i need advise on a used 9mm as my first gun.any suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by eddm, May 4, 2008.

1. eddm

eddm Guest

can someone suggest a good allaround used 9mm?

2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

manufactures

eddm: Any of the major manufacturers 9mm will be good equipment provided it has been taken somewhat care of. Most of the manufacturers will repair, update, fix for ?minimum? well worth pricing.

You have a good question; a very broad question;

narrow your search too.

What do you want in your firearm.

3. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    So many.
    A few to mention may be a Ruger, S&W, Glock, Hi Power (of various mfg)

4. eddm

eddm Guest

im trying to narrow my search . im in the elgin ill. area and only have one gun range aroubd me. im still waiting for my gun card and want to start pricing while i wait.

5. I picked up a used Beretta 92 for $385 a while back. Its a good gun if you can find one. I also got a like new HiPoint C9 for $100

If you're going used try and find a private individual to buy from, rather than a store. You'll get a better price. What are you wanting out of a 9mm? Home defense? Concealed carry? Plinking? Target matches? What you want makes a huge difference.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  6. deadman03

deadman03 G&G Addict

nc
    i dont have much experiance with different guns, but the smith and wesson i shoot in 9mm is pretty nice, works well, no problems. it doesnt have a lot of fancy features though, its pretty much a basic gun. i dont think that it would be to expensive, my dad has had it a long time so i dont know about the price.

7. eddm

eddm Guest

im looking at target and of course defense.i,d like to make a hobby of this.can i really trust private individuals?

8. 9mm

Berreta 92 or Taurus 92 that should be narrow enough.

9. eddm

eddm Guest

i've seen a couple smith and wessons used and new.i'll check them out , since im still waiting for my gun card i can't even touch them at cabella's or at the range yet.thanks

10. Use common sense. Take along someone who knows guns to the sale. I've bought many guns through private sales. If you get the feeling that somethings not right about the sale. Leave.

11. eddm

eddm Guest

that's great advise thanks

12. Check for adds in the classifieds section of the newspaper or big nickel.

13. +1. There could be bugs in any used gun, even those made by the best manufacturer. If you don't know how to do a safety function check, it's best to have someone along who does.

14. eddm

eddm Guest

i've done that,no luck so far. but the gun shows are coming to this area so i'll wait for those.

see that's what i'm talking about.do certain manufacturers have common defects?

15. USED 9MM

I tell you what man. I have a FEG P9R. Alot of people talked about this gun like it is a piece of crap, but in my opinion this gun is just fine. As long as I can hit my target I am good with it. I also have two Tauruses PT92 and PT100. they are both fine pieces. I also had a Charles Daly 9mm, browning copy that I also love.

Don't forget to visit your local pawnshops.

16. eddm

eddm Guest

17. bigbuddy21

bigbuddy21 G&G Evangelist

i would go with a ruger .9mm your grandkids will be able to give it to their grandkids.

18. I've never liked the looks of the rugers... but I'm a hi point owner, so I'll shut up.

19. eddm

eddm Guest

i've heard more bad than good about rugers.i'm leaning more towards a smith and wesson....anyfeedback?

20. Ruger pistol's are good guns, don't get me wrong. I just think the Rugers look funny.