I Want to Buy An Air rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Taurus Fan, May 14, 2008.

1. Friend just got one and is having a ball shooting pigeons, I'd like to join in but I don't know anything about them. I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible, any tips?

2. Last edited: May 15, 2008

3. Man have I been living in the dark ages , up imtil this very moment I had never heard of a airgun shot shell. I love a good airgun and thay are always part of my survival gear. but airgun shot shells ?? how do thay work ??

4. binfordw

binfordw Guest

What exactly are you considering "accurate"?

I have yet to hear an honest, positive review of that rifle.

Air shotguns have been around for ages, but have always been more of a novelty than a useful tool.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  5. Any models I should stay away from?

6. binfordw

binfordw Guest

There really isn't any models you CAN avoid for a $100 budget Im afraid.

IF it was my $100, and I just had to buy a cheap airgun- I'd probably buy a QB78 or such, a cheap, CO2 rifle.

I wouldn't waste my time trying to get a spring powered gun for that budget.

7. This is the shot shell Privateer.
    GAMO USA - Adult precision airguns, ammunitions, accesories and optics

And when you shoot a .22 pellet, you insert this into the chamber and remove it to shoot the shot shells.
    GAMO USA - Adult precision airguns, ammunitions, accesories and optics

I consider accurate to be I hit what I'm aiming at, with out the assistance of a scope from. approx. 25yards and more away, with a pellet and the target is/was the bottom of a coke can while it laying on its' side, standing without the aid of any rest. The bottom of a coke can is what, about a 3 inch target? About 3" would be my guess anyhow.

With the Shot Shell, I shot at a can from approx. 10 yards away, and it put most of the shot into and through the can and into the plywood behind it.

I also shot the shot shell ammo from approx 20 yards and again, hit the can but with no where near as many shot. I'd say about half. Keep in mind, there isn't a whole lot of shot packed into the shells first off. And secondly, it ISN'T a shotgun and lastly, per the paperwork that came with it, you'll get about a 12 inch pattern from about 10 yards away. So obviously the farther out you are, the bigger the pattern. And I have to drive home the fact, THIS ISN'T A SHOTGUN, IT'S A PELLET GUN THAT SHOOTS SHOT SHELL. lol

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  8. Are the really good ones powered by springs? Not compressed air? I really don't know anything about them.

9. binfordw

binfordw Guest

The "Really good ones" are those manufactured to high tolerances out of quality materials.

I will go a bit out on a limb- for fear of disturbing the springer-fans, and say that yes, the Pre-charged, (High-pressure air) airguns are likely the most capable design. They do have their downsides of course, but strictly used as a hunting tool, they are second to none.

There really are no cheap precharged airguns. The Crosman one is probably as low-end as you will find, and its still $300+.

10. ba_50

ba_50 G&G Newbie

There was a recent article in the Illinois Shooting newpaper about a Crosman 2100 for around $80. He wrote one or two books on air rifles and he was really impressed with the accuracy of this air rifle. Pellets and BB's. I'm checking them out myself. His choice for shooting starlings.

11. Oh hell......n00B question, what does "break-barrel" mean? I know the barrel cocks down and back, is that a spring-powered mechanism? A powerful one-pump pnuematic? What?

12. binfordw

binfordw Guest

13. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Be careful with the under-$100 cheapies - I bought a Spanish-made (not Gamo-marked) break-barrel from Wally's for $99. Fairly accurate, and looks pretty good - but the trigger is horrid! Stiff and rough - and the way it's made, it can't be smoothed.
    My BIL has a nice Gamo hunter that was in the $150 range I think - it shoots and handles much better.
    I find that CO2 guns shoot much better, have better triggers, and are far more accurate at a reasonable distance. The extra cost of the CO2 cartridges puts it into the same ammo price range as .22 rimfire though.
    They won't trash the scope either, like spring-air guns can.

14. check out compasseco inc. tech force 99 mag springer underlever $109.95 OR THE 99 PREMIER w/ scope $143.96 , a benjamin model 392 pump in .22 cal. $139.99 another site is pyrmyd air . do some research before you buy and read reviews on the various models that intrest you then shop for the best price.

15. Synthetic

Synthetic Guest

Hi there, I have a crosman phantom break barrel air gun in .177 and it does 1000fps. Took out heaps of rabbits and possums with it.
    Accuracy is good, I can shoot 2.5 cm groups at 30m
    The only problem is that the screws are too greasy out of the box and so they always came loose after a few dozens of shots. It was easily fixed by taking out the screws, wipe off the grease and apply some loctite.
    It should be about 2/3 the price of a Gamo Shadow with similar accuracy, power and a better trigger.

.:: Crosman: Phantom 1000 ::.

16. Joe Jeep

Joe Jeep Guest

Dude, look no further then the Benjamin Sheridan .20 Blue streak. I have shot everything from crows, starlings, Squirrels and even a 20lb coon.

I can shoot a 1 inch group at 35 yards. Cant get much better then that.

Check out Cableas for either the Gun or the Gun scope Combo.

17. Gamo viper express. I know it's a little more that 100 bucks but it uses a shotshell and it ought to do the job well. Besides if you want to use it as a rifle you can use a pellet.

18. binfordw

binfordw Guest

It gets ALOT better than that, actually. :)

19. Joe Jeep

Joe Jeep Guest

Shooting free hand. No bench.