i-pass/ez-pass confusion

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by anykey, Jun 28, 2013.

1. anykey

anykey Suspended

I want to go to Chicago to see family 2x a year.

Tolls are $15 for i80 in Ohio, $7.80 for i80 in Indiana, and $0.75 in IL. Each way. So around $50 just for tolls.

I been looking at options. We added me to my brothers IL account- but not sure if I need a transponder. The cost with one is $10.25 OH, $4.18 IN, and .55 in IL. each way. So around $30 for tolls.

He thinks as long as my plate is connected to his account- I should have no trouble.

I was looking at each state- each has $10 deposit- and a $3 annual fee and 2 states have .75 and $1 monthly fee.

Im not sure what I will do.

As far as I can tell-- only IL had a disabled discount. Not quite a discount- but the recharge is a lesser amount.

My license plate is connected to his transponder- and he says they take a picture and deduct that way- call to confirm. I called and was on hold for 20 minutes before I hung up.

I phoned AAA- while they do not offer transponders yet locally- they plan to.

I am having them do a trip ticks that would show a route with no tolls- which is US 30. I hear mixed opinions on taking US 30 to avoid tolls.

2. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

You could use Google map or similar and route around most of the tolls if you aren't in a big hurry. I 70 runs across the middle of Ohio and Indiana, through/around Columbus, toll free. U.S. 20 parallels 30 but you'll slow down for towns about every hour to half hour. Route 2 runs along the Lake Erie shore, about 10 or so miles inland. Spend a little time messing around with options on the mapping programs and you might find the trip more fun anyways.

I don't mind the convenience of EZ Pass etc. but don't like the idea of the network knowing where I am. Like On-Star, I do without it.

3. TNPIRATE

TNPIRATE Landlubber Pirate Forum Contributor

Interstates are boring. All ya see is the interstate. Take the US highways, and state routes and you see Ameirca.

And the toll without the EZ and I pass is still cheap. Ya ain't paid a toll till ya drive a semi. Paid 100 bucks to run the PA turnpike once. When ya go through the truck toll booth it has a scale and goes by weight. I was glad to get PrePass for scales and tollroads.

:swordfight:

4. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

If you need to go through GunBan Central to the north side, figure at least an hour of moving parking lot.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted