I posted a thread just before the format change, new owner

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JackT, Mar 19, 2002.

1. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

Since I am 45 and haven't gotten bifocals yet, I bought an M1 maybe I shouldn't have. Anyone ever encoutered altered serial #s? mine looks like 23657, but with magnification an additional 6 appears to be on the end. Drawing # has SA3 on the end. Serial number is not centered without 6 digits. There does not appear to be a weld on the receiver, but I want to besure. Jack T

2. Armorer

Armorer Guest

Not knowing squat about serial numbering on M1s.
    These folks may:

http://www.jouster.com/serial/springfield.html

It could be a miss stamp. Which means it is worth even more :)

How can you say you shouldn't have bought the greatest firearm in the world Huh?

3. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

Not questioning buying an M1, Just this M1. Been wanting one for years. I've been staying up late learning how to break down and reassemble and read everything in print and on the net. My fiance' says I'ver been going to Garand World.

4. JackT, most of the reweld receivers were originally cut toward the back of the receiver around the op rod rail. Go to the Garand Information Place(Fulton Armory) to see photos of a rewelded receiver. Check for discoloration and misalignment of the rail(s).

Armorer may have something there about the misstruck serial number! I have seen photos of a couple that had one of the numbers laying on it's side! Love to have one of these rare rifles but the commanding officer(wife) would probably question the purchase. ;)

Hope you find the information you are seeking.

5. JackT

JackT G&G Newbie

I am probably going to ship the rifle to Orion for inspection and possible barrell replacement. Seems the safest thing to do at this point. Thanks for the pointers. JTalley