Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I decided to see if my AR-15 would cycle ammunition properly, and it didn't. I had the magazine loaded and firmly seated in the well, the safety on and was working the action to see how it worked; it didn't. It took several attempts to get the bolt even to push to round into the chamber, and when I tried to make it eject, it didn't do that either. Tried the foward assist button, didn't do any good.

Now I have the following theories:

1. This rifle was never used and needs a breaking in period before it functions properly.

2. The magazines that came with it are cheap junk.

3. The magazines are fine but the magazine followers aren't.

Does anybody have any experience that might help me with this?

·
Registered
980 Posts
What kind of ar do you have and what ammo you using?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Is it gummed up with grease? Does it need lube?

The only time I've ever had trouble with my AR (Colt HBAR) is when I haven't cleaned it well and/or it needed some oil.

Hope you get it figured out.

ClayMan

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No gunk, no junk, no fouling, and I oiled it just two days ago.

Is it possible I need to let the bolt ride forward on its own momentum rather than pushing it forward myself? Only thing I'm concerned about with that is the possibility of a slamfire situation occurring.

·
I don't take prisoners...
3,885 Posts
You need to take it to a range to see if it will perform OK. Feeding rounds thru it in your bedroom/livingroom won't tell you a whole lot.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Be sure your pulling the bolt all the way back then letting the bolt slam foward on its own dont baby it.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Reddbecca ~

1. Your AR will not "slam fire" ... let the bolt be pushed forward by the buffer spring by simply releasing/pressing the bolt catch on the left of the rifle.

2. The magazines *might* possibly be only 1/2 of your problem. This may be due to a weak magazine spring. This would only apply at the chambering portion of the cycle.

3. If the bolt does not strip a round out of the magazine it can be a few things. Ensure your bolt is installed in the "bolt carrier group" correctly. (The extractor claw should be at 10:00 and the ejector should be at 4:00). This can be fixed as simply as pulling the bolt carrier group apart by pulling the firing pin retaining pin, removing the firing pin, pull the bolt cam and turn over the bolt to reflect what I was referring to above. Reassemble ... but BE SURE TO INSTALL the firing pin retaining pin FROM THE LEFT SIDE ONLY.

*** Orientation of the bolt carrier group, rear of the bolt carrier group facing you ***

Doing so from the right will really cause you more problems than you need.

I hope this information has been helpful...

·
Registered
106 Posts
LarryO1970, I'm glad to see you posting a reply. I'm guessing you've seen just about every known malfunction/problem with the AR-15/M-16, LOL!

But now I'm poluting this thread by getting off topic, sorry.

I just want to reiterate/reinforce M14man's advice...take your gun to the range if you're going to be messing around with live ammo.

ClayMan

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Well... I'll admit, I have not seen "everything" with these but enough to get by on most malfunctions.

I also want to reiterate ClayMan here... if you're playing with live rounds, you'd better be at a range, this is how people get hurt...

Off to work, hopefully this was helpful !

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damage, Larry, you guys were right. I let the bolt slam forward on its own, it slid those rounds right in and held onto the rim nice and tight for extraction purposes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Reddbecca,

Have fun with your new AR. I like the website AR15.com. There is a ton on info on the AR. Specifically, they have a bunch of great guides, manuals, and articles about maintanence, cleaning, dissambly/reassembly, function checks, etc.

Here's the link to the articles/manuals section:

AR15.COM :: Information Library

Have a blast and keep safe!

ClayMan

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Reddbecca, did you receive a GOOD manual for the M16/AR15? IF not, please let me know... I may be able to get you one that is in .pdf format...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry Larry, even though the gun was new the guy I bought it from had misplaced the manual. However the DPMS site has the manual available for download.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Larry is right! Let the bolt slam the cartridge into the chamber through the buffer spring. The weight of the cartridge is taken into consideration when bolts/springs are designed usually preventing a slamfire. Not a good practice to insert a round in an automatic and letting the bolt slam forward. Some extractors aren't designed for this and usually when firing pins do not have a spring, forward momentum can actually set of a primer thus causing the slamfire! When I re-load, I use the harder CCI primer for my auto rifles. . Hope this helps! I did have a chinese SKS do a three burst once--boy was that exciting! Rod

1 - 17 of 17 Posts