Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok as the title says, I have a yugo SKS that I am interested in refinishing the wood stock with. I know, I could buy an aftermarket stock that folds or a monte carlo stock...But I personally like the wood. It is a little greasy(cosmoline) so what could I do to clean it up...I heard baking it in the oven or even wrapping it in newspaper and setting it in the sun works. But after that then what? Should I sand it down and put some wood stain on it? Or do I need a special stain or oil and protectant to put on it. I would like a little help on this one guys. Please accept my thanks in advance. ~Triple

·
Registered
155 Posts
i havent refinished an sks but i have a few other rifles...i didnt heat treat the stock and havent had a problem...i stripped the old finish off and put tung oil on one and boiled linseed on the other....i prefer the boiled linseed oil but thats just my personal taste

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Some guys use Oven Cleaner (Nasty) to remove oil and finish from stocks, I use Mineral spirits to degrease and acetone for followup cleaning. Sand the stock carefully with the Grain (Sanding sponges from ACE hardware work Great!) ,Wipe with Denatured alcohol, Then I apply an Oil based Stain 3 coats,applied with fine steel wool...Dry overnite,followed By TOL oil applied Lightly with a paper towel and rubbed with a sheet of notebook paper let dry for 3 hours and repeat 3 times and let it dry ! If you use linseed oil be Careful with your rags as they will Spontaneously Combust and start a fire !
Rich

·
Premium Member
7,702 Posts
I have used oven cleaner when I was removing some the finish from some Mini-14 stocks. Its nasty and well dangerous. Use a power washer to get most of the stuff off...but not tear the wood...too much hassle personally...but it worked.
refinished it with some really nice oil, and man they are a beauty. I will have to go take a few pictures of them.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I have re-finished over 20 SK stocks and each one I approach differently depending on the condition.

Most of the time I take the bare stock and leave it in the sun for an hour or two, this makes it more receptive to the chemicals that you will saturate it with. Next, take your chemicals to it. I really like this stuff called oops, it comes in an arosal can and it is made to clean tuff stains off of wooden furnature. It is personal preferance what you use really, mineral spirits, thinners, degreasers, they all have their advantages. I spray the entire stock with that stuff all over and let is sit for a few minutes then wipe off with a rag and blow the rest off with an air hose. Repeat this process untill stock is clean it may take the entire can if the stock is really grimey. Now time for sanding. Depending on the wood it is made with and the condition determines the grit of the paper. It is safe to say that you can start out with some maybe 200 or 220 and sand it until it is perfectly smooth. Now take 0000 steel wool and polish it. Then, take some boiled linseed oil to it. Take the foam brush, dab it in, and lightly apply it. Use very very very thin layers at a time. Apply one layer and let it completely dry, may take all day. THen go over it with a new piece of the 0000 steel wool to ruff it up just a bit. DO NOT RUFF IT TOO MUCH. Then apply more layers of the oil. repaet process until you have the desired finish.

Click on the pic.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The GoJo hand cleaner without the grit works great for getting the cosmoline and any other oils out of wood. You just rub it on, brush it with a toothbrush if you have to to get the thick stuff off, let it sit 5 or 10 minutes then rinse off with water. dry it as good as you can with a towel and then hang to dry thoroughly for at least a day. I've done this to probably half a dozen stocks now and it's worked every time. Most of the time (unless there's some nicks or scrfatches) you don't even need to sand after this. Just start oiling or staining...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Nope, sounds like the handguard has been replaced. I have a lot of SKS and all the wood furnature matches. IF you strip all the wood down I bet you can match them up pretty close.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts