAME UP WITH NOTHING. FOR WHAT I PAID FOR IT I KNOW I DIDN'T GET RIPPED OFF IT HAS A 4X9 TASCO SCOPE THAT LOOKS LIKE NEW AND A SLING. I SHOT IT FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS WEEKEND AND AT 100 YARDS WAS HITTING AN INCH FROM A MILK CAP. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY COULD TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT IT. THANK YOU IF YOU COULD.

·
Registered
16,485 Posts
First off, welcome to G&G. I'm sure someone will be able to assist you. I however know very little of the one you have. Again, glad you found the site. Trust me, you will find it informative and the members very helpful.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
I have known a couple of people who had this gun and were pleased with it. From my observations they seem to be good guns with pretty respectable accuracy for a hunting gun. There are some that have feeding problems but from the two I know who have them one in 30-30 and the other in 35 rem, they have never failed to feed or fire. For what you paid for it I am confident you got a great deal on a good gun! Contrats and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm sure Mad Dog will be in on this one. He has owned both a 30-30 and a 35 Rem. He had problems with the 30-30 feeding that he couldn't resolve but like it well enough to try the 35 Rem which I understand he has had no feeding issues with, I'm sure he will be here to shed some wisdom.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
You wanna sell it you lucky feller !!! That is the pump action isn't it or is it the bolt action ?
819 RedHourse don't run off,hang around and enjoy the site and WELCOME to GUN and GAME...A.H

·
Registered
377 Posts
Redhorse, as Trix said, I have had both calibers and still own the 35 Rem. My opinion on why some of the 30-30's jam is cause Savage never made the lifter properly and the rimmed case on the 30-30 hangs up on the edges and jams. I found that if you really rack the pump hard it doesn't jam as much as it would if you be gentle with it.

Gimme a partial of your serial number including the letter it begins with and I'll tell you when it was made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts