Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think?

I trust the guy (retired LEO). We have done deals before. My gun (it has the box).

He has an old Winchester Model 94 which is a Buffalo Bill Commemorative..

I think he needs to offer me some cash?

·
Premium Member
24,585 Posts
Based on the current market new Henry's are selling above MSRP, whereas in Nov. 2019 I bought my Henry Big Boy Steel 41 Magnum brand new out the door for $714.42. At some point the market will probably return to some semblance of sanity and a used Henry in good condition like yours will be worth several hundred dollars less than some might give for it now. His though being a discontinued commemorative model will maintain some value due to possible collectability, especially if it's unused, has the box, manual, etc whereas the Henry probably won't since Henry has made many of them and there isn't any rarity attached to them like a commemorative model Winchester. Here's some of the completed sales on Gunbroker.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I will add that right before the madness kicked in the Winchester Commemoratives around here didn't really grab too high premium's unless LNIB.
But that's just one Shop and one area of NW Arkansas.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys know the market. I am offering a nice Henry Big Boy on trade or cash money.

I am a hobby guy and will never be in it for any profit. Just saying as I like the Winchester Model 94. This is a Buffalo Bill Commemorative (probably never fired unless I own it).

My collection is all carbines (20" barrel). This is a long rifle (26" barrel) with the octagon design. I may pay up to get it. I do not need it. Look here:

Biden sent me the money. Why not spend it on another nice rifle?

I also think this stimulus economy will increase the value of all nice rifles? I hope to do a deal tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Older 94's will never be made again and should not go down in value. That said, Winchester made commemoratives for everything and anything so I'd be cautious about paying a premium for that; plus I think you'd need the original box to value it higher?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,357 Posts
Keep the Henry. You'll be happier. 😎

·
Premium Member
24,585 Posts
You guys know the market. I am offering a nice Henry Big Boy on trade or cash money.

I am a hobby guy and will never be in it for any profit. Just saying as I like the Winchester Model 94. This is a Buffalo Bill Commemorative (probably never fired unless I own it).

My collection is all carbines (20" barrel). This is a long rifle (26" barrel) with the octagon design. I may pay up to get it. I do not need it. Look here:

View attachment 162712

Biden sent me the money. Why not spend it on another nice rifle?

I also think this stimulus economy will increase the value of all nice rifles? I hope to do a deal tomorrow.
I don't blame you.
Currently the Henry might fetch more money but on down the road my non-professional guess is that the Winchester will be worth more. They aren't making anymore of them and Anthony Imperato is churning out the Henry Big Boys.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks,
I ended up doing a trade. The Winchester is a 1968 Winchester Buffalo Bill Chief of Scouts (30/30 and unfired). It has the octagon 26" barrel The wood and finish are perfect.

It's my third "Commemorative": 1967 Canadian ’67 Centennial and a 1975 Comanche . All unfired and with the boxes. Where else can I find a 1967 Winchester rifle that is unfired with the box? I'll shoot them.

·
Wonderment :)
33,569 Posts
Vintage Racer: Sir; excellent trade 😁. For us vicariously living through your ”new” 😃
a review with pictures 🎉 When you can

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Craig,
Thank you for your kind words.

I own this 1968 Buffalo Bill, a 1967 Canadian Centennial, and a 1975 Comanche. All unfired in 30/30 with boxes. Average price is $500. I call them all well bought to the replacement value.

I have a perfect 1950 pre-64 as well as a nice 1949 pre-64 Winchester at great prices. Also a big discount to replacement. I have my original Model 94 that I bought new (~1974).

The two Marlin 336c with scopes (someone else sighted them in perfectly) just showed up in the local forums. It is more than fun when talking to the seller about guns. Most sellers have a carry on them. I kept mine back in the car.

I say be patient, and the carbines will come to you.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
170 Posts
From my limited experience, I think that was a good trade. The Henry was a nice rifle but that Winchester has unique features and limited production numbers whose manufacture will never be repeated. I would say from a value standpoint, the Winchester will only increase in value while the Henry will plateau at a value and not appreciate much further. Plus, the Winchester is just damn cool with the long hex barrel and polished brass/plated parts.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
That reminds me I have a Winchester 94 project thats been sitting in my closet for a year.
Still looking for wood in my budget range.
The 30/30 was stripped of magazine and sights and Im guessing busted butt and repurposed forearm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts