I was going to get an M1 Garand

Discussion in 'M1 Garand' started by JamesRyan, Aug 22, 2010.

1. JamesRyan

JamesRyan G&G Newbie

I always wanted to shoot an M1. It's probably my favorite gun of all time, and I was going to get one, until I noticed the price of ammo. Where do you guys go for ammo? PREFERABLY (if its not its fine) non-corrosive.

2. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    In my basement in pieces that I have to put together.

3. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Evangelist

I bought my Garand from a private owner who also had 700 rounds all loaded in enblocks that I have not used up yet.

Michael

4. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

CMP is the best place for milsurp ammo. I don't believe the HXP stuff is corrosive, but I treat it like it is anyway. I reload for mine.

5. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    It is non corrosive. I have fired many thousands of rds of it over the years.
    Went through over 500 rds in the last couple weeks

6. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

HXP is non corrosive and boxer primed so an excellent source for mil surp ammo and brass.

I also reload but the CMP is a resource I can not help but tap into to.

7. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

8. texnmidwest

Thanks Chazam!!! good thinkin!

9. Laufer

Laufer G&G Enthusiast

You will find it on 'GB' auctions, But, lots of the M2 Ball is from the CMP and always marked up a bunch for sellers' pure profit.
    It's the same thing at gun shows.

Don't be fooled by any sellers' claims on 'GB' about any scarcity or such baloney..., as the CMP has enough to last quite a while, if "all else remains the same" in Wash. DC....Some sellers might even claim that it is 'tracer ammo'.
    This marketing trick is common when listing '.303' (.310) or .308 bullets for reloading.

A friend/co-worker (retired from the Navy Marks. Team) has a buddy who works at the Camp Perry, OH store during matches and has seen the heaps of stored ammo, as is also the case at Anniston, AL.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  10. Was going to? You should change it back to, getting one.

11. M2MikeGolf

M2MikeGolf G&G Newbie

I think these days, reloading seems to the best bet. However, if you can't reload (believe it or not, I live in a country where you must have go through an expensive course and obtain a license in order to reload), then I recommend the Hornady made for M-1 match ammo, but that's probably what shocked you with the cost in the first place, I'm guessing, it ain't cheap. I pay a fortune for it where I am, but it's about my only option.

Anyone know whatever happened to the "M2 ball" ammo that Federal used to sell? Did they just not have enough sales for it? If I recall, it was pretty inexpensive, too.

12. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Federal stills makes a Garand load

13. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

The CMP has Garand food on sale right now. A 250 round belt (metal links) in a .30 cal can for $100. Just ordered myself one.

14. FS00008

FS00008 Сергей Иванович Мосин. Forum Contributor

Why do you have to go through a course and obtain a license to reload?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are the laws like if you were to use a firearm in self defense in Germany?

15. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    Unfortunatly it sold out today

16. texnmidwest

They only had 100 cans. I jumped as quickly as I knew it was available. Got one can on the way!

17. Orlando

Orlando G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    I was going to order a few cans yesterday and forgot about it. Went to do it today and it was gone.
    Oh well, snooze ya lose

Tex, ya get your Garand figured out?