I was thinking about getting an AK/SKS

Discussion in 'AK47' started by JamesRyan, Aug 17, 2010.

1. JamesRyan

JamesRyan G&G Newbie

The only problem is, I have absolutely no idea which ones are good. The highest I'd pay is probably $600. Any help?

2. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Saiga 7.62x39. Best on the market for the price right now in my opinion.

3. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

^ ^ may be true

You'll have to elaborate a little. The best for what?

There are some minor differences in the function and capabilities of the SKS and AK, and even among the different AK variants.

So, please elaborate on the primary and secondary purposes of this rifle.

$600 will get you almost any AK/SKS you could want, but there's no need in spending extra cash on features you don't care for.

4. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Best because it's dirt cheap compared to any other AK-47 variant on the market, and is better quality than 95% of them. They're brand new production and that in itself is a big plus. You aren't buying a used rifle or a rifle re-manufactured from used parts. They have the reliability of an AK-47 and from all reports I've seen, some of the best accuracy in the AK-47 family, perhaps even better than a mint SKS. Right now, the only SKS that will cost less than a Saiga is a used Yugo that may or may not work 100% or have a bore that is 100%. The Saiga is also lighter than an SKS. The Saiga comes with a detachable 10rd mag, so that puts it's firepower on par with the SKS. It isn't hard to convert the Saiga to use standard AK-47 mags and with that you have all the 5,10, 20, 30, 40, 75, 100rd mags and drums at your disposal. Buying a Saiga and converting it will still cost less than $600 and will essentially be a brand new rifle.

5. CAV88

CAV88 G&G Newbie

id go with a century wasr-10 there about 450 otd, never had a problem with mine, i put a quad rail and grip and a few other upgrades on mine and i love it. so did my brother, enough to go out and buy one himself lol

6. I am biased towards the Yugo SKS and always will be. A great value too.

7. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

Do you want more than ten round capacity and quick detachable mags?
    Do you prefer a fixed or folding stock?
    What about an optics rail?

For $600 you can get a nice AK with all those features.

8. BarryHalls

Sorry, I second line one at the OP. Admirably answered though.

I will say that WASRs are still cheaper than Saiga, but the difference in price isn't equal to the difference in quality by any means. The tolerances are tighter, which gives you that higher accuracy, BUT it does decrease reliability, BUT it's still an AK and STILL more reliable than any AR on the market.

I'd ballpark the conversion with parts equaling the quality of the rifle at about (that is to say the best out there and the only ones I would use on a Saiga), at about $750 plus the magazine well conversion which can be done at home for nothing. Now, that's including a bayonet lug, muzzle break, US made trigger, and 2 milsurp 30rd mags, all the best available, which will deliver practically the best rifle that can be had, for what it is, IMO.

With the cheapest parts that will work it can be done for a total of $400, but again, I wouldn't do that to a good rifle.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  9. BarryHalls

Indeed, a bulgy 74 (great rifle, but not 7.62x39) + good optics and mount would run about $550.

10. thoricuncle

thoricuncle G&G Newbie

Two weeks ago, I had the same dilemna.

I went with the Saiga. My son and I took it to the range last Friday. It was great. He is now saving up for his own.

Conversion to AK is not too bad and learning what 922r means has been fun (sarcasm). But I really don't have need for a large cap magazine and I have the skeletonized stock so it comes with a pistol grip. I might do it down the road.

11. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

My Saiga in .223. All done for less than 450 bucks.....

[​IMG]

12. BarryHalls

Nicely done.

I'm not a fan of the for-grips, but there's nothing WRONG with them, and keeping them and not moving the trigger guard saves some dough.

13. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

The Yugo AK's are where it's at IMHO.

14. BarryHalls

Yugos are good, but give them a chrome lined barrel and you've got a Chinese :)

15. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

Well played, you're in rare form tonight Mr. Halls!

16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Not if you want that Chinese to fire grenades!

17. BarryHalls

If I had a grenade launcher I might be concerned.

Still no word from the OP as to what he wants this rifle for.

I'll just dive in.

If you just want an AK to have an AK, get a WASR, they are better these days than they have been in the past and dirt cheap.

If you want one of the best, get a Saiga, or Chinese.

Either of those will have to be converted, with a little time, work, and money to be military styled, but rest assured they are the best. They can be purchased, used, already converted, OR preban, but they cost a LOT more than doing it yourself.

Next I'd recommend Bulgarian Lancaster.

After that. . . I wouldn't bother too much, they are either too expensive because of rarity (which MAY apply to Chinese to some degree) or kits part junk. There ARE some other great rifles, but they are generally well over $600.

If you want optics (as I wish I had), look for the mounting bracket on the left side of the receiver. It's a funny looking little plate with curly shaped notches on it.

IF you want an SKS, which will be more accurate, but less reliable (though still dang good) compared to any AK. Close your eyes and point. You'll do fine :).

SOME SKS were imported already accepting AK-47 magazines (me likey!) rather than the standard 10 round built in SKS mag. Now, these were generally shortened down to 16-18". IMO this is a good thing, because it makes the weapon easier to wield, without giving up too much.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  18. BarryHalls

:cool2:

19. I tend to agree. But I'd give caution as they too are susceptible to canted front sight and or gas block.

If you order or by inline, make sure they have an inspection period or return policy for this. If you buy in person, be it at a local shop or private sale, I have three (3) words for you and suggest you follow them. As far as buying an AK goes that is. But those three (3) words are--- INSPECT, INSPECT, INSPECT!!!

20. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i have a saiga.308that i converted to p-grip,20 round mag., a wasr10 and a yugo sks.
    they all work fine.
    but the saiga is the most accurate from a solid benchrest.
    the wasr is the handiest.
    if i was going into a zombie war or other firefight i'd choose the wasr.
    the yugo is heavy but it is very cool.

p.s.
    all of them were purchased new/unfired

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010