Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father is an 85 year old WWII Vet and a Korean War P.O.W. who absolutely loves the M1 Garand. He said he'd be dead without it's stopping power and it's the gun itself that saved his life a few times. He had his G.I. issued M1 hocked by his older brother when he got out of the services and hasn't talked to him since. His birthday is coming up and I REALLY want to get him a nice looking M1 Garand. He still asks me if I can find one for him so he can shoot it, Does anyone have a spare M1 that they are willing to sell for a reasonable price?(I know its not cheap) and if no one has one they want to sell...then can anyone tell me where the best place to look for one is? Besides my local gun dealer. I'm waiting for a show to come to town but his B-day is on July 3rd. The next show isn't till July 14th. Anyways I thought I'd just throw that out there. Thanks!:right:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Since your father is a US military vet. He can have a CMP M-1 shipped directly to him. The prices vary depending on the "grade" of the weapon.

But they are in generally good, shootable shape.

Check them out. My father, also a WWII vet has used them to get hisself an M-1

·
Registered
886 Posts
Triplesixkoe - Go to the following website:

www.odcmp.com

You can download the application form for purchasing an M1 Garand. The form tells you what is required to qualify you or your father for purchase of the M1 Garand.

If you have any problems, there, join the Garand Collectors Association (GCA) I believe it costs about $20.00. Membership there will enable you to buy from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP).

The M1 Garands, at the CMP, are genuine USGI, and you never know, he might just get a really good one. They will be $200.00 to $900.00 cheaper than from a gun show or the Internet sources, and they ship it to your door (it doesn't have to go to a local FFL before you can get it).

`

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any thoughts on a H&R vs. a Springfield? (1943) I found a guy with 2 of em and was wondering which one is "better" or holds more value. I'm payin 1,000 bucks for one but I get to choose. If one of em is good then I might buy it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Get a Springfield dude! The OG of the .308 semi.

·
Registered
886 Posts
If it is a 1943, then the Springfield would be a WWII rifle. The H&R's were made post-WWII. Quality should be the same (I know that there are people who will say one or the other is better), and all parts should be interchangeable, regardless of manufacturer, in fact many WWII M1 Garands nowdays will have Winchester and Springfield (the only two WWII manufacturers of M1 Garands) as well as post WWII parts of many different revision levels.

Of course, when the Korean War broke out, contracts were let to H&R, and International Harvester to supplement the Springfield Armory production of M1 Garands (Winchester was no longer in the picture except for some parts and barrels). The parts from all of these manufacturers will interchange. All of the M1 Garands from the original manufacturers (Springfield Armory Gov't, Winchester, H&R, and International Harvester) were made in .30-06. Springfield did some work on converting some M1 Garands to 7.62 x 51mm, and they were issued to the US Navy, though most of those were reconverted to .30-06 when the US Navy received M-14's.

You would be able to purchase a Springfield M1 Garand from the CMP for about $550.00, if you don't have to have it, TODAY.

Do not confuse the Government Springfield Armory of Revolutionary War through early Viet Nam fame, with the Commercial Company called Springfield Armory that exists today in Geneseo, IL. The Commercial Company purchased the name after the Government Springfield Armory was shut down (it was shut down by MacNamara in about 1968), the name was purchased in the late 1970's, and has changed ownership at least one time when it was in Texas, before moving to Geneseo, IL.

Springfield Armory Commercial built some M1 Garands in .30-06, 7.62 x 51mm, and some in .308 (it is marked on the barrels). The receivers of these are Investment Castings not Forgings as used in the USGI M1 Garands. The Springfield Armory Commercial parts do not always work well, and their early M1 Garands used USGI parts, but those are getting harder to find and the prices are getting too high for Springfield Armory Commercial to install them in their products.

`

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Sir,
Go with the CMP. Service Grade. The papers with it show that its a US made M1 Garand. The guys are giving you the right data.
Thanks again
Clancy

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you buy a Garand at a gun show make sure you take someone that knows about the Garand. You can be taken for a ride. I got mine from CMP. I feel that's the only way to go. It cost me 525, and it was in great shape, but you don't always get a Garand that has min. damage, cuts, etc. Mine as it turned out was a WWII vintage and could have been in Korea as well. My advise is to get a book on the Garand and make your choice. Must reading is:
"The M1 Garand: World War II" by Scott A. Duff
"The M1 Garand SERIAL NUMBERS & DATA SHEETS" by Scott A. Duff
These books can be bought at some gun shows.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Everyone!!! Thanks for all the great input on my thread! I just bought an M1 Garand made in 1952 by H&R for the Korean War Era. This gun is flawless! All matching serial numbers on all the components. The wood is also good but I think it is a refinished stock. Either way I'm soo happy an I'm sure my dad will love it. To show my appreciation I'm posting a few pics of the goods. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
Congrat's and that stock looks like a deep color I have done in the past. I wonder if it was one I did in the past?? Rick B

1 - 20 of 32 Posts