Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into an army-navy surplus store today on impulse, and they had several M1 Garand bayonets. The guy told me the original WWII issue bayonet, not in the best of condition, would run me about $100. Looking on Ebay, I see exactly the same thing going for easily more than that.

The store was on Highway 1 in California, just about 30 or 40 miles north of Half Moon Bay where I went camping with my mom. I'm shipping out for the Army in a week here, so I wasn't thinking clearly about putting some good money into a good WWII relic because I wouldn't be able to see it (or my Garand, for that matter) for at least 9 weeks. I walked out with a .50 cal ammo can for $20 instead.

I think I know where I'm going for my leave after basic training right around Christmas.

·
Registered
886 Posts
phrogg - That would be in Xaxixixa (coded to protect the innocent). I might stop there to see what is available, and if I see a bayonet or two, we might just be in the chips, and share the goodies when you are on your Basic Training Leave. This is all assuming me getting there before the goodies are gone, the important thing is for the items to be captured by friendlies, and shared when possible.

I will post what I find, and we can evaluate it. Never been in the specific store, I have no idea what it is or even where it is, but since I know the area fairly well (my brother used to live there) it won't be hard to find.

The last time I found a real honest to goodness Army-Navy Surplus store, I was able to get a few items that are in my collection(s), and it seemed to suddenly evaporate (it was about half a mile from my house), just disappeared overnight!

`

1 - 3 of 3 Posts