Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking my game camera yesterday and found two Feral Pigs coming to a water hole in the after noon so today I took my 50th Anniversary Ruger 10 /22 for a walk thru the woods up wind of the water hole and spotted two Red & Black feral hog's a Boar & Sow shoats . I used a pine tree for a brace and placed a shot between the Sows eyes the Boar ran into the thicket but the Sow dropped like a stone I put that CCI Velocitor Copper Plated Hollow Point between that Sow's eyes she just dropped .

This is what my trail Camera told me about the Water Hole and the time they were around it so today I took a walk Down Wind of the Water Hole
I snuck up on two Red & Black Feral Hogs one Boar one Sow I got with in 50 yards of them and took the Sow with a head shot between the eyes.

This is my 50th Anniversary Ruger 10/22 Rifle .

Little 50 Pound Feral Hog Sow Shoat .

The Last two Feral Hogs Hickory smoked ribs was dinner Easter Sunday .

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
I was checking my game camera yesterday and found two Feral Pigs coming to a water hole in the after noon so today I took my 50th Anniversary Ruger 10 /22 for a walk thru the woods up wind of the water hole and spotted two Red & Black feral hog's a Boar & Sow shoats . I used a pine tree for a brace and placed a shot between the Sows eyes the Boar ran into the thicket but the Sow dropped like a stone I put that CCI Velocitor Copper Plated Hollow Point between that Sow's eyes she just dropped .

This is what my trail Camera told me about the Water Hole and the time they were around it so today I took a walk Down Wind of the Water Hole
I snuck up on two Red & Black Feral Hogs one Boar one Sow I got with in 50 yards of them and took the Sow with a head shot between the eyes.

This is my 50th Anniversary Ruger 10/22 Rifle .

Little 50 Pound Feral Hog Sow Shoat .

The Last two Feral Hogs Hickory smoked ribs was dinner Easter Sunday .
Those are a breed named "Spotted Poland China",. This breed is also known as Warren County Hogs" from Ohio. The breed developed from 6 breeds of Ohio hogs in 1816. They can be a number of colors.
Great shooting and cooking. Thx for your post. 👍

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My Hog was a mix breed of 3 Duroc & Gloucestershire Russian Boar Mix according to the Wild Life Biologist I work with who takes DNA samples and checks them for radiation due to the fact these Hogs are in close proximity to the nuclear power plant .The Hog was just about 8 months old and she was able to breed a young mature Duroc Mix Boar was with her it's possible he was from a litter from the the sow who delivered her 8 months ago. These Mature Sows have a litter of 10 twice a year so I target Sows first that has reduce the population of 300 Hogs I killed this year 200 were Sows this will have a big impact in the area I am contracted in.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Between the eyes or in the ear is usually fatal.
And it doesn't take a big caliber either.
I know a lady who routinely uses a CZ 527 in 22 Hornet.
I would like to have a CZ 527 .22 Hornet but the cost of ammo is much more than .22 LR Ammo. I've used .22 LR , 9MM , .45 ACP , .308 , .223 , 300 Black Out , .224 Valkyrie , 38 special , 357 Magnum 12 & 20 Gauge 00 Buckshot to kill Hogs but I prefer the .357 Magnum ,9MM , .223 Carbine Rifles .

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amazing what ya can drop with a .22 Nice looking gun with the stainless and black stock. My R/A Ruger compact in 22 magnum is my favorite hands down.
Yes many people underestimate the .22 LR and view it as a toy ! The .22 Caliber rimfire Rifle & Pistol is deadly in the hands of a skilled shooter who knows where to place his shot with precision accuracy.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
My Hog was a mix breed of 3 Duroc & Gloucestershire Russian Boar Mix according to the Wild Life Biologist I work with who takes DNA samples and checks them for radiation due to the fact these Hogs are in close proximity to the nuclear power plant .The Hog was just about 8 months old and she was able to breed a young mature Duroc Mix Boar was with her it's possible he was from a litter from the the sow who delivered her 8 months ago. These Mature Sows have a litter of 10 twice a year so I target Sows first that has reduce the population of 300 Hogs I killed this year 200 were Sows this will have a big impact in the area I am contracted in.
That is interesting, thanks. The Duroc bore linage numbers 600. This is the edge of the Boar linage. So DNA is very limited. Most livestock is judged by Ranchers and Farmers experience. :unsure:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts