Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...In case you didn't know what a Kel-Tec SU-16 is, it's this weird gun with everything you never knew you needed, plus everything you did need... And then some. Think short, futuristic, AK-looking thing that takes M-16 mags, folds, and has an integral folding bipod and scope mount.

Picture and official site:
http://www.kel-tec.com/su-16_rifle.htm

Well... I spent about $80, and it was my first time shooting at 100 yards (i'm 17 years old). I've never shot a .223 before, nor have I shot at 100 yards before, but I think I might have to again some time in the future.

Anyway, supposedly this gun is better than a Mini-14 as far as accuracy goes (groupings of about 3 MOA at 100 yards). It takes magazines from an M-16, and you can hold either the two 10-round magazines that come with it or one 30-round magazine inside the bottom part of the buttstock. The foregrip folds out into a bipod. There's a rail built into the gun for a scope. On top of all that, if you push out a pin, the entire gun folds in half, and the trigger guard fits inside the mag well. This version of the gun can't shoot when it's folded, so it's legal in California (where I am now).

I used the "iron" sights on the gun, which consist of a circlular rear sight and a hooded peg front sight. The peg is a piece of orange plastic, which i guess is referred to as "fiber-optic"... Whichever. The sights worked well enough. I managed to get 55 out of 60 shots on the paper at 100 yards, and for the first time shooting this thing and the first time ever shooting at that distance... Woo.

The gun did jam about 5 times during the 240 rounds I put through the gun. That's probably because the people who actually own the gun only clean out their rentals once every few months. o_O Not a good idea, but hey, I'm alive. Good enough.

I also could have rented a Mini 14 or an Bushmaster XM-15 (the fairly short version), but I liked the sights on this thing better, plus it was shorter than them both, so I figured hey, why not? I had a nice day of fun, and I came back with some targets to prove it.

I've heard a few people wanting info on the gun, and I did my best to get used to the thing... The bolt is attatched to the cocking handle, so you can use it as a forward assist. The only thing I didn't like is that the bolt probably doesn't stick out far enough... Three times, the empty shell got stuck in the chamber, and it wasn't easy to get the thing out. The bipod is a little wobbly, but it held up fine... the bench rest I was on was a little crooked, so I put the bipod on a small sandbag and then the gun was perfect. The thing I hated most was that the spring loaded switch to fold the bipod back into a foregrip had a really tough spring, and both sides had to be pulled back at once. I had to line up the grip then shove the fingernails of one finger on each hand in each side of the gun, pull on the thing, then push the foregrip together to get the switch to stay.

Other than that, the gun was great. It only weighs about 4 and a half pounds when loaded with a 10 round mag, but even with it's light weight, the 10 rounds I shot standing were nothing compared to the shotguns and the M1 Garand I've shot at my friend's property. The gun was still perfectly accurate (within 3 inches at 25 yards) as I was just shooting for fun.

The gun retails for between $500-$700. When I turn 18 and can buy guns, this is going to be within the first 3 guns I buy.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
While the Keltec is not a bad gun (I'd buy it over the Mini-14 anyday), I think it's way too overpriced for it's breed (cheesy plastic). I was thinking of getting one sometime ago until I felt it - I couldn't get myself to spend $500 on something that wasn't even finished properly and felt so danged flimsy - that bipod feels like it would come apart in your hand if you tug at it some. I wouldn't even think of comparing it to a Garand (and I don't think it would outshoot a Garand). If they'd priced it for say $200, maybe I would have reconsidered. I really don't think it's going to last over the years. Plus, it apparently overheats quickly (thanks Big Dog, I read some more and other people said the same).

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Ive looked at them...Im glad you had fun (main thing about going shooting...even a bad day at the range beats a good day at work)...but just cant get myself to give up the $$ for it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, ShooMac.

Overheating, I'm not exactly sure about. The range I went to didn't let me shoot rapid fire (that's one of their rules). When I was shooting 20 rounds at a time, the gun didn't overheat at all, so... Whichever. I'd bet if you're emptying 30 round M-16 mags, yeah, it'd overheat, especially if you're not using the bipod, but hey, whichever.

Basicly, I like the thing. In the long run, I bet it'll be fine... The outside just looks a little cheap. The only thing that might break would probably be the bipod, yeah, I agree, but when it's folded up, it's really sturdy (I forgot the bipod was there until I remembered back to when I read about it online).

The sights are better than the Mini-14, the accuracy is supposed to be better, and the gun is surely more fun. I think I found a replacement for that gun - just not for the M-16.

It's a bummer the range can't take better care of the rental guns... Maybe I can get a job there. =D

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Maybe someday when the novelty wears off they'll start selling used - I wouldn't mind one if it were much cheaper. With a red dot it would make a fun plinker.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,011 Posts
Thanks for the report, Phrogg. Glad you had fun with it. A range buddy of mine got the SU-16, and we shot it a few times now. He's mostly a pistol guy, so I showed him some pointers on rifle handling.
Our initial problem was the sights. We couldn't get enough adjustment for windage to get it centered. He finally got the better optional rear sight and an aftermarket front sight - it shoots on target now. I haven't read of other owners with this problem, so it's probably just an abberation, and Ray was just the unlucky one!
Function has been great - any ammo, GI magazines, all okay! The forearm is more solid than I expected, when the 'bipod' is closed. I'd like to scope it, but Ray is an 'open sight' kind of guy. :cool:
Once we got the sights sorted out, I was fairly pleased with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts