i need your help for ak variants.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by paparoach429, May 25, 2008.

1. paparoach429

paparoach429 G&G Newbie

hey everyone im new to this website and i needed some help on a few things. first i wanted to get an sks because i know they are getting more expensive and harder to find. now im looking at an ak47 or one of its variants. my real question is: what are the differences between the wasr10, and some of the other ak variants. and do all of the aftermarket parts fit each other?
    Thanks in advance,
    Alex

2. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

The WASR 10 is a Romanian export gun; most of them were imported by Century.
    Some of them shoot ok, most look like S*#T.
    As for the parts interchange as long as you stay with the country of origin you should be OK. But it I would be on the safe side, and make sure you can return it if it doesn't fit.

3. paparoach429

paparoach429 G&G Newbie

so you think a tapco t-6 stock and a flash hider would fit? also, what kind of mags does it take? regular ak47 mags or special wasr-10 ones? i never seen wasr 10 mags on the web.

4. paparoach429

paparoach429 G&G Newbie

so all ak mags are the same? for the ak47, mak90, maadi, etc....?

5. Hahn

Hahn G&G Newbie

Of all the AKs I would say the WASR you have is the most compliant and versitile of all AKs. They will accept Any AK mag. If one fits too loose and you think the wooble is unbearable get a Bulgarian or polish polymer mag..they perfectly. All mags. will work just fine. Mine has Never ever jammed amazingly accurate at 100 yrds for not having a scope. you can't hurt it...it's a work horse not a pretty gun you put away and take out for show and tell.

6. paparoach429

paparoach429 G&G Newbie

are they the cheapest of the aks also? and i just read a forum where a guy had to use single stack mags. do all of the wasr-10s use single stacks. i really want a ak but that kinda turned me away

7. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

You do know that single stack AKs can be opened up(depending on the laws in your local) to accept the 30rnd mag. It's not hard to do.
    And they usually sell for less.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  8. Hahn

Hahn G&G Newbie

price wise the saiga is the cheapest where I live. I can get one of them for $355 while the WASR10/63 next to it is $450. both are new.

Oh...and if the WASR is a 10 it already takes double stack mags.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  9. paparoach429

paparoach429 G&G Newbie

thx hahn.. so whats really the difference between the saiga and the other ones?

10. Hahn

Hahn G&G Newbie

Saiga is a the Russian AK. Well made. Most would say It's better than WASRs. Saigas now are actually cheaper than WASRs. If you don't mind they're appearance. They have lost their classical AK looks. They look like a typical hunting rifle unless you hang on a lot of accessories. WASRs were made in Romania. Early ones were not too great from what I hear. I think the 10/63 and STG2000 (which was made in the same factory and many of the same parts) were the latest series.
    The quality of the later series are very good for the money. Saigas will not accept all AK mags from what I'ev heard.

11. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

The biggest difference is like Hahn said, you can't use regular AK mags.
    The saigas have the feed ramp built into the front of the mag, and the saiga mags are expensive a 30rd will run you about $50.
    Don't try to make a AK mag work, you will be spitting live rounds out the side, or it will jam all the time.
    And the Saiga's don't have that bad boy look to them, no pistol grip.

12. paparoach429

paparoach429 G&G Newbie

so saigas are pretty much what im NOT looking for then. lol. im just pretty much looking for the cheapest rifle that i can customize and still have the ak look and be able to put all ak parts on it. so what would that be a wasr 10?

13. Hahn

Hahn G&G Newbie

[​IMG]

Nothing wrong with the looks of Billy's Saiga. Don't get me wrong, Saigas are very nice.
    I'm thinking of getting 1 myself.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  14. paparoach429

paparoach429 G&G Newbie

yea i just dont like the look of the handguard. it looks "un-ak-ish" lol
    how much do you think i can get a wasr 10 for or a mak90?

15. AK Hunter

AK Hunter G&G Evangelist

But by the time you get a Saiga to look like that you will have more money in it than a WASR 10. So is the Saiga still cheeper?

16. paparoach429

paparoach429 G&G Newbie

thats kinda why in my last post i was leaning towerds a wasr or mak90

17. For the money I'd say the MAK90.

Irish

18. AnaxImperator

AnaxImperator G&G Newbie

Just keep in mind; you'll get what you pay for, especially with cheap Balkan AK clones. If you can find a cheap Norinco MAK90, go with that (especially if you find one with a milled receiver ;) ). Chinese firearms aren't imported anymore, and likely never will be.
    Norinco's fit & finish on their rifles and handguns runs from acceptable/above-average to impressive/very good. MAK90s have larger barrels & thicker receiver walls, and a double-arm/hook trigger that exhibits a nice, clean pull. The MAK90s I've seen didn't have bayonet lugs, and IIRC the muzzle threads were capped & welded.

I can't say the same for WASRs. They exhibit a gritty & vague trigger-pull, and sometimes painful trigger-slap from a single-hook disconnect. But it doesn't stop there... Some WASRs (and many Yugoslavian M70's) have been found with canted sight & gas-blocks, non-concentric bores, poorly stamped receivers w/ ugly mag-well cutouts (accounting for the oft-encountered mag-wiggle & feeding problems), sloppy-fitting receiver covers, gas-tube latches that are either too-tight or too-loose, and gas ports drilled at bad angles (or drilled into the bottom of the bore). I've even read a few reviews that reported barrels which were actually bent!
    Do a search for WASR10 & WASR22 on Gunsnet.net (AK-47.net), and you can read these reports for yourself.

But if you manage to get a decent WASR, they make good beater plinking rifles. Just don't expect it to be very accurate or pretty. A Romanian SAR-1, WUM-1, or even a CZ-58 would be a better way to get into the 7.62x39 game.
    However, Norinco AKs are good investments, and they shoot very nicely as well.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  19. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

What do you all think if the SAR-1s?