Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a 12 gauge Remington 870 18" barrel (pump) which works well. I bought it NIB in 2012.
Rem870.jpg
Rem870a.jpg

I need a nice 20 gauge shotgun with a ~18" barrel. I see lots of them FS around here in the private market. I like the pump but should I get a A-5 (like a John Browning-designed 5 shell semi automatic)?

·
Premium Member
23,946 Posts
My preference would be for the A-5. But in the current marketplace the decision might be made based on what you can find at the price point that you're willing to pay.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Just read an article on the new Mossberg 590A1 M-Lok in the new Shooting Times. Sounds pretty tough with non binding twin action bars and anti jam elevator. Comes with an 18 1/2 barrel and accepts 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. Forearm is slotted for attachments like lights.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,062 Posts
I have a Mossberg Cruiser 20 gauge; it has a foldable stock and seems to fit the bill (18 inch barrel; cylinder bore). The mossy pumps are some of my favorites.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,062 Posts
I keep this Savage M320 in my bedroom closet just in case. I also have used it with slugs for deer hunting and and shot a few varmints with it. Its 20 gauge and cant beat them for the money. Also very small and light.

Think I got the same one (like really cheap on sale) but in 12 gauge; it was marketed as a savage but I think was made by Sun in China. It has ghost rings with a hi-viz front sight ? (I wound up putting a collapsable M4 like stock on it because the existing one was a little too long for my tastes).

·
Registered
893 Posts
Depends on your planned use. With the 18 inch tube I assume it is for defense. I am not a fan of 20s so much but have 2, a double with 18 inch tubes and rem 1100, 28 inch.

I actually pulled my little short double out twice over the years in defense and both situations were resolved when the bad guys got a look at my double.

Today, I would buy a semi auto because they are much more reliable. As a cop I carried pump shotguns, but today, I would prefer the semi auto, the ability for those fast follow up shots without having to rack the slide.

FWIW

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to the internet, the Stevens Model 320 is made by well known Westfield, Massachusetts based firearms manufacturer Savage Arms, but unlike Savage firearms, the Stevens shotguns are made in the People's Republic of China.

It is the Stevens guns that I would never buy.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...Depends on your planned use. With the 18 inch tube I assume it is for defense. I am not a fan of 20s so much but have 2, a double with 18 inch tubes and rem 1100, 28 inch.

I actually pulled my little short double out twice over the years in defense and both situations were resolved when the bad guys got a look at my double.

Today, I would buy a semi auto because they are much more reliable. As a cop I carried pump shotguns, but today, I would prefer the semi auto, the ability for those fast follow up shots without having to rack the slide.
Great tech and thanks.

My range allows practice with slugs and 00 Buck shot so I can make it work well.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,062 Posts
According to the internet, the Stevens Model 320 is made by well known Westfield, Massachusetts based firearms manufacturer Savage Arms, but unlike Savage firearms, the Stevens shotguns are made in the People's Republic of China.

It is the Stevens guns that I would never buy.
Meh....Mine's a 12 and it's done quite well with quite a bit of ammo through it; I remember getting it really cheap and it had the ghost ring (albeit plastic) sights. It was crazy cheap; like a hundred and eighty bucks all in. And it's been through the ringer in western PA; running and gunning in all kinds of weather in my backyard range. And beat up walking through the woods. It's still ticking.

I did have to crank the rear sight quite a bit left for slugs but that's a minor thing.

The ONLY issue for me is it's a Winchester style so unlocks as soon as you squeeze the trigger. If you're not used to it it can be short or double stroked, but I suspect any shotgun that does this had the same issues. More of learning to operate a different pump system.

And yeah....still MUCH prefer the mossy and their bulletproof action. But I really can't say anything bad about the Stevens (it has Sun manufacturing on the receiver--a Chinese company--so good reason to be wary it's just that my experience has been relatively positive).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Meh....Mine's a 12 and it's done quite well with quite a bit of ammo through it; I remember getting it really cheap and it had the ghost ring (albeit plastic) sights. It was crazy cheap; like a hundred and eighty bucks all in. And it's been through the ringer in western PA; running and gunning in all kinds of weather in my backyard range. And beat up walking through the woods. It's still ticking.

I did have to crank the rear sight quite a bit left for slugs but that's a minor thing.

The ONLY issue for me is it's a Winchester style so unlocks as soon as you squeeze the trigger. If you're not used to it it can be short or double stroked, but I suspect any shotgun that does this had the same issues. More of learning to operate a different pump system.

And yeah....still MUCH prefer the mossy and their bulletproof action. But I really can't say anything bad about the Stevens (it has Sun manufacturing on the receiver--a Chinese company--so good reason to be wary it's just that my experience has been relatively positive).
The Stevens 301 is also made in China. Here's an article on the field 320
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2015/2/18/hardware-stevens-320-field-grade/

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...The ONLY issue for me is it's a Winchester style so unlocks as soon as you squeeze the trigger. If you're not used to it it can be short or double stroked, but I suspect any shotgun that does this had the same issues. More of learning to operate a different pump system.

I guess Sun stole the tech from Winchester and then offered a cheap substitute?

I have no issue with your opinion of the China Sun gun. If it works well for you, I am all in on it.

Winchester has moved some production to South Carolina to diversify their production facilitates.

I can say that all my guns were made by Americans in American factories.
Win1950.JPG

·
Registered
893 Posts
Great tech and thanks.

My range allows practice with slugs and 00 Buck shot so I can make it work well.
00 Buck is hard to find in 20 gauge, but it is made by one company I know of. #3 Buck is the most common in 20 gauge mostly because of the size which lets more fit into the smaller diameter shell. They also make a #4 Buck in 20 gauge but they are also hard to find. I killed a feral dog with the #3 Buck once and it did fine, but that is my only experience with it.

20 gauge slugs are on par with a 454 Casull handgun round, so far more power than needed for most uses. In bolt action deer shotguns like the Browning or Savage they are a wonderful hunting round.

Not any downside to a short 20 gauge gun for defense, IMHO

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
..20 gauge slugs are on par with a 454 Casull handgun round...

Not any downside to a short 20 gauge gun for defense, IMHO
It is for general defense. As you know, the modern Rem 870 in 3" shells will cause a lot of damage.

We are a Castle State. We have a State Right to protect our business, our property, and our family. No permit is required. I think a 20 gauge will work very well when around innocent folks.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
I have a pretty good collection of guns made in china.
I'd have more but uncle Bill put and end to that in the 90's.
they ain't huge on bright shiny finishes or a lot of internal polishing, but they are hellastout and work every single time I pull the trigger.

Reactions: K75RT

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
they ain't huge on bright shiny finishes or a lot of internal polishing, but they are hellastout and work every single time I pull the trigger.
Yup, I won a 870 copy that is slick as spit at a stag party and a Ithaca M37 copy that is awesome at a game dinner raffle...no issues and inexpensive...FBC!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not agreeing that you buy your stuff from the Communist's in China. I do agree that Americans should have a right to buy where they want to buy.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I've posted this before on other threads, but I have a Mossberg 500 Bantam that I purchased for my kids when then started shooting trap. Since they have all grown, it's become my hallway gun, and rests right next to my bed each night.

A 22" barrel, 5+1 capacity and stuffed with Federal 000 Buckshot. The short barrel and LOP make it a great tool for in tight places.

My 20 ga A5 stays in the safe 99.9% of the time.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Mossberg 500 Bantam Youth Model is not what I want. It is sized down for a teenager.
MossbergYouth.jpg

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,197 Posts
Vintage Racer, you can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge. Utterly reliable, but not easy to find; I think they are almost a special order even though they are in regular production because most people want 12 gauges. It might be worth checking to see if anyone makes a laser magazine cap for them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts