IAI Carbine

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Lanny, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Lanny

Lanny G&G Newbie

Big 5 in my neck of the woods is selling new IAI M1 Carbines for $499. Is this a good deal? What kind of accuracy can I expect and are the guns reliable? Thanks.

2. LOBO

LOBO G&G Newbie

AMerican Rifleman did a article on them and they are excellent.
    Go to the IAI web site and they have a copy of one of the articles. I havent decided yet but I narrowed my next rifle to the IAI Carbine or the Ruger Mini14. From what I have read in all the other forums the IAI is made to US issue specs thus all parts interchange with the surplus rifles. Iwent this weekend to my local shop to look one over and they are exactly like my old IBM M1 only nice and new, its the real deal for under $500.00.

3. Zardoz

Zardoz G&G Newbie

I just got an IAI Carbine, and noticed that the trigger housing looks like a "laminated" type of construction-almost like it was cut into slices, then re-assembled. Has anyone else seen this, and is it cause for concern?

4. this is called 'astamped and brazed' it was a manufacturing process incorporated into USGI carbine designs

5. Zardoz

Zardoz G&G Newbie

Many thanks, Robert C! I also got the same answer over at AR15.com, so with 2 positive replies from 2 different boards, my worries are over!

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

7. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

[​IMG]

IAI (Israeli Arms International) M1 .30 Carbine With UltiMAK M6 mount and Aimpoint CompM2 reflex sight. Incredibly light, easy to handle and easy to shoot. People trying it for the first time are always surprised at how wonderfully this little rifle shoulders, points and fires. With modern expanding bullets, it's quite effective out to 150 yards. 110 grains at 1900 F.P.S. exceeds all but the most powerful side arm loads, and this carbine can shoot far more accurately. Think of it as a .357 magnum that shoots as easily as a .22 rifle

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I've got nothing but praise for my little IAI Carbine. Light, handy and reliable. It takes the aftermarket 30-round mags, and will shoot inside two inches at 50 yards, with peep sight and my eyes.
    The wood finish initially left a bit to be desired, but a basic refinish job fixed that. The metal is parkerised, and it will need a few magazines thru it for a good "break-in". Expect a few jams until it's slicked up. This is standard with any new parked gun.
    Mine has the perforated metal handguard and no barrel band - some IAI's have the wood handguard and/or the GI-style barrel band.
    I paid $450 for mine at a gunshow, after passing up an Enforcer that "needs work" for $550.
    Genuine GI carbines go for $650 and up down here - out of my price range. Even the el-cheapo Universals go for $350!